CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: High Gloss stock finish
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

I tried doing a search to find an answer but I came up dry. Does anybody know how to get that liquid high gloss finish on a gun stock just like the factory does? Is it a "two part" product or is it built up with many layers? I have a friend who wants a Beretta 682 stock refinished but I have never been able to get back that deep liquid finish. Any help or experiences out there?

Post subject: Re: High Gloss stock finish
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:33 pm 
Limited Edition

Dilly,
The true super durable and high gloss finish is achieved by using the spray on product, Fuller-Plast. It is an epoxy-resin that is catalyst activated and is used on bowling pins, bowling floors and of course some gun companies use it too. When dry this is some tough stuff and it requires some top quality spray equipment, experience, and some practice to get it on right with a perfect surface. Also, it is expensive and comes in gallon quantities only. This is certainly not meant to discourage you in anyway but if you are just going to high finish one shotgun stock, I would recommend you look into one of the ready to go lacquers or acrylics. With some practice, light applications, and good surface preparation, you can achieve a pretty good high gloss finish. You might read up on this using the Internet and please let us know how this endeaver works out for you Dilly!

Ry's Gunstock Service

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Okay, now this is heresy, but by FAR the easiest finish to put on a stock is Minwax from Lowes or Home Depot or Ace Hardware. Rub on the stain of your choice - and they have about 40 choices - until you have the desired shade, spray on satin or gloss polyurethane, and that is it.
I love it when people are oooohing and aaaaaahing over a stock and then you tell them what you used and they immediately break into reasons that is no good. You tell them it is 12 years old and you have fixed numerous scuffs, etc. and it doesn't matter. The believe you have to sweat over it for it to be any good. I guess it's like the 870 versus the Model 12. The 870 was no good when it came out in 1950 because it had some stamped parts. 10 million later .....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Virginian, Al Biesen and his son Roger have an excellent reputation in the custom gun business. They used to use Imron clear coat this is normally used on cars. They use something different now but it is also a spray on hard shell finish. There are a lot of stockmakers going over to spray on finishes. I am an old stick in the mud and still do a hand rubbed finish. That does not mean that mine is any better than theirs and I do know mine takes a lot longer to get completed. Al will dull the finish so it looks more like an oil finish if you like.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:02 am 
Presentation Grade

I used to do quite a bit of fish taxidermy. I used an airbrush to paint the colors on the fish and once this was finished and dry, I sprayed the mount with dupont automotive clear polyurethane (3 part) to get that "wet fish" look. It worked great; but as Ray said; it doe's require a good automotive spray gun and air supply. Its also expensive. One day I found out about the Minwax urethane in the spray can and thought I would give it a try. It works just as well and the good news is you can buy it one can at a time as you need it. I refinish a few gunstocks each year for myself and friends and although I seldom do a "high gloss" finish, sometimes one of the guys will want one. When they do I use the Minwax Urethane in a can. Three coats over three days is usually enough to provide that deep wet look that they want. You MUST allow each coat to dry completely and your spray area must be free of dust. I go over the stock after each coat with 0000 steel wool, bronze wool is better if you can find it, and you must use a tack cloth or compressed air before the next coat. Prep and cleanliness is very important, if you want that "professional" finish look. Oh, and invest in a quality spray mask (not the cheap cloth dust mask) if you are gonna use this stuff much. Good luck on you project.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, the "old" Dupont Imron was about as good a line of coatings as there ever was, but they didn't sell it in 12 ounce cans and you needed professional equipment. I did buy some from a local shop once, and finally mastered the settings to apply it with a Paasche air brush, but clean up was horrendous, and you really needed a freash air mask because of the toxicity. But that stuff would outlast anything. When I sold my Bronco, 7 years after it was repainted, it still looked fresh.
Having totally dedicated myself to amatuer status, Minwax is good enough for me now. Plus one on the tack cloth. I like 1200 grit wet sandpaper over steel wool.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thank you gentlemen. I am going to try using a poly from a can first and go to extremes on the prep and sanding between well cured coats. I have a good respirator but nothing rated for shooting imron. Thanks again!