PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:59 am 
Field Grade

How about this?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =131728987

Post subject: Re: best over-under under $1000 for skeet
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:21 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

My friend wanted a gun for skeet shooting. He shoots for fun about about once a week. I had two guns to offer him. One was an 90%+ Ithaca/SKB with 28" SK/SK barrels for $600 and the other was a 90% Browning Superposed with 26" SK/SK barrels for $900. He took the Browning after he shot both guns.

The best advice that I could give you would to check out several guns and see which one seems to fit you best. Don't worry about buying a 10 or 13 pound skeet gun until you are shooting alot of rounds. At that point you can have a Perazzi, Kolar or Ljutic made for you.

Also a semi auto such as a Remington M1100, Beretta 390 or even a Browning A5 can fill the bill at alot less money. I bought a very minty M1100 TB skeet for $375 not long ago. It is a good looking and shooting gun.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:53 am 
Field Grade

Bulldog50 wrote:
Gentlemen,

He did not mention anything about competition. He is shooting a few rounds once a week with his buddies.

Mr. ddhotbot,

Take a look at Verona shotguns. They are well regarded for their quality. See the I love my Verona section of this site. Here is a link for a Verona LX 680 Gold Competition 12 Ga. with 30" barrels. Italian craftsmanship. Nothing Fancy. Matte finish barrels, oil wood, adjustable comb. This would suit you well and hold up for a lifetime of shooting at your current level. $ 1005 including shipping . I am not the seller.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =131741062

The best gun for you is one you love, and are confident with.

Speaking of Verona shotguns, Mr. Bulldog. How about this one?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =131270798

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:39 pm 
Limited Edition

Another good suggestion. So long as it has screw in chokes (probably does). Pretty case hardened receiver.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:11 pm 
Field Grade

Other good Verona buys,

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =131834817

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =131729546

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:21 pm 
Utility Grade

How about a used Ruger Red Label 20 guage W/ 28" barrel & pistol grip stock......

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:47 am 
Presentation Grade

If you get a chance to shoulder a Verona and it seems to fit you well give it a chance.
I really like my 20 ga. I'm not competitive myself but I really enjoy shooting it occasionally on Sunday mornings with a few friends. Guessing the 12 ga would serve you well it if the fit feels right. Just MHO.

B.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

good deals are out there. i was lucky and got this beauty for 750.00 everything in the picture was included.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I own a 1984 Citori Standard Hunting Model with 28" barrels and Invector tubes. It has three inch chambers, will shoot steel shot, and I'd guess it weighs a tad over eight pounds. I own fancier over and unders,,,but it's as good a gun as anybody could reasonably ever desire.

It's ninety some per cent perfect,,,,still all pretty and shiny,,,,,and I'd be lucky to get a thousand bucks for it,,,,if I was selling.

I'm NOT selling,,,,but somebody somewhere is selling one just like it for less than a thousand bucks. If I somehow lost mine,,,I'd be racing you to buy one just like it right back. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

There are plenty of outstanding used shotguns on the market for under $1000. In particular, Charles Daly/Miroku, Ithaca/SKB OU's can often be found for around $600 to $700 and standard grade brownings and Berettas are easy to find around $1000.

Guns with fixed chokes and barrels shorter than 30" will generally be the most affordable and will break 100 straight skeet targets just fine if they fit you well and are choked appropriately.

Weagle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:24 am 
Presentation Grade

If you are going to shoot skeet with a 12 gauge, you had better learn to reload and shoot 7/8 oz loads around 1050 fps when using an over/under, particularly, a light (under 8 lbs) over/under....I know, "recoil does not bother me"...but it will....GUARANTEED...if you shoot a LOT....

If you don't reload get a semiauto. If you do reload and shoot a over/under, here are choices:

New Over/Under Gun:
1. Lanber (loved in Europe) 2097 on sale at CDNN. Reliable.

Used Over/Under Gun:
1. Browning Superposed (better fit/finish, workmanship than Citoris) but a Citori is a good second choice (super-reliable and heavy).
2. Beretta 682 Silver receiver (older, thicker receiver) used..they kick a lot in 12 gauge unless you shoot a tubed 20 gauge set in 12 gauge events.
3. Valmet 412 (hard to find parts. Hyper-reliable and HEAVY which is what you want if you are not shooting tubes).
4. Remington 3200 (forearm will crack, Heavy, reliable but hard to find for the money).

In an over/under, you want a reliable gun that is heavy!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:27 am 
Field Grade

Gunbroker has some very, very nice Veronas for bid
that will probably go for less that $1000.00

Aren't these either Zoli or Rizzini made? :?:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A5guy wrote:
At that point you can have a Perazzi, Kolar or Ljutic made for you.

I thought Lujtic only made single barrels?

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:39 am 
Diamond Grade

I haven't read this entire thread so I apologize if this has already been mentioned...

Used Browning Citoris with fixed chokes can be had from $800 to $900... If you want this gun specifically for skeet only than have the barrels drilled out skeet/skeet... If you want a lighter gun ~6.75 lbs, get a 20ga... I find no advantage using a 12ga versus a 20ga for Skeet..

Or you can get a fixed choke Citori with IC/Mod that would make a great all around everything gun... It's just that 2nd double shot on skeet would be a bit more challenging with the Modified choke..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:59 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I figured that he might get interested in trap. too!

I have not checked with them for quite some time but I think that you might still get a LM6 or a Dyna Bi Gun. A guy at the clup has a LM6 set up for skeet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

what is LM6?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ddhotbot wrote:
what is LM6?

It is a response to my question about Ljutic guns being only single barrels. Unless you have about $12K, you should forget about this one. A little research reveals that only about 28 of these were ever made.

Here's a pic:

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

Why don't you get another Russian for now. Keep on shooting and have fun. Set up a skeet/sporting gun fund jar and save up for awhile. I'm in that process now but, what I'm looking at is more like $2,500. Browning XS Skeet with adjustable comb and rib. I got bit hard by the skeet bug recently and this is a game I want to learn and get good at. Good to me = can hold my own while shooting and have fun. I just want to do it with a nice gun. I've seen $400 Remmy TB Trap pumps smoke $8000 Peruzzis in trap shoots. It ain't about the cost. Don't burden yourself with having to spend that kind of jack$$$$$$$$$ if it isn't on the books to have a high dollar gun. I ain't interested in any world class shooting or anything it takes to get there. Trying to shoot better sounds like fun.......Getting to world class sounds like a job. I'm just breaking away from the trap game for awhile. While I have plenty of thing to shoot skeet with I'm doing it with my 20 Remmy 1100. Good enough for now until I fill that jar and one day I'll diddly bop my way out to the pads with my XS Skeet. Have fun it ain't no competition, why stress yourself out.