CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Revelation model 300
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:27 pm 
Utility Grade

i am doing some cleaning on a Revelation 300 which was produced by Savage for Western Auto. My research indicates this is actually a Savage model 30 chambered in 410. The problem is the front pin that holds the trigger assembly will not budge! I have searched the net and can only find an assembly drawing for this model, but no real dis-assembly notes. Is there a trick to this such as the slide being in a certain position, or something else? I can tell someone else has worked on this before me because one of the screw heads is chewed up. Do i just need to used more force to get the pin out and then look at replacing the pin if it has been damaged? Any help is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Revelation model 300
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:10 pm 
Limited Edition

which way have you been trying to drive the pin? Typically these are tapered to only come out one side of the action.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

A lot of Savage pins are tapered as pbgd3skier says. Savage was also famous for using pins that were splined on one end. Usually, the pins drive out from left to right. However, if someone had the gun apart before you obtained it, that could easily be reversed. Take a strong light and a magnifying glass and examine both ends of the pin specifically looking for any minute differences in appearance or fit.
Don

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Do not attempt to disassemble the receiver components without first removing the stock. Take off the butt-plate and use a long shank screwdriver to remove the stock bolt and washers. Remove the stock and then drift out the cross pin toward the left.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the info... I do have the stock removed, but was unaware of the possible use of a tapered pin or a pin with splines. I used a loupe and flashlight to examine both ends of the pins. I cannot see any distinctive marks that would indicate splines on the pin, but there is definite scarring around the outside edges of the pin on both sides of the receiver. I also took my calipers and measured an average of .123 on each side of the pin/hole. One thing i do notice is that the pin is flush on one side of the receiver (left), but is about .032" under the right side, not really sure if this matters? I am not sure if i should go ahead and have the shotgun put under an arbor press and drive the pin out, then ream and install a new pin. The weapon still fires and is a great learner shotgun and plinker.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:53 pm 
Utility Grade

The assembly drawing I have shows the front trigger pin inserted from right to left, so I have been trying to remove from left to right.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The book "Firearms Assembly/Disassembly" page 347 say to "Drift out the cross pin above the front of the trigger group toward the left."