CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help: Hunting deer w/ 410 slug, is it legal in your state?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

So as many that read this sub-forum know I am fairly avid fan of the 410 slug and deer hunting with 410 slugs. I also know that hunting deer with a 410 slug is a somewhat controversial subject, but setting that controversial aspect of the subject aside for the moment I was wonder if the readers here could help me with some research.

I have, over the past week or two, attempted to look through the hunting regulations of ever state in the union to see if hunting deer with a 410 slug was legal in that state. I would like to put together a table of that data for my website. I have had pretty good success finding results but could use some help to check and fill in the spots were I am still missing data. Some states hunting regulation were easy to find and easy to read others states were more difficult to find or understand their regulations and a few state's regulations were down right confusing.

So if you could kindly take a look at the list below and take a minute to check if I have your state (or states you hunt in) correct I would be very appreciative. If you see an error or can fill in a state I don't know yet that would be great. Please add detail to a yes or no answer for your state. If you can provide a link to supporting info that would be excellent.

Code:
Is hunting deer with a 410 slug legal?

State      Yes/No  Comments
-----      ------  --------
Alabama   Yes   10ga or smaller
Alaska   ?   Need help finding law
Arizona   Yes   No gauge specified
Arkansas   Yes   410 or larger
California   Yes   No gauge specified
Colorado   No   20ga or larger
Connecticut   No   12, 16, 20 only
Delaware   No   Need help finding law
Florida   Yes   No gauge specified
Georgia   ?   Need help finding law
Hawaii   ?   Need help finding law
Idaho   Yes   No gauge specified
Illinois   No   10ga - 20ga
Indiana   Yes   10-12-16-20 and 410
Iowa   No   10ga - 20ga
Kansas   no   20ga or larger
Kentucky   Yes   10ga -410
Louisiana   Yes   No gauge specified
Maine   Yes   No gauge specified
Maryland   No   20ga or larger
Massachusetts   Yes   10ga or smaller
Michigan   Yes   No gauge specified
Minnesota   Yes   No gauge specified
Mississippi   ?   Need help finding law
Missouri   Yes   410 slug specificly allowed
Montana   Yes   No gauge specified
Nebraska   No   20 or larger
Nevada   No   10ga - 20ga
New Hampshire   Yes   No gauge specified
New Jersey   No   10ga - 20ga
New Mexico   No   28ga or larger
New York   No   20ga or larger
North Carolina   ?   Need help finding law
North Dakota   No   20ga or larger
Ohio   Yes   10ga - 410
Oklahoma   No   20ga or larger
Oregon   Yes   No gauge specified
Pennsylvania   Yes   No gauge specified
Rhode Island   No   10ga - 20ga
South Carolina   ?   Need help finding law
South Dakota   No   1000 ft-lbs for shoulder fired
Tennessee   Yes   No gauge specified
Texas   ?   Need help finding law
Utah   No   20ga or larger
Vermont   ?   Need help finding law
Virginia   Yes   No gauge specified
Washington   No   10ga - 20ga
West Virginia   Yes   No gauge specified
Wisconsin   No   Explicitly say no 410
Wyoming   ?   Need help finding law

22   Allow 410 slugs for deer
   9   states are undetermined
   19   Do not allow 410 slugs for deer

Thanks
mcb

Post subject: Re: Help: Hunting deer w/ 410 slug, is it legal in your state?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:48 pm 
Field Grade

You may have to actually call some of the state game folks... the confusing language could put you in a world of legal hurt if you thought one thing while the law (in some sub law) said another.

I had to talk to someone with regards to hunting with semi auto shotguns in NY... PA it's a big "no-no". In NY it's okay.

E

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

Schmitti wrote:
You may have to actually call some of the state game folks... the confusing language could put you in a world of legal hurt if you thought one thing while the law (in some sub law) said another.

I had to talk to someone with regards to hunting with semi auto shotguns in NY... PA it's a big "no-no". In NY it's okay.

E

I am just trying to get and idea. My list is in no way to be a guide to what is legal or not just to get and idea of how many states it might be legal to hunt deer with a 410. Many states have zones/districts or similar and what might be legal in one area would not it another. Its just a survey to get an idea of how wide spread the legal use of 410 slugs on deer might be. Curiosity's sake only.

mcb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:00 pm 
Field Grade

Down here in south carolina where im at, when gun season comes in for deer you can hunt deer with any firearm. 10 ga, 12, 16, 20, 28, and 410. Even pistols. You can hunt deer with all of those. We do NOT however, have a specialized season for shotguns. But muzzleloaders we do.

I myself am going to be hunting with a 12 gauge Moss. 500 w/ rifled barrel this coming season.

Mossberg FTW!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:03 pm 
Field Grade

I forgot to add in my last post, North Carolina does have shotgun only areas around Charlotte NC, don't know where else. As far as that goes, I don't believe gauge is restricted for NC. From my dad's hunting experience you can use whatever gauge you want. He knew a guy that had a 10 gauge shotgun, shooting 2 ozs of #4 shot. It was a double barrel. Killed a doe with that load and gun when he pulled both triggers at once on a man drive.

Mossberg FTW!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

Once, many years ago I found a doe wandering around a pasture.
Closer examination revealed she took a load of bird shot to the face during gun season. Illegal as hell ya know.
The blinded, infected doe ws put down by me with my 2" Smith .38 Spl.
I can't use the words here to say what I feel about a dingbat using birdshot for deer.
I hope you feel the same way.
It's just plain sick to pull a stunt like that. :oops: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:32 am 
Tournament Grade

Along the same lines as the previous post:

What drives me nuts is those fracking idiots who things guns shoot like lazers and don't compensate for range and blow the front legs off and leave three legged critters running around. This is a problem with any firearm but especially slug-guns.

:w are they thinking?

Now back to back to the original topic under discussion. Montana regs, at least at current go a little beyond just not specifing which guages are legal and which arn't. At one point in the big game hunting regs it specifically has wording stating "There is no caliber restrictions in Montana, however due prudence and sportsmanship is expected" or something like that. I could probably go pull the regs and get an exact quote but I'm feeling lazy right now. In other words it's all legal but don't get stupid or we will just bust you for being stupid. In my personal opinion the jury is still out on whether a 410 would be entirely outside the stupid catagory. Some hunters like yourself McBirch seem to know what there doing with it but I'm not so sure about others.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

Slug-Hunter wrote:
Down here in south carolina where im at, when gun season comes in for deer you can hunt deer with any firearm. 10 ga, 12, 16, 20, 28, and 410. Even pistols. You can hunt deer with all of those. We do NOT however, have a specialized season for shotguns. But muzzleloaders we do.

I myself am going to be hunting with a 12 gauge Moss. 500 w/ rifled barrel this coming season.

Thanks for the info on South Caroline. Those were one of the more difficult game laws to sift through.

tommygirlMT wrote:
Along the same lines as the previous post:

What drives me nuts is those fracking idiots who things guns shoot like lazers and don't compensate for range and blow the front legs off and leave three legged critters running around. This is a problem with any firearm but especially slug-guns.

:w are they thinking?

Now back to back to the original topic under discussion. Montana regs, at least at current go a little beyond just not specifing which guages are legal and which arn't. At one point in the big game hunting regs it specifically has wording stating "There is no caliber restrictions in Montana, however due prudence and sportsmanship is expected" or something like that. I could probably go pull the regs and get an exact quote but I'm feeling lazy right now. In other words it's all legal but don't get stupid or we will just bust you for being stupid. In my personal opinion the jury is still out on whether a 410 would be entirely outside the stupid catagory. Some hunters like yourself McBirch seem to know what there doing with it but I'm not so sure about others.

Thank for the confirmation on Montana.

mcb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:01 pm 
Field Grade

"Thanks for the info on South Caroline. Those were one of the more difficult game laws to sift through."

NP, I can hardly make sense of the laws myself! :cry:

jeager106 wrote:
Once, many years ago I found a doe wandering around a pasture.
Closer examination revealed she took a load of bird shot to the face during gun season. Illegal as hell ya know.
The blinded, infected doe ws put down by me with my 2" Smith .38 Spl.
I can't use the words here to say what I feel about a dingbat using birdshot for deer.
I hope you feel the same way.
It's just plain sick to pull a stunt like that. :oops: :evil: :evil:

It was #4 Buckshot :P not birdshot... although I agree completely. He should have been using at least 0 Buck or 00 Buck.

Mossberg FTW!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:09 pm 
Limited Edition

per the Texas Parks and Wildlife hunting regs, page 54 under Means and Methods *Game animals and birds may be hunted with any legal firearm except rimfire ammunition of any caliber. Then on page 69 a legal shot gun is defined as one that is not over 10 ga and has a plug so that it will hold no more than 3 shells total. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:40 pm 
Field Grade

I followed up on the north carolina thing... Page 40 of the rules and regulations book says that you can only use 10 gauge shotguns or smaller. No bigger. Example: You can shoot a 10 gauge, but you cant hunt deer or birds with an 8 or 6 gauge.

Mossberg FTW!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks Clayduster46 and Slug-Hunter.

mcb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:17 am 
Presentation Grade

here in Miss. you can use a 410 slug for deer hunting on private land,but not sure about public land

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:50 pm 
Field Grade

Heres a question for you Mcbirch:

I'm going to be getting back my old .410 Youth Shotgun, a NEF Pardner Youth, and I was wondering: With it's fixed full choke will it be ok to shoot the Brenneke Silver slugs out of the barrel? I have some stands in pretty thick cover and using it as a 50-yard-at-most slug gun would keep it from gathering dust. Provided its going to be even accurate at that distance with either the Brenneke or other slugs. Plus, the 410 slug would be good medicine for the neighborhood dogs or coyotes that might come up in the yard.

Thanks,
Slug-Hunter from SC

Mossberg FTW!