CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stevens 512 Gold Wing - Review
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:25 pm 
Utility Grade

Well, I descovered sporting clays! It's a blast - Even joined a club.

Now the question is ... Do I realy want to keep shooting my 20 gauge pump gun, or my 20 SxS for that matter? The answer for me is, no not realy. They are great for hunting, but I think shooting sporting clays with a 28ga would be alot more fun. Yes?

I know I'll need to reload, and thats fine with me, but after pricing all the matterials needed to get started ... I don't have that much cash left over for a new shotgun. Sigh.

And that brings me to my subject or title. I was at Dicks and handled the Stevens 512 Gold Wing Over/Under. It felt great! But will it do the job of putting 100 shells through it every week? For weeks on end?

Any one shoot a Stevens 28 gauge regularly? Any input would be great! Thanks for any help given.

Post subject: Re: Stevens 512 Gold Wing - Review
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

I bought one last year to test.
IMO, the gun will be quite fine for 4 rounds of skeet every weekend, and for upland in the fall.
It has extractors instead of ejectors, removable chokes, and although I had a hard time with those ugly bird things on the side, I'm sure one could take them off , or simply ignore them! :lol:
In short, they are not a high end gun, but would suffice for an entry level rig - mine shot where it was pointed and swung well, too.
Davide

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:53 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks Todd. That's exactly what I needed/wanted to know. Tell me, is the recoil really that much less? If so, wouldn't that make even an entry level shotgun last longer in 28 ga?

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:00 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

First off, I don't know that switching guns will make it more fun or not. To me, "fun" = "breaking as many targets as possible". If that's your goal, get a 12 ga. Do I shoot a 12 ga all the time? No. Sometimes, I just want to shoot a certain gun, and that has included my 28 ga O/U, which is a Ruger Red Label. I also sometimes shoot my 20 auto, SxS and O/U guns, too. But, generally speaking, I shoot my 12 ga O/U or auto.

If "fun" = shooting a light recoiling gun and any breaks are extra gravy, then a nice 28 ga would definitely fit the bill. And, it it capable of breaking most of the targets you will see.

However, I would point out a seeming contradiction here - you're trying to save money by getting a "bargain-priced" gun, but you're getting it in 28 ga, which is pretty much the most expensive ammo there is. "Penny wise but pound foolish" is the phrase that comes to mind. If economy is the priority, you really should stick with 12 or 20 ga, as they are the cheapest ammo to shoot.

Check out the 28 Ga Society! Copy/paste into your URL window:

28gasociety.46.forum er.com

Delete the space between "forum" and "er", and hit the "Enter" key. SGW's softer buggers direct links.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:57 pm 
Utility Grade

No “if and or buts” about it PBGuy … my logic is way off lol! But … though I don’t need to justify it … “Fun” for me is shooting a smaller framed gun with less recoil. The breaking of clays is indeed of secondary concern. It might seem odd but then … well, that’s why they make both chocolate and vanilla I guess.

I have shot tons of 12 ga - that is until I discovered 20ga. Heck, I used to shoot .357, but found that I enjoy shooting my .380 even more. It seems that my entire shooting life has gone that route. I start with the larger calibers, and then move down in caliber/ga, only to find I enjoy shooting that much more with the “lesser” calibers. With the amount of lead shot in sporting clays I figured I would learn from my past and simply jump the gun, as it were lol.

But that is neither here nor there. Where you are right, and where my logic is a bit off, is looking for a lower end gun, and then going out and shooting a gauge that is notoriously poor for its cost of shooting. Like I said, I intend to reload which will bring it to 20 ga levels, which I can afford. The cost of my membership and the reloading equipment at this point, has left me in a place along with my newborn of only having so much left for the shotgun. Which is where I am at. Realize that one day I may go out and put down a whack of cash for a nice 28. But right now I don’t have 2k laying around, and truth be told, I am not sure if I will like the 28 enough to spend that kind of money for it to only become a safe queen. Heck I thought because I liked my .380 so much, that I would like .32 that much better – I don’t lol.

Gosh I hope that all makes sense! After writing all that, I realize I ought to have simply stated I am interested in 28 ga and simply want to try an inexpensive 28 on for size until I know that I am sold on the gauge before spending a fortune on a say Browning or Beretta. I tried on a Stevens at Dicks and thought it felt nice … anyone have experience with one? Will it do the job of shooting about 2000 rounds before I commit and buy my dream (read expensive) 28 ga?

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:09 pm 
Crown Grade

buckashot wrote:
Realize that one day I may go out and put down a whack of cash for a nice 28. But right now I don’t have 2k laying around, and truth be told, I am not sure if I will like the 28 enough to spend that kind of money for it to only become a safe queen.
Gosh I hope that all makes sense! After writing all that, I realize I ought to have simply stated I am interested in 28 ga and simply want to try an inexpensive 28 on for size until I know that I am sold on the gauge before spending a fortune on a say Browning or Beretta. I tried on a Stevens at Dicks and thought it felt nice

Makes sense to me.Also I assure you that the 28 gauge will please you very much. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:13 am 
Crown Grade

Here's a little different take.

Yeah, I am retired, and have a good supply of all gauges and actions to shoot with. I also reload all the gauges, and reload excellent patterning shells (at least in my guns).

But I use my 28 O/U more and more for Sporting Clays (my 28 SXS, too!), and guess what? I shoot them just as well (and with virtually identical scores) as my 20s and 12s. Point them right, and they breaks the clay! Just like their "big brother" gauges. They are now my "go-to" guns.

If you like the gun, my ONLY concern about an economy-priced O/U would be barrel regulation - or to put it simply, "does it shoot where it looks"! If it does, you have a good gun. If it doesn't, you are in deep doo-doo.

If I could test fire one first, I wouldn't hesitate to get one, as long as both barrels "shot where it looked"!

BobK

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:22 am 
Utility Grade

Well that everyone likes their 28's so well is encouraging, and leads me to believe I am making the right decision when it comes to gauge. :D As for taking a moderately priced shotgun out and seeing if it shoots to point of aim … well that’s not in the cards. Long gone are the days when one would be given a firearm for testing before purchase.

I understand that it takes more to manufacture a over/under, but it seems sad that one can’t buy one that doesn’t cost more than 2k without having to worry about it falling apart. I thought outsourcing and cheaper labour meant we could get equal quality at cheaper prices – I must be getting old :lol: .

It seems to me that with regard to the Stevens and the lack of reply’s, that either those who have bought one are out there shooting them, or to busy in the basement fixing them lol. I guess I’ll have to “bite the bullet” as it were, and “take my chances.” :oops: But you bring up a good point BobK, if it doesn't shoot straight, why couldn't I take it back? Thanks.

Anyway, thanks for all the reply’s – please keep them coming as I am still straddling the fence on this one.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:30 am 
Diamond Grade

The 512 is a Turkish made gun BTW, their Milano is Italian made, but much more expensive.
Davide

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hello buckashot. I'll do my best to answer your question. I bought a used 512 Goldwing in 28 gauge a little over a month ago and have put close to a thousand rounds through it. I like the way it feels, swings, and recoil is pretty low. I'm going to use it for Sporting Clays this weekend for the first time and plan to do well to prove some of my buddies wrong. My scores for skeet have gone up since switching to it. So far it's held up well. I don't forsee any problems. I'd too would like to get a more expensive gun someday, but until then this will more then do. I suggest buying it. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:17 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

buckashot wrote:
Will it do the job of shooting about 2000 rounds before I commit and buy my dream (read expensive) 28 ga?

The short answer is a qualified "Yes". The answer is qualified because it's always possible that you'll get a lemon, regardless of brand. However, the odds are greatly in your favor that any shotgun you pick out will last at least 2,000 rounds with few, if any, problems.

It sounds like you've got a lot of factors to weigh for your decision; since you're reloading, that makes the 28 ga much more palatable financially. In the end, only you can decide what the right thing for you is, and it sounds like you're on the right track.

Check out the 28 Ga Society! Copy/paste into your URL window:

28gasociety.46.forum er.com

Delete the space between "forum" and "er", and hit the "Enter" key. SGW's softer buggers direct links.

Post subject: Sucks2beAcanuck
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:18 pm 
Utility Grade

I can’t thank you all enough for your replies. As I said, I already joined the sporting clays club and was eager to get out there with something other than my 20 ga pump, so I decided to go ahead and buy the Stevens. Now here’s a wrinkle I never saw coming … one that just kills me!

I went to Dicks and started to fill out the paperwork, only to find that there is a new wrinkle here in KS on the form that wasn’t there last time I bought a firearm. If you’re not a citizen they now want your Visa/Entry number, and proof that you have residency here. Basically I had to go home and get 3 months worth of bills showing my mailing address, and my passport with my visa number.

Whatever, no big deal. On trip two to Dicks I provided said documentation and went through the process again. As he (guy selling me the gun) was calling it all in, I picked up 4 cases of 28 shells and a 28 cleaning rod and the such. 10 minutes later I was returning said merchandise to their respective places on the shelf.

Denied!!! Wow! Sucks to be a Canuck (Canadian) in Kansas these days. I haven’t got the slightest idea why, as I am squeaky clean, and gosh knows homeland security did a full background check on me when I moved here over two years ago! I tell you this bites BIG!!! Thank goodness I haden't ordered the reloader from Midway yet.

Not sure how to move forward at this point … Any Ideas on that one?

I did make reservations to go out and shoot 100 last night before I went to Dicks in anticipation though … I was forced to use my 20 ga Remington pump with an 18.5” barrel. I shot 52. I hit on each station … maybe the pump is the way to go … Sigh.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

WOW that sucks buckashot!!!! Just wanted to let you know someone from Canada feels bad for you. I live in New Brunswick. Hope you can get it sorted out.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Thats a sad story buckashot.You would think they would have to give you a reason why you were denied.Hopefully you can get it straightened out.

Its not like they will not let you have a firearm as you already have one.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:23 pm 
Utility Grade

Yeah they don’t give a reason – just yes or no. Thanks for the sympathy though lol … arg!

The wife is in Toronto with all our paperwork right now, so I’ll have to wait till she gets back – two more weeks. I am sure we’ll work it all out. But as you guys know better than most, when a man gets a hankering for a new 28 – darn! It’s hard to wait lol. Oh well.

When the dust settles, I’ll let you all know how it works out. Plus I’ll give you all a firsthand review of the Stevens, unless it takes forever; in which case I’ll review that sweet looking Browning Featherweight. :wink:

Thanks again,
buckashot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:43 pm 
Field Grade

Im a dealer in ohio...your next step is to send in the denied explaination request form. Dicks will have the proper form and your nicks number, send it back without delay. Nicks must send you their reason for denial and then you will know why they denied you. Most denials are identity related and may require finger printing to prove your I.D....that you are not the bad guy they think you might be...or some court records are incomplete and will need updated...??? This can take from 10-days to several months...you must get this fixed to ever own or shoot a firearm is U.S.A. Hope this helped.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks Kenny Graft. When I asked the guy at Dick’s what was going on, he simply stated that they don’t give a reason, and told me to contact the A.T.F. for an explanation. It was clear he didn’t want to get involved.

I appreciate the info as I thought it was a simple matter of my visa having been near its expiration! As it stands I just renewed my visa, so I had better get on it if it takes that long to correct. Not being able to get my new shotgun once was bad enough! If I have to wait again, I think it would kill me lol. Buckashot needs to buy when he has the cash – otherwise somehow the cash seems to flows back into the family if he doesn’t lol.

It makes sense that I would have to clear things up sooner than later. Not sure what I was thinking. Thanks again Kenny. I’ll get on it, and let you know how it turns out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

[quote="buckashot"]Thanks Todd. That's exactly what I needed/wanted to know. Tell me, is the recoil really that much less? If so, wouldn't that make even an entry level shotgun last longer in 28 ga?[/quote]

The recoill is less, yes.
especially since the 512 is not made on a super light 28 gauge frame, but a heavier, 20 gauge frame.
I shoot sub gauges pretty much as a rule, and smaller caliber rifles, because of the recoil reduction

As far as a more expensive gun lasting longer, it's a "hit or miss thing", stuff breaks occaisonally, but with a higher end gun, there is less likelyhood of it happening.
I bought another 28 on the weekend, an entery level FAIR Premier, for a field gun.
Shooots great! :D
FWIW, if you handload, you can keep the 28 gauge cost down dramaticly, and get aa greaat combinaation of loads thaat are very easy to use, but if not, stick to a 20 ....
Davide

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:50 pm 
Utility Grade

You’re not going to believe this … I know I can’t make heads or tails of it all.

I went to Dicks today as Graft said I should, in order to get all the information I need to regain my ability to purchase a firearm. I am not sure what was going on, but it took forever as the two managers ran about doing this and that. They then came back to me and claimed there was some kind of a “glitch,” and that I had never been denied, or approved for that matter when I went in about 3 weeks ago to buy the Stevens.

They claim they even phoned NICS after I left and were told that I wasn’t refused (thanks Dicks for phoning me and letting me know!!)! They then went on to say well, let’s do it again now, and we’ll even give you $50 off for all the inconvenience.

ARG.

Oh and for what it’s worth, I understand that being denied is something one needs to clear up asap once denied, the police can come into your house and take every fire arm you own legally or not. It’s a serious matter – thanks again Graft for bringing it to my attention.

I tell you I have no idea what went on, or what is going on, but it’s kind of maddening to say the least. Considering it’s become such a big deal for me to buy a shotgun down here, I have decided to hold off and save enough cash for a quality shotgun that I (hopefully) will not need to replace.

In response to your comments Todd, Yeah I intend to reload and only use my 28 for sporting clays. The FAIR looks like a great deal. My buddy actually just got one as well. Not a bad SG. But for some reason the Browning is calling my name ... Buckashot ... lol. Hey, does anyone know if the Browning 28’s are built on scaled receivers?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a Browning 525 Sporting in 28 ga. It is built on a 20 ga. frame. I like it, especially for all Clays games, because the heavier frame reduces the recoil even more. Also I swing it better than the light weight guns. I also use it for hunting quail and started using it for pheasant last year. It has become my favorite gun and my 12 ga 525 is spending more time in the safe these days.