CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New M-887
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:48 pm 
Crown Grade

Regular readers of SGW will recognize that I'm a big Remington fan. I've owned 13 of them over the past 6 years, and still have 9 of them. These Remingtons represent manufacturing dates spanning 1950-2007. I've been very pleased with each of them, which is why I keep going back to Big Green.

However, guns of the 887-ilk are just not my thing. I'm not a Benelli fan, and the 887 was obviously designed to challenge the Nova. I have not yet shot an 887, but I did examine one closely at a local dealer recently. The stroke required of the 3 1/2" chamber was quite long, and I didn't like the faceplate extension on the bolt. Overall balance didn't feel bad. Quality of assembly seemed very good on the one I handled. The Supercell recoil pad will probably reduce recoil significantly, as it has on my 870 Tactical. However, the 887 bolt release is located on the front face of the trigger guard and this creates a potentially significant "pinch point" when drawing the elongated fore end rearward. Anyone else notice this? It's also a shame they didn't allow for stock-adjustment shims, considering the new design and polymer stock.

Of course, I wish Remington well - but new models like the 105CTI and the 887 don't appeal to me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

I own a Remington 887. I would suggest once the bolt release is pressed and the slide is in the process of moving rear-ward there is no reason to have your finger on the bolt release at that point. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:48 pm 
Crown Grade

I have handled the 887 and basically agree with everything being said here (i.e. balance, recoil, price). +1 to winM12 about the bolt release. That was my only gripe because im too used to the release on the 870. Other than that, I'm excited to shoot one and may even buy one pending some more extensive reviews. I hope those who have bought them enjoy the 887.

1911, Remington, and Beretta Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

does anybody know if the 887 safty is the same as the 870 safty? i need to know so i can use my coversion safty i got from midway.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

[quote="RandyWakeman"][quote="OK-LA Hunter"] I have yet to shoot it but wondered whether any other owners/users have this issue: With the factory plug, I can put three 2 3/4" shells in the magazine plus one in the chamber for a total of four shells. I can't remember the last time I took 2 3/4" shells to a duck blind and don't foresee doing so, but if I ever did my concern would be about compliance w/ migratory game laws. If I'm shooting 3" or 3 1/2" and a warden uses 2 3/4" shells to check my gun, am I up a creek? I did not see anything to this effect posted on Remington's site and couldn't figure out how to post a question there. (I know the simple solution if I ever shoot 2 3/4" shells will be to cut a dowel longer than the factory plug and use it as the plug, but I'm just wondering if other M887 owners have noticed this, whether I've put the plug in wrong, etc.)[/quote]

Same story here. Yep, 3 rounds in the magazine and chamber total is it.

It's the 1st gun I think I've ever tested that, used as directed, can get you busted. :|[/quote]

I experienced the same problem with 2 3/4" ammo in mine. I fixed the problem by cutting a 3/4" long piece of a hard plastic garden hose connector insert and placed the piece between the magazine plug and the magazine spring retainer cap. The magazine capacity is now two rounds for both 2 3/4" and 3" ammo. Since I don't have any 3 1/2" ammo presently I was unable to verify the magazine will hold two rounds after being modified.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:40 pm 
Utility Grade

I've solved the plug problem: Bass Pro carries a cut-to-length shotgun plug made by Butler Creek; sells for a little over $5.00. I can now put a maximum of two shells in the magazine, whether they are 2 3/4", 3", or 3 1/2". I'm left to wonder, though, about the factory-provided plug: (1) how many folks who buy M887s won't bother to check magazine capacity BEFORE they're out in the field, and (2) did the designers/testers at Remington never consider that this might present a problem to their customers? It's advertised as a waterfowl gun; do they not know the law? Will Remington send compliant plugs to everyone who registers an M887 for warranty purposes?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

I called Remington today about the three 2 3/4" shells that can be loaded in the magazine with the plug installed. I was told some of the 887's were delivered with the wrong plugs in the boxes. Remington will send the correct plug to the owner. All they need is the serial # of the 887 experiencing this problem.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:36 pm 
Utility Grade

Pennsylvania -- thanks for the info. I'll call or write Remington tomorrow re. the factory plug -- try as I might I cannot find a way to contact Remington Customer Service by e-mail. Not an auspicious start for the new gun.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:43 pm 
Utility Grade

I got a replacement plug in the mail today, and I didn't even request it. Of course, the gun is still at the Remington service center, where it has been for over a month... Still wondering when I'll get it back???

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:15 pm 
Utility Grade

Has anyone seen a waterfowl model yet?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:09 pm 
Utility Grade

Re. replacement plugs: when I called Remington the (very knowledgeable) customer service rep. was aware of the problem before I explained my situation, and the replacement plug was mailed/postmarked the same day I called. Cover letter sent with the replacement plug indicates that there was a "packing error" and that some 887s were mistakenly shipped with the wrong plug. It looks like Remington is sending replacement plugs to all of the retailers who received the "packing error" guns.
Shooting impressions: shot the gun this weekend. I agree w/ others who've had problems loading and cycling 2 3/4" shells, but since those aren't what I'll be shooting from a duck blind I'm not overly concerned. Remington says there's a "54% reduction in felt recoil" or some such claim. Granted I was shooting light loads, but it's definitely a soft shooter.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:58 pm 
Utility Grade

I talked to a rep at Remington today and they expected delivery date on the waterfowl 887 is looking like Oct at the earliest more likely later into Nov or even Dec....so much for this season!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:20 am 
Utility Grade

I purchased my M887 new a few months back and have had nothing but problems with it. First, I purchased the gun, brought it home, assembled it, and the barrel was bent or there was a problem with the molding. My two sights were off. I took the gun back and they gave me a new barrel. After that, I went out to the world shooting complex in sparta, IL. I put about 300 rnds through it and 15-25% misfired. I took the gun back to where I bought it, and they sent me to a repair shop. Left it there for a week and then found out that remington wanted it to be returned to the factory for them to look at. I have had my 870 express since I was 10 years old, ( I am 21 now), and have never ever had a misfire and have put 1000s of shells through it. My experience with the M887 has given me doubts about their quality and craftsmanship from here on out. I read that somone else on here had problems similar to mine and was interested in how their expierence has turned out. My M887 not only misfired 2 3/4 inch shells but 3 inch as well. All in all, I am very dissappointed with my purchase and will probably be trading in my M887 (if i ever get it back) for a super mag 870 synthetic.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:42 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello. I purchased the Remington M887 Nitro-Mag 12 Gauge , 12/3/10, early Christmas present. Bolt seems to not be closing, misfiring, "clicking", every other shot, sometimes a few, sometimes not. Anybody hearing of this with this model? Alot of changes to the Remington pump, I'm not to happy at this point, waiting on warranty info, was in Sabine Refuge in South louisiana, Pintail drake - "click", 20 blue wing teal in deeks, "click", 2 Grays sat in deeks, "click", I killed a limit fighting with this gun till 11am, frustrating. Did it with 3" as well as 3 1/2" shells. Also, if pump is back a bit, which this one has done right out of box, puts bolt release in a bind, which means I have to shuck it Forward before it will go backward?? Disappointed, my first 870 was a 16 gauge in 1980, I have 7 Remingtons, never had a problem like this.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

Send the 887 back to Remington and make them fix it. Tell them smooth out the action while they're fixing the gun. The warranty should cover your problems. Personally the 887 is a very poor copy of a Benelli Nova.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:21 pm 
Utility Grade

I just bought a Remington m887 nitro mag last weekend and just got out today to shoot some clays. I really am impressed with how it shot and really think its a great gun for the price. I was a little hesitate to purchase after reading mixed reviews but most of the bad ones were from the first production year. The one thing that I did notice was that the rails in the receiver that the pump slides on had a little of the armorklokt on it which made the action rough. I took a brass brush and clean it all up and it really smoothed out the action. Overall a great gun i would recommend it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have one, I have had mine now about 9 months, to be honest, my friend Mike put more rounds through it at the sporting clay course then I did, once duck and goose season rolled around, then thats when this gun saw some serious work, in the rain, gun was great, in the cold gun was great, I put probally a little over 300 rounds through it this duck and goose season, plus 4 rounds of 50 or so for sporting clays. Thats a nice amount and about the time frame where if there were problems, then things would start happening. Well the second to last weekend of duck season, the gun finally jammed, it jammed so bad it was not even fixeable in the field, the bolt stuck all the way back, and the hammer was just flopping around. I then took the gun back to Cabelas, they in turn sent it back ot Remington, I got the gun back in just under 3 weeks, new bolt, new slides, and what appeared to a new front slide assembly.

Ok so something went wrong with mine, but it took a huge amount of abuse before it did fail, it's not like I never cleaned it, or took care of it, I clean all my firearms alot, and I do tend to take "too good of care" as some people tell me. I knocked down 4 geese this season, over twenty or so ducks, and even a few phesant's at a local farm. I like this gun, it looks good, swings ok, not great, but ok, is affordable, and really does what it's designed to do, go bang! so all in all, I love mine, I would buy another one as a backup if I had too!

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Fan&Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:30 pm 
Utility Grade

Here is the straight scoop on the 887. I purchased the Nitro Mag Combo, which included the turkey 22" bbl, and the waterfowl 28", in Mossy Oak camo. I thought it was exactly what I wanted for turkey hunting, and now it is. My shotgun was purchased in April of 2011, and Remington Customer service told me it was made sometime in 2010. In case you need to know, the serial # is AAE036XXXX. Upon arrival, the gun had problems. The shell carrier stuck when you loaded the magazine, requiring manual pulling down, or the next shell racked would be thrown into the dirt. I also noticed that the owners manual said the magazine unloading latch could be pushed in with the slide in closed position, this was not true. The slide has to to be half-way down before the latch could be pushed in far enough for a shell to be released. O.K., I registered the warranty on-line, then about 2 weeks later I e-mailed Remington outlining the exact problems just as you just read them. In four days I received a reply from the repair dept. saying I needed a "trigger plate assembly". I called and spoke to a lady at customer service and assured her that I could install it myself, so I wouldn't have to send it away to a Remington shop. I did mention that I have 31 years of police experience with 870's, and could completely break down and re-assemble. If you have an 887, you are already aware of the very close similarity. I'm surprised they didn't call it an 871. She read both e-mails on file and immediately sent out a new trigger plate assembly. I received it in 3 days. This is the whole action other than the bolt. The old one comes out by tapping out the two pins in the receiver just above the trigger guard, and the new one slides in exactly the same way. Very simple. Upon close comparison of the two assemblies, I could readily see some serious changes in design/engineering, and in workmanship. They have completely redesigned this part. The new part is essential to have, and I hope everybody who needs one is still under warranty, although I could make a case that the part should be recalled for safety purposes. You wouldn't want to have live shells hitting gravel because sooner or later, a primer will hit a gravel corner. Use this point if you need it. I really like this shotgun now. It was not cheap, the combo goes for $728. msrp, and can be had for about $590. or in that ball park. If you are in a bind with Remington on this issue and need more specific info (names, phone #s, and photos of differences in design, send me an e-mail. alcotaz@hotmail.com Remington customer service was great, as I expected. Don't believe any negative crap about Remington. They identified the problem, redesigned the part, manufactured it and made it available for switch-out all in a matter of months. The new one is beautifully finished, smooth, and the shell carrier has a nice tight spring. All is well with U.S. manufacturing. Police departments across the nation (maybe the world) rely on Remington, and have for 60+ years. Remington will not compromise their reputation.....Tom

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:44 am 
Field Grade

alcotaz wrote:
Here is the straight scoop on the 887. I purchased the Nitro Mag Combo, which included the turkey 22" bbl, and the waterfowl 28", in Mossy Oak camo. I thought it was exactly what I wanted for turkey hunting, and now it is. My shotgun was purchased in April of 2011, and Remington Customer service told me it was made sometime in 2010. In case you need to know, the serial # is AAE036XXXX. Upon arrival, the gun had problems. The shell carrier stuck when you loaded the magazine, requiring manual pulling down, or the next shell racked would be thrown into the dirt. I also noticed that the owners manual said the magazine unloading latch could be pushed in with the slide in closed position, this was not true. The slide has to to be half-way down before the latch could be pushed in far enough for a shell to be released. O.K., I registered the warranty on-line, then about 2 weeks later I e-mailed Remington outlining the exact problems just as you just read them. In four days I received a reply from the repair dept. saying I needed a "trigger plate assembly". I called and spoke to a lady at customer service and assured her that I could install it myself, so I wouldn't have to send it away to a Remington shop. I did mention that I have 31 years of police experience with 870's, and could completely break down and re-assemble. If you have an 887, you are already aware of the very close similarity. I'm surprised they didn't call it an 871. She read both e-mails on file and immediately sent out a new trigger plate assembly. I received it in 3 days. This is the whole action other than the bolt. The old one comes out by tapping out the two pins in the receiver just above the trigger guard, and the new one slides in exactly the same way. Very simple. Upon close comparison of the two assemblies, I could readily see some serious changes in design/engineering, and in workmanship. They have completely redesigned this part. The new part is essential to have, and I hope everybody who needs one is still under warranty, although I could make a case that the part should be recalled for safety purposes. You wouldn't want to have live shells hitting gravel because sooner or later, a primer will hit a gravel corner. Use this point if you need it. I really like this shotgun now. It was not cheap, the combo goes for $728. msrp, and can be had for about $590. or in that ball park. If you are in a bind with Remington on this issue and need more specific info (names, phone #s, and photos of differences in design, send me an e-mail. alcotaz@hotmail.com Remington customer service was great, as I expected. Don't believe any negative crap about Remington. They identified the problem, redesigned the part, manufactured it and made it available for switch-out all in a matter of months. The new one is beautifully finished, smooth, and the shell carrier has a nice tight spring. All is well with U.S. manufacturing. Police departments across the nation (maybe the world) rely on Remington, and have for 60+ years. Remington will not compromise their reputation.....Tom

Great Post. The Newer produced 887 that I have seen have been flawless. I have hundreds of rounds through mine with out any issues. Its a great gun and it points as good as any gun I have.
scott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:53 pm 
Utility Grade

Gander Mountain
Hattiesburg Store
4501 Hardy Street Suite 100
Hattiesburg, MS 39402
(601) 268-6845

Remington Authorized Repair
Tech is Pam, ext 2151

In a conversation with Pam on June 10, 2011, she told me that they had taken an 887 off the shelf there and inspected it. She determined that the 887 is made so that the slide action must be all the way forward before being pulled back. She said several other pump shotguns have been made this way, including the old '97 Winchester pump. This design causes people to pump through the full cycle. It was to eliminate the problem of the next shell not being carriaged from the magazine.

A side note from me: Some guns require our adaptation. When we teach women, and men with weak wrists, to shoot Glocks, they have to learn to keep their wrist completely stiff, as Glocks will often hang up. If you ride it back, like a revolver, the slide doesn't get a chance to cycle completely. By the same token, when shooting an 887, get used to "pulling the gun apart" as you shoot. That is, pressure forward on the slide, pressure backward on the stock. Once you do this consciously for one round at the skeet range, it will come naturally after that and you won't have to think about it. I hope this helps.