CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pump shotgun won't load
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:58 am 
Utility Grade

Hi,
My son was given a Mossberg pump shotgun that will not load the next shell. I don't know what they are called, but there are two rails so to speak on each side of the shell that holds them into place. They are supossed to release to let the next shell load, but they don't. Actually, it's only one side that gets in the way of the shell when it trys to load. I was hoping someone could tell me how to remedy the problem. Thanks for any responses.

Post subject: Re: Pump shotgun won't load
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

da324 wrote:
Hi,
I was hoping someone could tell me how to remedy the problem. Thanks for any responses.

Absolutely. Take it to a gunsmith.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Do you mind telling me "what could have happened did", so, I have a clue before taking it to a gunsmith?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I do not mean to be demeaning, but the point is you do not have a clue, therefore you should take it to a gunsmith. Lots of people have a mechanical aptitude and can look at something that is not working properly and deduce what is malfunctioning. I did not sense this described you, therefore trying to play 1,000 questions to get to the bottom of the problem over the internet does not appear to be a time effective solution.
I am sure there are lots of things you know about that would be totally foreign to me, and you trying to educate me in a like maner would be equally unproductive.
My signature at the bottom is a comment on life.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:36 pm 
Utility Grade

"Lots of people have a mechanical aptitude and can look at something that is not working properly and deduce what is malfunctioning. I did not sense this described you"

Thanks for the reply, but I have already deduced what is malfunctioning as stated in my first post. I decided to try and find someone who might have experienced this first hand before disassembling the gun. I thought that's what forums were for, discussing things...I'm a quick study and I don't think it would take "1,000 questions" to get to the bottom of it. Thanks again, and I do appreciate your time...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It you figured out what was wrong why didn't you say so? One should look in the manual and get the proper terminology. The shell stops are operated by the slide rails, if the shell stops are not functioning properly, then this interelationship is not working correctly. You are sitting there looking at it. Are both of them not working or just one? One possibility is something is worn. More likely possibility is something was assembled incorrectly/forced/etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:21 am 
Utility Grade

"I don't know what they are called, but there are two rails so to speak on each side of the shell that holds them into place. They are supossed to release to let the next shell load, but they don't. Actually, it's only one side that gets in the way of the shell when it trys to load".

As you can see I referred to them as rails, not "slide rails" (I don't have a manual, but I'll look to download one to have the proper terminology next time) and stated that one of them was getting in the way.

I don't believe the slide rail is worn, but it could have been assembled incorrectly as you mentioned. I've never taken it apart, but I will and I'll see if both sides match up as far as the assmebly goes. Thanks for the help...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The shell stops are what are/is holding the shell. The slide rails come back from the forend to the bolt and that is what operates eveything in one way or another. There are steps and angles on the slide rails (also called action arms, forend tube assembly, depends on manufacturer) and as these engage the shell stops and other parts they make things work.
The rails on both sides are not the same because actions are sequenced.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

Download a manual here:

http://www.mossbergs.com/manuals/500_835_590_535_en.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:11 am 
Utility Grade

I've dissasembled the gun completely and reassembled it. Everything appears to be okay, visually anyway. I guess my slide stops are not engaging the shell stops properly to release the shell so it can be chambered; the shells never leave the magazine. I guess I'm off to a gunsmith at this point since I have no clue why the rails won't activate the stops. Thanks very much for your help.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:14 am 
Presentation Grade

You did not mention the age of your shotgun, or how much usuage it had on it! Since you tore the gun down and reassembled it, did you notice any extreme wear? As you know, the magazine rails are left and right and have a protrusion about half way back on each of them. These are there to allow the bolt assembly to depress the rails as it travels to the rear of the receiver and cause them to squeeze toward the inside of the receiver on each side, which in turn causes the front of the rails to move away from the magazine tube and allow a shell to move into the receiver. As the bolt moves forward it picks up the shell and chambers it. As the bolt moves back into battery it has as this point passed the protrusions allowing the magazine rails to return to their at rest position, preventing another shell from releasing into the receiver. I would check the mag rails for wear. These are usually the culprit on problems such as you describe as the bolt itself seldom wears in this area. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:35 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

Joining in late,

the proper name according to Numrich is, Action Slide Tube Assembly: Double Bar, the bars are pinned into the tube assembly,

I don't know why it matters as the bars are pretty solid into the, Bolt Slide,

The bars are pinned into Action Slide Tube Assembly, if one of the pins brakes, it effects the function and feeding of the shotgun. I don't know why, but when one comes in with a feeding problem it is the first thing I look at, It is not an always thing but frequently enough to go there first.

Unless it is a much older single bar model, and those are OLD!

My dad started teaching me how to work on guns at an early age, so I now have more then 4 decades. rebluing is my base skill, repair is my joy.

I thank the Good Lord for My Abilities and my dad for the opportunity.