CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ghost Rings or Bead?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:35 am 
Tournament Grade

Hello everybody. I have been looking at upgrading the bead on my Mav. 88 8 Shot with either an upgraded bead(Fiber Optic, Tritium, etc.) or Ghost Rings. Now if I did Ghost Rings I would probably use the Mossberg Factory Sights.

I was just wondering everyone's opinion on this subject. And if there are some long winded threads already about this topic feel free to point me in that direction as well.

Thanks

Brandon

Post subject: Re: Ghost Rings or Bead?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Over the past couple of years I've drifted over to beads as my preferred shotgun sight.

XS Big Dot FTW.

IBFMD. :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

not a whole lot of experience, but i prefer my ghost ring sights on my chinese ithaca clone over the bead on my 870

how well can you hit stuff with slugs at distance with a bead?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Could I get acceptable low light results with something like this http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=992229 (Fiber Optic Bead) or do I need to go the way of Tritium?

Brandon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:42 pm 
Limited Edition

IMHO the GRS is for work with slugs a bead works just fine for work with any kind of shot and rifle sights just suck on a shotgun.

WASR10 7.62x39
Hi-point 995 9MM
Winchester 1300 12 GA 22 rifle sight
Mossberg 500A 12 GA 18.5 bead sight
Mossberg 500A 12 GA 18.5 GRS
Swiss K-11 7.5x55 Swiss
Savage model 112 .223
Mosin Nagant M44 7.62x54R

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:49 pm 
Utility Grade

I am having this put on an 870 that is getting some custom work done on it. It looks like a good choice for my home defense gun, but time will tell.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=476884

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

zombie wrote:
XS Big Dot FTW.

This.

Quote:
IBFMD. :D

:oops:

Tritium will work regardless of lighting conditions. With very little/no ambient light, the fiber optic is just as black as the rest of the gun.

Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool, or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool. - Tactical Response
Embrace your wear marks. - 870Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

FMD, Would be the Marble's Tritium Dot be an acceptable version of a big white dot?

Brandon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BMKindoll wrote:
FMD, Would be the Marble's Tritium Dot be an acceptable version of a big white dot?

Brandon

It's the "Poor Man's" BigDot. I've got two of them (they work almost as well as the BD at 1/3 the price). :wink:

The XS has a larger white "face" for daytime/stress situations, but the tritium element is the same size on the Marbles bead.

Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool, or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool. - Tactical Response

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
BMKindoll wrote:
Could I get acceptable low light results with something like this http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=992229 (Fiber Optic Bead) or do I need to go the way of Tritium? Brandon

Auggie74 wrote:
I am having this put on an 870 that is getting some custom work done on it. It looks like a good choice for my home defense gun, but time will tell.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=476884

Brandon, I have fiber-optic "light pipes" on my two 835's, and while they are adequate for hunting at dawn or dusk, they are alarmingly invisible in a dark room. Accordingly, I had my gunsmith install the same Tru-Glo Tritium/Light Pipe on my HD 500 that Auggie74 is about to install, and it is perfect in a dark room. The big green dot is 1/5" wide, and it has the same brightness by day or in a completely darkened room. They were first manufactured in 2008 and they last for 12 years (2020), so you need not worry about buying something that has sat a few years with the clock ticking on the tritium.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:18 am 
Utility Grade

wfb18, thanks for the information. I am glad to hear that the TruGlo TFO works as advertised. For those who might want to buy one, my advice is to be patient and shop around. They can be a bit hard to find "in stock." I actually bought mine NIB off of e-bay for $11.00 less than what Midway sells it for. So, shop around.

Auggie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:19 am 
Tournament Grade

HiViz also makes these low light sights. They also have systems with one front bead and two rear beads. One problem with all of them is they are more fragile than other metal sights. Will break if thrown around in a trunk.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:14 am 
Tournament Grade

But my bead is a 5x40 thread. I can't epoxy the XS Big Dot over my bead as is can I ? I thought I read somewhere that I would have to change out the bead, and then epoxy on the bead.

Brandon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:52 am 
Field Grade

BMKindoll wrote:

Brandon

Hi BMKindoll or FDM could one of you guys post a link for this sight? I would like to take a look at it I have been looking at maybe adding new sights.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Marbles/Trijicon bead:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... px?p=19914

The XS BigDot requires a #6/#26 sized bead. If your bead o.d. measures anywhere between 0.125 & 0.140", you'll be good to go to epoxy/JB Weld over top of it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:39 pm 
Utility Grade

hey BMKindoll

have installed the factory GRS in my 8 shot '88, works really fine for mid and long targets, fits great for my practical shooting matches

cheers mak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:56 pm 
Field Grade

I have some LPA ghost rings on my Remington 870. I mainly mounted them because I got them on close out for a pretty good price. Unfortunely, as I started using them, I can to regret doing it. It shoot decent enough, but I am noticably slower with the GRS compared to the bead. It isn't a night and day difference, but just enough that I notice it. Having done it once, I wouldn't do it again. I have picked up some XS Express sight that I would like to try. I was waiting on some screws to mount it up. But I will give it a go the next time I go out to the range. It might be a good in between option.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:48 pm 
Utility Grade

yellowcarbon wrote:
I have some LPA ghost rings on my Remington 870. I mainly mounted them because I got them on close out for a pretty good price. Unfortunely, as I started using them, I can to regret doing it. It shoot decent enough, but I am noticably slower with the GRS compared to the bead. It isn't a night and day difference, but just enough that I notice it. Having done it once, I wouldn't do it again. I have picked up some XS Express sight that I would like to try. I was waiting on some screws to mount it up. But I will give it a go the next time I go out to the range. It might be a good in between option.

You may want to consider opening the top of the ring.I think what makes it slower is the need for precise alignment needed to pick up the front sight.
I have ghosts that I am puting on my 500 and I will make the ghost ring almost a U,but keep the opening slightly narrow to be able to index the ring.
The express sights may solve it for you.
Please let us know how they work out.

8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:13 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a Mossberg Shotgun. Does anyone know whether I can epoxy the XS Big Dot over my existing front bead or if I would have to have it changed out? Thanks.

Brandon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

FMD wrote:
The XS BigDot requires a #6/#26 sized bead. If your bead o.d. measures anywhere between 0.125 & 0.140", you'll be good to go to epoxy/JB Weld over top of it.