All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Federal speed shok vs Kent fasteel
Federal 37%  37%  [ 13 ]
Kent 63%  63%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 35
 Post subject: Kent fasteel vs. Federal speed shock for mid range ducks
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:02 pm 
Field Grade

Hey, i am trying to see what load works best for waterfowl. I am not going to take any shot over 45 yd. please include suggestions about choke and shot size too. thanks in advance :)

Post subject: Re: Kent fasteel vs. Federal speed shock for mid range ducks
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Both are good loads, problem is, Federal is usually more expensive than the Kent's, so your data will be flawed.

Roger's Sporting Goods has the 3" Speed-Shok on sale for $90 a case right now

What I will tell you is this, Kent has good components in their loads. I have never had a Speed-Shok round in my hands, so I cannot comment on their quality.

You really can't compare them side by side, especially on a forum, each will have their own loyalty base, me I like Kent's, but I like Fiocchi's better, very high quality components.

This is my order of preference:

Fiocchi
Estate
Kent
Remington
Winchester
Federal

If it was me, I would buy a box of your preferred shot size from each manufacturer and pattern them, try each choke tube you have, and divide the box up into categories:

example:

5 shells for 20 yd pattern
10 shells for 30 yd pattern
10 shells for 40 yd pattern

Then divide the groups into shells for each tube you have, don't compare them at the pattern board, compare them later at home .

I have quit writing the data on the front of the pattern, instead I made a word document to print address labels with the data for each pattern, then I affix it to the rear of the pattern after I have shot it, this doesn't allow any bleed thru. At home I compare the patterns against each other, I am sometimes surprised at the results, and this removes the tendency to pick a target based on the choke/shell combo. I also dedicate 5 shells to each choke combo, and after the initial patterning, I will go back with 10 more shells and see if the data backs itself up. It helps to have a Cabela's or other major retailer on your way to work to drop in and buy the different brands from as well. Although I generally order them online after the initial patterning to save money.

After you have picked a shell/choke combo, stick with it if it works for you, and don't listen to the masses, ironic, use what works for you.

NRA Life Member

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:13 pm 
Crown Grade

I chose the Kent only because it is typically cheaper to buy. I use the Federal loads much more often as they are much more common locally and I can get them quite inexpensively in after season sales and often as seconds from the factory. My favorite steel loads are the Winchester Supreme though they are kind of pricey. Most of the time I find any of the standard loadings such as Winchester Drylock, Remington Nitro-Steel, the listed Federal and Kent loads, et al to be sufficient at moderate ranges at least. I have found any of these loads to work well for me and I generally base my selection on what's available and I don't get too hung up on a particular brand. Some brands do pattern a bit better than others but I have run enough shot for patterns to have seen different lots of the same manufacturer have just as much variation as from brand to brand. As most brands of a given quality level have been at least acceptable, I just pick up whatever I need and go shoot.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

Get 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other. Close your eyes as you load your gun and forget about it. You will never know the difference between the two loads.

Early in the season I shoot IC and switch to LM later if needed. People will swear up and down that #4s won't kill duck...That is what I mostly shoot.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

Lakenut wrote:
People will swear up and down that #4s won't kill duck...That is what I mostly shoot.

Actually, #4 steel shot is quite popular. I saw a poll once that asked waterfowlers what size steel shot they prefered to use on ducks. #2 came in first, #4 came in a close second. #3 was prefered by only about one in six, followed by #1. I wish I could recall where I saw this poll, I believe it was a scientific poll published somewhere, maybe in Waterfowler magazine, not one of these un-official forum polls.

The idea that #4 steel shot won't kill ducks effectively is often supported by pointing out that in George Secor's article Revealed: The Most Lethal Mallard Loads not one load of #4 steel shot passed his 95% lethality criteria. Yet, it is easy to see from the studies Secor based his work on that his criteria are too stringent. A study done decades ago produced 95% clean kills on mallards at 30 yards with the primative #4 and even #6 steel loads available at the time. Both loads should probably have failed at that same distance according to Secor's formula.

In my early years I often cited Tom Roster's CONSEP 2000 Steel Shot Lethality Table, which recommends #3 steel shot, and mentions that #4 steel shot "has not proven lethal on large ducks beyond 45 yards." But then I started out my waterfowling career as a goose hunter, and didn't really understand how rare it was to make a shot on a duck beyond 45 yards with any shot load!

The best data I have been able to find on the relative performance of steel shot, at least of sizes #2, #4, and #6, comes from a study done on Pheasants about a decade ago:
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fwt/back_issues/september01/article5.html
In this study, #2 shot clearly outshone the competition. In fact, #4 shot performed no better than #6 - both produced about one wounded bird for every four that were hit at ranges of less than 40 yards. The wounding rate went up dramatically at 40 yards and over.

But pheasant hunting is very unlike duck hunting. Pheasants tend to be flying away from the shooter, whereas ducks tend to be flying toward the shooter. Also, ducks come in a variety of sizes. You are about as likely to encounter birds in the 1 to 2 lb range as in the 3 lb range (which the pheasants in the study averaged). Because of these factors, ducks may require a denser distribution of pellet strikes, and may not require as deep pellet penetration for clean kills. Taking these factors into consideration, I would say that #4 steel shot may be an excellent choice for ducks after all.

That said, you won't find me using it while I can get my hands on #6 Wingmaster HD for $1.10 per shell after rebate! :twisted:

-Dave

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

[quote="Lakenut"]Get 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other. Close your eyes as you load your gun and forget about it. You will never know the difference between the two loads.

Early in the season I shoot IC and switch to LM later if needed. People will swear up and down that #4s won't kill duck...That is what I mostly shoot.[/quote]

Nope, #4's won't kill geese either, apparantly! :mrgreen:
I guess all the geese and ducks I've killed with #4's died of laughter when the saw my little 20 poke its nose out of the layout! :lol:

Davide

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:30 pm 

I like faster (1,550 fps) #2's with either a mod or IC tube for most of my ducks. The load that patterns the best from you gun and choke combination/s is the the right one.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

Either brand is fine. Shoot 2's, 3's, and 4's and see which patterns best from your gun.

Goldhky

Isla de Cuba anillo dice "libertade para todos"

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:55 pm 
Field Grade

I've done alot of patterning with quite a few different guns, and the Federal loads pattern better most of the time. They have a harder and thicker wad than the Kents, and I think this helps hold the pattern together. I'd start with #2 and your mod choke for general duck hunting, and adjust from there depending on your results at the patterning board. Federal Speed Shoks are virtually identical to the Federal Ultra Shoks, with the exception that the SS's have unplated shot. They are usually 10-15 dollars per case cheaper than Kents, unless you're not shopping around.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:50 pm 
Utility Grade

seaark18 wrote:
I've done alot of patterning with quite a few different guns, and the Federal loads pattern better most of the time. They have a harder and thicker wad than the Kents, and I think this helps hold the pattern together. I'd start with #2 and your mod choke for general duck hunting, and adjust from there depending on your results at the patterning board. Federal Speed Shoks are virtually identical to the Federal Ultra Shoks, with the exception that the SS's have unplated shot. They are usually 10-15 dollars per case cheaper than Kents, unless you're not shopping around.

I was wondering about this...I'm about to order some Federal Speed Shoks and was debating over the Kent's that are about $15-20 more per case.