CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Single shot 12 ga shotgun with Cannon Breech and E5498
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:48 pm 
Utility Grade

I've inherited a single shot 12 ga shotgun that has been in the family way more than 60 years and I would like to know more about it, particularly the manufacturer and how old it is. All that I can see that it has stamped on it is Cannon Breech on the side and the serial number E5498 in two places. There is a plastic looking emblem thing covering the base of the stock at the bottom of the handhold and held on with a screw. It has letters around it but I cannot make out much of what they might be. Perhaps comparing to some likely words might help make the letters recognizable.

Any tips, links or info would be appreciated. I basically know little about guns.

Thx.
Ken

Post subject: Re: Single shot 12 ga shotgun with Cannon Breech and E5498
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:34 pm 
Crown Grade

You have what is known as a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. That is a shotgun made by a major maker usually on contract to a wholesaler or retailer who chose the name to go on the gun. Shotguns with the name CANNON BREECH were made by the Stevens Arms & Tool Company, Harrington & Richardson Arms Co or Hopkins & Allen Arms Co. I'm sorry but I have no serial number-year made tables to tell you who made the gun or when. I'm going to make a WAG and say it was Stevens and sometime between 1915 and 1925. Value? The value of such guns depends on the condition of the gun relating to the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood. Values can run as high as $175 for one in excellent condition to less than $10 for a rusty, rotten, incomplete piece of junk that might make a good tomato stake.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:14 am 
Utility Grade

Thx.
I've found some more info <http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230898>
that indicates the gun may have Simmons Hardware Co. on the nameplate.
I've posted some pictures here: <http://gallery.me.com/kbrown#100163>
I tried to adjust the light and image settings to make it as readable as possible. The gun is in Canada if that means anything.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:34 pm 
Crown Grade

A couple of things. First thanks, my references did not show who the seller was, now I know.
Simmons Hardware Company was/is a large wholesale sporting goods dealer located in St. Louis,MO from 1875 to date( My reference is dated 1997). The fact that the gun is located in Canada makes no difference except for the difference between the Canadian dollar and the United States dollar for the value. We did sell guns to Canada just as they did to us (H. W. Cooey Machine & Arms Co of Coberg Ontario,Canada 1875 to 1970). They were bought out by Winchester Repeating Arms Co and the factory was used to make Winchester guns in Canada.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:26 pm 
Utility Grade

Thx for the info and taking time to respond.