CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning BPS Trap or BPS Micro Trap?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:35 pm 
Utility Grade

I’ve been trap shooting with a Mossberg field gun for the past two months now and I’ve decided to get a dedicated trap gun. The LOP on my Mossy is 14 ½" and I’ve grown very accustomed to it. My average with it is around 60% which I’m very happy with since I don’t plan on shooting competitively. I’m only 5'6" and I’m having a hard time choosing between a BPS Trap or BPS Micro Trap. The BPS has a LOP of 14 3/8" and the BPS Micro has 13 3/4". I’ve been to four different sporting goods stores in my area and they don’t carry them. I’m gonna have to rely on getting one online and hope that it fits me well. Which one do you guys think I should get? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Browning BPS Trap or BPS Micro Trap?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:53 am 
Limited Edition

I'am 5' 7" with short arms and I have the Micro BPS Trap. You should handle one before buying if you can. Your height is not the only factor when fitting a shotgun.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:17 am 
Crown Grade

I would think the Micro trap would be about right for you. If the length of pull is too short you can always add some spacers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The length of your arms has nothing to do with the LOP of your gun. It has more to do with the way you stand, the width of your shoulders and the length of your neck. LOP requirements also change depending on how you mount the gun. If you have to lean your head over or if you can keep it straight up will all be factors in LOP.

I have a BT-99 with an adjustable butt plate that allows me to lower the pad. This lets me keep my head more erect. That gun has a LOP of 14 1/4" and is about perfect. I also have a Cynergy without the adjustable pad. If I mount it with the pad fully engaging my shoulder, I have to lean my head over more. That gun has a 14 1/2" LOP and is still too short. If I put an adjustable comb on it or an adjustable butt plate, the LOP won't have to be so long.

We cannot tell you what LOP you will need over the internet. There are just too many variables.

I can tell you this though, if you are comfortable with your Mossberg at 14 1/2", the Micro BPS will be WAY too short. I bought a BPS Micro Trap for my son. He is still too small for it, but I just had to get it out to the range. The 13 3/4" LOP is much too short for me, but I was able to shoot it OK. For regular Trap though, I would need a longer stock.

Do yourself a favor and take a little time to get educated on stock fit first. It will be worth the time and money. In fact it will save you money in the long run. The book "Stock Fitters Bible" by Rollin Oswald will be some of the best money you can spend on shooting. He is a regular poster here and gives some of the best advice I've seen. Buy his book. It will save you money in the long run.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

oletymer wrote:
I would think the Micro trap would be about right for you. If the length of pull is too short you can always add some spacers.

Or take some wood off the BPS.... :wink:

Go with a standard length gun and find a fitter to cut the lop and pitch to you.

~Michael