CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: which 28 gauge O/U to buy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:43 pm 
Utility Grade

I want to buy a 28 gauge O/U gun. I want to know which guns are built on 28 gauge frames and which ones are built on 20 gauge frames. I have never owned a 28 ga but I think it would be better to have one designed as a 28 gauge.

so far I have only see the Ruger Red Label and the CZ that are true 28 gauges. What are other options for me and what are some guns you would recommend
thanks

Post subject: Re: which 28 gauge O/U to buy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:02 pm 
Crown Grade

if yur walkin & hunting, a true 28 frame is great. if your slaying clays. I might look into that 20 ga frame. beretta makes both, the small frame is designated a s- frame. browning makes a 20 ga frame.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

Look at the Remington Premier Upland. It is Itallion made by Sabatti, and seems to be well made, and well balanced. You can get one for about $1500 on Gunbroker.

Goldhky

Isla de Cuba anillo dice "libertade para todos"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:22 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I've got an RRL 28 ga, and I really like it. And, I got it for all of $900 with a set of full-length Briley .410 tubes! It's a very nice gun, and comparatively a GREAT deal!

Check out the 28 Ga Society! Copy/paste into your URL window:

28gasociety.46.forum er.com

Delete the space between "forum" and "er", and hit the "Enter" key. SGW's softer buggers direct links.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:18 am 
Crown Grade

There are darn few baby-frame 28's. However, in addition to the ones already mentioned, Mark DeHaan used to sell Huglu's that were made on gauge specific receivers.

If it's just weight reduction you're interested in Franchi makes a 28 gauge on a 20 gauge receiver that weighs under 6 lbs. My own Veloce (no longer in production) weighs 5lb 6oz.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:51 pm 
Field Grade

Email me if you would like to look at a Italian made Verona 692 gold, 28ga. 30" bbls with full set of chokes. It is a two barrel set 410 bbls are 30" also but they are fixed full / full

david_craven@comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:44 pm 
Limited Edition

I have a baby frame Beretta 687 28ga with 28" barrels. Absolutely love it for quail. Have also used the 28 ga Ruger and thought it a pretty good piece, though I didn't much care for the 20 ga version.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a 28ga Beretta 28ga 687EL on a small scaled frame and itg is a delight to carry and shoot. On the other hand, if you shoot mostly clays, bigger is probably better.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:42 pm 
Crown Grade

I have a 28 gauge Ruger Red Label.I like my 28 gauge shotguns as light as I can get them.When I purchased the 28 gauge Ruger Red Label it was the lightest 28 gauge O/U then available.If I were to purchase a new 28 gauge O/U today I would purchase the Browning Cynergy Feather at 5 pounds 1 ounce.To the best of my knowledge that is the lightest 28 gauge O/U now available.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:36 am 
Field Grade

I have a new 28 ga Browning Cynergy Classic Field. It is built on a small frame and is just a great little gun. The classic field has the more conservative stock, which I like, and has a full machine engraved receiver. I bought mine for $1600 last month and even received a $100 rebate from Browning and $400 in cases and bags (Cynergy Club). I am a usually a pretty strong Beretta fan, but the little Cynergy really caught my eye. I have always felt that the Citori was a bit chunky, and their 28 ga is pretty thick in the middle. If you want a small, thin, reasonably priced 28 ga, the Browning Cynergy is a great choice.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:07 am 
Diamond Grade

I thought all Browning 28s were on a 20 frame. . .the Cynergy I measured was a 20 frame.

F.A.I.R. makes all of there gauges frame specific (minus .410 which is 28 frame). . .the 28 FAIRs (Verona/Savage Milano/Cortona) make great grouse guns.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:15 am 
Tournament Grade

A small-framed 28-ga. may or may not be a good thing, depending on how well you can handle a very light shotgun, but if you insist on one, they're out there. The make that has yet to be mentioned, the one that would get my vote, is the B. Rizzini scaled-frame 28. They have 28's available on 20-ga. frames, too, but even their 20-ga. framed 28's are pretty slender, too.

I own two Sig/B.Rizzini 28's built on the slightly larger 20-ga. frames. Each has 28" barrels and each weighs 5-15. For me, that's a perfect weight for a field model 28. I've taken woodcock, grouse, quail, and preserve chukars and pheasants with them, and I wouldn't part with either one.

A target model 28 is a different animal. Extra weight is your friend. For clays, I have a Guerini Summit, with 30" barrels, that weughs over 7 pounds. Different horses for different courses.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

I shoot a 28g Lightning version of the Browning Citori. It's built on a 20g frame, and is fitted exactly like my 16g gun of the same make and model. (I haven't measured, but both appear to be on the 20g frame). These are field guns with no recoil pads or extra weight and when hunting season approaches and it's time to practice... well you can figure out which gun I practice with.

But then there is the emotional consideration. I am drawn to the slender graceful 28s and after the kids are out of college, I hope to add a dressed out small frame Beretta or B Rizzini to my collection. I doubt it'll really be any faster on a covey of wild quail than a gun on a 20g frame and I don't truly have a practical reason - I just like the way they look and feel. Besides, why take a neat little shell like the 28g and stuff it into a "club" like my Citori? :D (joking)

Having said that, and since we still don't have limits on the number of shotguns we can own, I will probably never part with my 28g Citori - it is durable, reliable, well balanced, properly fitted and I shoot it fairly well. I'd recommend it (or any Citori) to anyone.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hey guys, don't leave out the SKB 85TSS. IMO a fantastic little gun for the $....Jack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

I like the Brownings built on a 20ga reveiver - and like somebody else said weight is your friend - helps smooth out the swing, etc.

The 20ga Brownings are mostly built to about 7 1/2 lbs so it isn't like they're all that heavy. My 28ga and .410 are both XS Skeet models with 30" barrels - and I like them a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:16 am 
Crown Grade

As others have said, it depends on what you plan to do with it. I love my Browning XS Sporting with 30" barrels (7 1/4 pounds) for lots of shooting and not much carrying, but a fellow at the club has a Rizzini on a small frame (about 5 1/2 pounds) that would make a great gun to carry all day for shooting upland birds.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:25 am 
Diamond Grade

I have a Charles Daly 28ga. that I like a lot.It's not my most shot gun in the collection, but does get a lot of use during the quail season.I have never had a problem with it and didn't break the bank when I bought it.
I think it's worth looking into.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you find one, try out a Browning Ultra XS in 28 ga. I had one with 30" barrels an it was a dream to shoot. Ran more straights in skeet with it than any gun I've ever had.

Skeet aren't hard to hit, just easy to miss....!!