CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newish 930, shell stop malfunction
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:37 pm 
Utility Grade

So I'm at my sister's ranch, ready to devastate their hog population and I drop a shell in the open receiver and push the button...

The button goes sideways and jambs the action. I manage to pull the receiver back and eject the shell, catch the shell stop {item #15 & 17} and the spring {item #21}, and wonder what just happened.

I start to disassemble the gun so I can get a good look at where that shell stop goes and how it fits in there, but I cannot remove the operating handle. I download the instructions from Mossberg's web page, notice that I did disassemble it properly, and still cannot get the handle to release.

I get frustrated and start looking carefully at the shell stop. I see a hole where a pin should fit, and see a hole in the receiver assembly where a pin should fit, but no pin {item #19}.

I wonder how that pin fell out? And why couldn't I remove the handle?

I called Mossberg and they are sending me the pin and the retaining clip.

Has this happened to anyone, yet?

Post subject: Re: Newish 930, shell stop malfunction
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

In the over 5000 rds I have put through my 930 SPX the shell stop/bolt release has never given any trouble. Could be the retaining clip came off and let the pin fall out which let the shell stop etc. come loose.The operating handle is a tight fit in the bolt but it should pull straight out though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:36 am 
Utility Grade

It has been two weeks since Mossberg said they would mail me the pin & clip.
Guess I need to call and remind them I am still waiting...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:57 pm 
Utility Grade

I received the pin and a clip in the mail today., but the clip does not even begin to fit the pin, so I guess I make another phone call tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:24 am 
Utility Grade

I ordered part # 19 & 20 and received part # 18 & 20. Oops...

That's not the main problem. Sometime between June 15 & July 2, I lost the rest of the assembly... I spent 6 hours on Friday and 4 hours today looking for that assembly that I put in a zip lock baggy, so I wouldn't loose the spring... :x

Oh well... another email sent to Mossberg... :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Well, this saga is over.

I did find my missing parts in my travel bag, and after 3 tries, Mossberg finally sent me item #19 (rear shell stop pin)(received it 8-7-09). Allegedly, somewhere in the USPS, there is an envelope with another #19 pin floating around.

I think they still have some issues in their service department, however my problem is solved for now. I'll be watching that clip and pin closely every time I shoot the 930.