CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mossberg 500 slug suggestions
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:37 am 
Utility Grade

i just picked up a mossberg 500 with a 24" inch rifled barrel i was wondering what yall used for slugs and where i should start?

thanks
Nate

Post subject: Re: mossberg 500 slug suggestions
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:15 am 
Diamond Grade

You have made a wise decision of buying a gun with rifled barrel.
1. The next step would be to put a scope on it.
2. Go out and buy a couple of boxes of different types of sabot slugs.
3. The fun begins now its time to go out to the range and try them out to see
which one shoots better from your barrel.
4. Practice a lot to get to know what your gun/slug combo can do for you at different distances like 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards, before you go out hunting! Have fun.
Ajay
www.PreciousVideoMemories.Com

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:36 am 
Diamond Grade

Nate,

That all depends on what you are looking for out of your setup. Are you looking for a good brush type slug gun for ranges of say 75 yards and under or are you looking to push the envelope a bit, say to a 125 yards?

And are we talking about a 12 or 20 gauge with open sights or a cantilevered barrel?

Jim

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:49 pm 
Utility Grade

sorry its a 12ga with open sights most shots will be 75 yards or less with a shot out to 100 possible

thanks again
nate

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

Sailor_Nate wrote:
sorry its a 12ga with open sights most shots will be 75 yards or less with a shot out to 100 possible

thanks again
nate

Nate,

Since it's a slow twist rate barrel (1 in 36") coventional wisdom would say use the slower velocity slugs like Hastings, Remington copper solids, lightfields, Remington buckhammers. Of these types of slugs, the buckhammers would probably be the cheapest to purchase. Midwayusa has them for $6.99 per box. I've also been reading about several people who are having exceptional luck w/Remington's new Accutip slug out of various twist rate barrels.

I have a buddy who owns a Mossberg 500 w/a rifled cantilevered barrel and all he shoots are Remington managed recoil sluggers. I busted his chops over leading up a rifled barrel and he pulled his gun apart, ran a bore snake through it a few times and asked me to check it for lead. I didn't really see anything and even ran a bronze brush through it and didn't dislodge any lead. He wiped the bore with a dry patch, reassembled his gun and proceeded to shoot to the same point of impact as before.

Maybe it's because of the slow twist rate, the low velocity of the slugs or the shallow depth of the rifling (or a combination of the three) but it's working for him and he's spending $4.00 for five slugs.

I've tried shooting standard velocity foster slugs in two rifled barrels to see what would happen. One was a Browning bps in 12 gauge and the other was a remington 870 in 20 gauge. Both barrels have a faster twist rate than the mossbergs do and the rifling is cut deeper. Did I have a good result? No Sir. The accuracy sucked and both barrels leaded up like crazy after just a few shots (and it was a major pain in the butt to clean out).

Another suggestion I've seen for people who want to keep costs down on short range slug scenarios is to try brenneke or fiocchi slugs. Both manufacturers say they can be used in fully rifled barrels, FWIW.

Jim

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

You now own a s.g. with the roughest bore on the market.
Better figure a way to smooth out the machining marks, and the hi and low points in the bore.
The M-50 in smooth bore is a good choice for the shotgunner on a budget, dependable, reliable, rugged, works all the time.
It is NOT a rifle, nor will it ever be.
Get a smoothie barrrel, polishout all the rough stuff, then don't be surprised when B.K.O. slugs shoot 3 inches at 75 yards.
OR: Spend a ton of money of sabot slugs what won't work and leave you broke and disgusted.
Been there, done that.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a 500 and that is not what my barrel looks like inside. Mine is nice and shiney in my rifled barrel. And it shoots lightfield ISD 3" mag sabots out to 125yds one shot one deer. I do have a scope mounted to the reciever and I have shimmed my barrel. And I have out shot more than one 870 or 1187. So if they are that rough it does not make them shoot bad. Most people do not know how to set up a slug gun.The first thing is to make sure that the barrel to reciever fit is tight. If the barrel moves so does the POI of each round you fire. It can be shimmed with a beer or pop can or pinned. I just shimmed mine so that I could change the barrel to the bird barrel. Then to make long shots you need a scope and by shimming the barrel it will save a lot on ammo to find the round that your gun likes. Because it will shoot tighter groups after shimming. And make setting a scope easier.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For the record:

The Mossberg 500 in a 12 gauge, can shoot Foster type Slugs using a smooth barrel and the IMPROVED CYLINDER Accu-Choke. The inner diameter of the 12 ga IMP CYL = 0.725"

As I understand it, slugs are best if a softer lead, and they will get compressed down a bit.

As I'm no expert, I have no actual idea what the limits are, but it seems sensible to shoot slugs under 0.725" if possible.

/

/

/

"Hmmm, load first ask later, kinda backards ain't it, sport? Where you been anyway?"--------Curly-Nohair

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:55 pm 
Limited Edition

Foster slugs can be shot through a FULL choke if desired (although your accuracy may be horrible). The rifling in foster slugs is designed to be compressed/flattened when passing through chokes thus allowing them to be shot out of chokes up to FULL. Usually people find the best accuracy with a CYL or IC choke, but I have witnessed at least one fixed full choke M870 12 ga that shot Federal Foster slugs very accurately (~3.5 inches at 75 yards).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:49 pm 
Field Grade

Sailor_Nate wrote:

thanks again
nate

If thats the case I recommend a good 1 ounce slug. Buckhammers, Winchester BRI's, Lightfields, and my personal favorite (next to the 300 grain SST's), the Barnes expander Hollowpoint, 2 3/4'' in either 385-grain, or 1 ounce.

If you do start to think you could have shots at least out to 100, then I'd recommend the 385 gr Barnes, Remington Buckhammer, and the BRI specifically. No 3'' stuff. Most people find 2 3/4 are a better deal (lower recoil, and sometimes better accuracy).

I personally own a Mossberg 500, with a 24'' barrel and the Integral Scope Mount (cantilever). They're a bit more accurate than people give them credit for, even for a "budget shotgun". :D :lol:

Whatever you choose, make a choice that will best suit you and your situations and what shoots good in your barrel. Shotgun barrels are just as picky or maybe more than a rifle.

Slug-Hunter

Mossberg FTW!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:18 am 
Diamond Grade

Slug-hunter
Quote:
Whatever you choose, make a choice that will best suit you and your situations and what shoots good in your barrel.

Slug-hunter,

Again, I must say you have a very good grasp on the subject matter (especially @ your age). Hunting isn't "a one size fits all" deal and it is up to each of us to determine what wewant/need out of our guns.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:02 pm 
Field Grade

I have a mossberg 930 with a rifled cant. barrel. Its not rough or irregular. Its very smooth. I went through what you are going through with it last year. I tried lightfields, buckhammers, copper solids, breneki ko sabots, and winchester supreme platinums. being as it is a slow twist barrel you wouldn't think the winchester plat. tips would be the best groupong of the bunch in this gun but they are. Now I am using an ultra dot red dot sight on the gun which is harder to shoot small groups with (at least for me) then with a scope. But I was able to shoot all 5 win plat. tips inside of 1 3/4" at 50 yds. second best fo my gun were the buckhammers. I did try rem sluggers and they did lead the barrel. accuracy dropped after 3 rounds.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:22 pm 
Field Grade

jjas wrote:
Slug-hunter
Quote:
Whatever you choose, make a choice that will best suit you and your situations and what shoots good in your barrel.

Slug-hunter,

Again, I must say you have a very good grasp on the subject matter (especially @ your age). Hunting isn't "a one size fits all" deal and it is up to each of us to determine what we want/need out of our guns.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I appreciate that.

Will

Mossberg FTW!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:54 pm 
Utility Grade

This is my first post here at SGW. I know this thread is a bit older, but I wanted to say thanks to those who participated.

I only own one gun, a Mossberg 500 12ga with a rifled barrel. I've owned it for a few years, but haven't used it much, because I've been dealing with some health issues. As I've been getting healthier, my interest in hunting and shooting is increasing, and I'm looking forward to deer hunting in NY's Southern Tier during Thanksgiving week in November.

That said, I've been trying to figure out what the best options are for ammunition. My least favorite part of the gun has been the cost of the sabot slugs I need to put through it. I've yet to try a number of brands, and was unfamiliar with the different options out there. The folks at the local stores haven't been too helpful, and I don't have any friends or family who know guns, but this site is an incredible resource. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

lenflack wrote:
This is my first post here at SGW. I know this thread is a bit older, but I wanted to say thanks to those who participated.

I only own one gun, a Mossberg 500 12ga with a rifled barrel. I've owned it for a few years, but haven't used it much, because I've been dealing with some health issues. As I've been getting healthier, my interest in hunting and shooting is increasing, and I'm looking forward to deer hunting in NY's Southern Tier during Thanksgiving week in November.

That said, I've been trying to figure out what the best options are for ammunition. My least favorite part of the gun has been the cost of the sabot slugs I need to put through it. I've yet to try a number of brands, and was unfamiliar with the different options out there. The folks at the local stores haven't been too helpful, and I don't have any friends or family who know guns, but this site is an incredible resource. Thanks!

Welcome to shotgunworld! If I can ever help you directly, shoot me a pm.

Jim