It is currently Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Firing through a breacher choke
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:41 am 
Utility Grade

I'm new to firearms so this question may seem newbish but, I would like to know if it's safe to fire normally through a breacher choke. I know it supposed to have door-breaching capabilities and most offered are cosmetic (just for the looks). I'm not interested in breaching doors, I was wondering if firing standard slugs through the end is safe? It just looks like small slugs will fly sideways through the holes :shock: lol - but I'm new so I don't know.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Firing through a breacher choke
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:17 am 
Crown Grade

Don't people knock anymore?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You can shoot regular slugs through a breacher choke.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:30 am 
Field Grade

Most breacher chokes are open chokes.... it's more just for the breaching tip than for the performance aspect you would get with a choke.

Now the bigger question is... why not spend a few bucks and get a good choke... leave the breaching choke for when you have to go get that tool out of your neighbor's garage that he borrowed 5 years ago. ;)

E

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I didn't know that they made a beacher choke.

Why on earth would anyone take a perfectly good shotgun and use it to try to knock down a door with the barrel?

I might see using the butt of it,,,,,but where's the sledge hammer?

Oh well. I lot of my friends are cops, and they just love things like that. Last year I was going to buy a Sure Fire flashlight, and I found out they offered a "tactical model",,,which had some raised notches on the end,,,so you could hit folks with it,,,they said.

Sure would be a helluva tight spot where you had to rely on that little flashlight for a club. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:26 pm 
Field Grade

Quote:
Why on earth would anyone take a perfectly good shotgun and use it to try to knock down a door with the barrel?

Ha ha?

The breachink teeth are for grabbing the wood of a door to keep the barrel aligned for the shot on a hinge of a door.... or for folks that don't mind the possiblity of lock mechanism or shot coming back at them holding the barrel on the frame where a dead bolt sits.

But yeah.. other than helping hold a barrel so you can shoot a hole in a door... they aren't much good for anything other than snagging on equipment or vines and branches.

E

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:31 pm 
Field Grade

Schmitti wrote:
Quote:

But yeah.. other than helping hold a barrel so you can shoot a hole in a door... they aren't much good for anything other than snagging on equipment or vines and branches.

E

That's funny.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My, my, how times have changed.

I guess a speedloader isn't the latest in tactical gear anymore,,,,huh? :wink:

(I just gotta think of something for cops to use to break things or hurt people with. If they'll buy a choke that holds the gun steady so they can shoot a hinge off a door,,,I know,,,,a bayonet attachment for a clip board!!! Even better,,,a switch blade attachment for a clip board. You can use it as a ticket book,,,and then if you need it,,,,punch a button,,,and you have a knife!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:)

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Breacher, smeacher. I want a bayonet for the next time I have a crippled Wood Duck. That'll take the fight out of that sucker.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ROTFLOL that is a good one. If your serios though I can point you to a company that makes the adapters.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:16 am 
Crown Grade

Remember the old old days when you got locked out you just called a locksmith...............now you blast the door down with a 12 gauge?? {F*

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Unfortunately the locksmiths in Iraq have a ridiculously long response time. I don't understand why they need breacher ends on their barrels either. Those military guys just need to toughen up. So every once in a while one of them gets hit by an errant buckshot pellet because the angle wasn't right when they needed to breach a door, they're all volunteers anyway. I also got sick of the incessant whining about them not having enough armor on the humvees. What a bunch of wimps. They just want toys that look cool. Couldn't be that there is an actual purpose for this stuff.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:34 am 
Field Grade

Tactical Bling Bling is just a selling point. No actual real use

;)

At least not for us Couch warriors.

E

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:38 am 
Crown Grade

I agree with the tacticool crap. If you can shoot really well you don't need this stuff.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:05 am 
Tournament Grade

If you are talking about using a breacher choke in Iraq this is a case of new fangled equipment not being as effective as the old. The 106 Recoiless Rifle from the Vietnam era was much better suited to opening doors (and entire buildings for that matter). :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:58 am 
Crown Grade

I think you guys just have the "breacher muzzle" all wrong. I can think of a bunch of time I could have used one, like the time my kid locked himself in his room. I mean I would have "breached" the door if I had the right equipment. That time I had to wait til dinner time and he was hungry and left the room without breaching it.
Another time I locked my tool shed and had no way to get in, again, if I had a breacher I could have made it easy. My smartazz wife came out with the key I misplaced and opened the door, she just wanted to make me feel inadequate as a man.
I can't think of HOW MANY times a breacher would have helped. like the time I locked the door on my Vette with the keys inside, easy job for a breacher. But NOOOoooo, the wife had to give me her set to unlock the door, another swipe at my manhood.
I am telling you guys, it won't be long before they are standard equipment on Remington 870's, Mossbergs too.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:32 pm 
Field Grade

Naw... you need this:
http://www.uspatriotstore.com/ProductIn ... =DE-UKMOEK

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oletymer wrote:
I agree with the tacticool crap. If you can shoot really well you don't need this stuff.

You should probably know a little more about the subject before commenting on ballistic breaching. Breaching chokes/devices have less to do with poor shooting skills (actually nothing) than it does with keeping the breaching round on the door and out of the breacher's body.

http://www.weaponevolution.com

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Tijeras_Slim wrote:
Don't people knock anymore?

This is a great way to knock just before you announce someone's about to go to jail!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNBT-uIYOnE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:35 am 
Crown Grade

M24shooter, how do you think doors were breached before breacher chokes came out? It's a good thing you know more than the rest of us. Unless you are in law enforement or the military why would you need to blast doors open?