CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester 120 Tactical Conversion?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:17 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a 120 Ranger 12 guage with the vent rib barrel. I've kicked around either purchasing a new or used 870 Tactical model or doing a conversion on my 120. Money is tight, so I'm leaning toward re-working the 120.

I've had very limited sucess finding much in the line of parts for this job. Does anyone know if the 1300 "Defender" barrel will work on the 120? From what I understand, the 120 is very similar to the 1200/1300 line, but all of the barrels I've seen that would be suitable for my purpose say they are for the "Defender" model. I'd like to keep the original barrel and stock to have the option to return the gun to original down the road, so a cut down is not an option.

My plan is to add a synthetic conventional stock of some type, a higher capacity mag tube, hi-viz sights and a light mount for a Streamlight Night Fighter II LED. Does anyone know what products would be best suited for this job and where to locate them?

There's also the issue of the glossy finish on the receiver. I'd prefer it to match the barrel, but there goes my theory of having the option of putting the gun back original. I prefer the parkarized look.

I'm a handgun guy and a bit out of my element. Any help would be appreciated. The more I put my thoughts down in writing, the more practical an 870 Tactical is sounding?

Thanks,
Brian

Post subject: Re: Winchester 120 Tactical Conversion?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:17 pm 
Limited Edition

So, here are the things you are going to need:

"Defender" barrel.
these were going for $90 on gunbroker just a little while back. (like Jan/Feb time frame) Right now, they are around $150, when you can find them.

"Defender" magazine tube.
you can get one from Numrich for $50 or less.

To swap out the mag tube, you need to carefully knock it back into the receiver, then take off the plastic pieces (if they are not broken) and then put in the longer tube. A length of 1" ID pipe smothered with vasoline inside will let you re-seat the mag tube. Took me all of 20min to swap out the tubes.

All this said, your looking at $200 worth of parts. Your better off dumping your 120 for $200 and using what you would have spent along with the money from the Ranger and getting a nice clean Rem 870 Magnum Express 7 shot.

You can remove the mag extension and barrel and put a 26" turkey barrel on it. Or, get a slug barrel.

Trying to do this with the 120/1200/1300 is not very easy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:51 am 
Utility Grade

100W_Warlock wrote:
All this said, your looking at $200 worth of parts. Your better off dumping your 120 for $200 and using what you would have spent along with the money from the Ranger and getting a nice clean Rem 870 Magnum Express 7 shot.

You can remove the mag extension and barrel and put a 26" turkey barrel on it. Or, get a slug barrel.

Trying to do this with the 120/1200/1300 is not very easy.

I appreciate the feedback. I agree, the Ranger project does not look to be the best direction to go here. Just a bad time to buying anything. Supply is down and prices are up since the election. Especially for anything that falls under the "Tactical" or "Home Defense" catagory.

I'd planned on doing some recreational shooting this afternoon. Just returned from the local Wal Mart. I bought the last four 50 rd bricks of 22 LR they had and there was no centerfire to be found!

Thanks again,
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:13 am 
Utility Grade

Just came across this article on the subject if anyone else is intrested.

http://www.cabelas.com/story-123/carlson_shtgnmkvr/10201/Shotgun+makeover.shtml

Brian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:40 am 
Limited Edition

The following is from the above linked article. "The racking shotgun scaring away intruder, as well as the shotgun being less dangerous to others in home" were both thrown out in the span of 2 paragraphs. I'm becoming more and more skeptical anytime someone touts themselves as an expert in any given field. Except of course the financial sector :roll: .

Quote:
Two primary reasons to consider a shotgun as a defensive firearm are safety and effectiveness. Handgun bullets penetrate walls with sufficient retained energy to harm a person in an adjacent room, or even an adjacent residence. The bulk of a shotgun blast's energy is expended in the target or wall material, minimizing the danger to others.

The psychological impact that staring down the business end of a 12-gauge has on a criminal is something that law enforcement personnel have known for decades, and many a would-be criminal has surrendered to police or fled the home of an intended victim upon hearing the distinct "click-clack" of a pump-action shotgun racking a round.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:55 pm 
Utility Grade

rockman22 wrote:
The following is from the above linked article. "The racking shotgun scaring away intruder, as well as the shotgun being less dangerous to others in home" were both thrown out in the span of 2 paragraphs. I'm becoming more and more skeptical anytime someone touts themselves as an expert in any given field. Except of course the financial sector :roll:

Yea, a bit of a peeve of mine also. I'd never keep a firearm for the "scare factor" and a responsible gun owner's firearm is only dangerous to the moron who breaks in the back door!

My intent in posting the link was that it specificly addressed the tactical conversion of the 120 Ranger. Finding ANY writing specific to that subject on the 120 has been pretty difficult.

Brian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:08 pm 
Limited Edition

Sorry Brian, not trying to steer of topic into pet peeves. It looks like the gent in the article relies pretty heavily for his conversion on Tac-Star products. While I've never used them I've heard lots of grumbling about there quality. I obviously can't speak directly to the issue, but it might be worth looking at there stuff at a shop rather than doing a blind online order just to make sure it lives up to your expectations.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:13 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks Rockman- I've scrapped the 120 project, not cost effective considering an 870 Express 7 rd can be had for around $400. The 870 has many more customization options as well, based on the aftermarket parts availability. Something I can do as I get the cash.

I appreciate the head's up on Tac Star. As I said, I'm new to the shotgun world and am not familiar with most of the aftermarket companies unless they also have products for handguns I may have used.

The 120 was handed down by my dad before he passed away. I've shot at clays but have never hunted with it. Probobly should enjoy it for what it is and leave it alone.

I'm sure I'll be back on the board with questions about products for the 870 once I've convinced my wife we need another gun in the house!

Brian