CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is a SUPER FULL CHOKE?
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey I just got into shotguns, mainly did archery before.I just got my first gun.A mossberg 500A combo.Only paid 80 bucks for it new so I can't complain.But I was wondering what is Super Full Choke?Also what is a good aftermarket fiber optic bead?

Post subject: Re: What is a SUPER FULL CHOKE?
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

Welcome to the forum! An extra full choke tube is mainly used for turkey hunting as it keeps the pattern quite tight so as not to introduce too many pellets into the birds breast. Try to keep as much of the shot in the head area as possible.

See if this helps...

cylinder .000 restriction in inches
skeet .005
improved .010
light modified .015
modified .020
improved mod .025
light full .030
full .035
extra full .040

Shotgun bore diameters

10 ga. .775 inches
12 ga .729
16 ga. .662
20 ga. .615
28 ga .550

Fiber optic beads are sold everywhere! What do you want versus what's out there! Cabela's, Bass Pro, Midway, Cheaper Than Dirt and Sportsman's Guide all carry them and again, you can go simple or you can go wild in that department!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:57 pm 
Utility Grade

Awesome thanks for the help.Probably going to get the sweetest one they got.Also thinking about getting a red dot for my slug barrel.Can't wait to fire that badboy.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Turkey chokes will generaly have the bore diameter on the choke or at least the packaging.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:52 am 
Presentation Grade

I'd recommend a screw-on sight vs. a magnetic one. The magnetic ones tend to sit high (higher than the original bead sight), and the recoil tends to make them slide around a bit after several shots.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My HI-VIZ bead is magnetic and hasn't moved even with 3.5in turkey loads but I can't shoot clays with it because it sits to high. I have had pretty good luck with the titewad from primos. It has a bore diamiter of .660 so it's pretty tight.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

liljake82 wrote:
My HI-VIZ bead is magnetic and hasn't moved even with 3.5in turkey loads but I can't shoot clays with it because it sits to high.

Huh, my magnetic one was also from Hi-Vis, but it would tend to twist a little, so that maybe after emptying a full magazine, the bead wouldn't be centered on the rib exactly right (mine was a Bird Buster model).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:08 pm 
Limited Edition

Andy,
Unless you're really planning to go turkey hunting you won't have much use for a turkey choke (super full). Assuming you hace screw-in chokes, I'd recommend that you have a Modified and full and mabey an improved cylinder choke. These are the chokes you'd be using the most at a trap-and-skeet club (modified or full chokes for trap and cylinder for skeet). Point is that you want to get familiar with your gun as a shotgun shoots different for everybody who uses it. At the very least, pattern it. Know that Trap-and-Skeet clubs generally have shot size limits (7-1/2 shot or smaller) so be prepared for that.

As for the fiberoptic bead site..... I'd recommend that you learn to use the shotgun first before you start modifying it. Shotguns aren't aimed like rifles and they're more sensitive to proper fit than a rifle. There are alot of good people at the local trap range who'd be glad to help you out with any questions.