CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shoulder Recoil Pad vs. Shooting vest?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

Does anyone shoot targets with a Shoulder Recoil Pad instead of a shooting vest?

I currently shoot without either but I'm thinking about getting one or the other. The reason I thought about the Shoulder Pad is that I like my shirts to fit loose and on occasion I have caught part of my shirt on the buttstock while I'm mounting the gun. Kinda throws me off a bit. The one I'm looking at is this one from Cabelas:

http://www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0022205.shtml

I also like the concept because it seems to be a better recoil pad than anything a vest at a comparable price can offer. This, by the way, is a secondary reason for getting it.

Post subject: Re: Shoulder Recoil Pad vs. Shooting vest?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have one similar to those and I don't like it. It's another piece of gear to carry around and it doesn't really make that much difference in recoil to me. I'd rather invest in a quality recoil pad for the gun.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

i shoot with a Browning vest that has their Reactor pad built in plus the pad on my gun.no recoil problems with me :D :D knock on wood. :lol:

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:18 am 
Crown Grade

One other option you might look at is this. https://02c16e3.netsolstores.com/index. ... rodID=2945 it does a good job reducing felt recoil.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I bought one of the shoulder pads with the straps. Worthless. No way to keep it exactly where it belongs. If you gotta have one get the vest.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

One of the main things that helps a shooter tolerate the effect of recoil is using a proper gun mount. This "gimmick" shoulder pad is actually detrimental to proper gun mount. In my opinion it is worse than worthless. Do not take my word for it, go to a big competition shoot and look at (300) plus shooters and tell us how many are wearing shoulder pads. The likely answer will be (0). Better yet, go to one of the big Grand Trap Shoots and look at (3,000) shooters. I will bet that you will have a hard time finding anyone at all using that product.

Last edited by Zac Crawford on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I agree with all the above. A good vest, especially one with Browning's Reactor vest pad, will do a good job of reducing felt recoil AND promote consistent gun mounts, something which is very important to good shooting.

Reactor pads are available from Browning separately for $20 and come with their own mesh bag that can be sewn into any vest.

With a decent recoil pad, a gun that fits when accompanied by consistent gun mounts, felt recoil is kept to a minimum with all common shells in use for clay target sports.

Author: Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition - Gun-fitting & shooting instruction for shooters of all ages and disciplines. http://www.amazon.com in their book section.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks to everyone for their input, especially the bits about Browning's Reactar pad. I hadn't heard of them before specifically that they can be added to other brands of vests. Great idea!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here ya go:
http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... ype=309012

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

Rastoff - Thanks, I did see that Cabelas carries them and will make a trip to go check them out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

I use both. I had a frozen shoulder and wanted to give it the best of both worlds. Works fine for me. (I also needed my stock to be a touch longer and the recoil pad solved that.)

Fausti O/U 28 ga
Remington 1100 410 ga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:17 pm 
Crown Grade

I would get a vest or a good recoil pad. Browning and Beretta make a good vest for the price.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

I really like the Browning Rectar pad. It give me just the right amount of recoil protection I like and is not so think that i think it affects my gun mount. I have several different vest and shirts with pockets for the pad. All the Browning vest and shirts come with a pocket, but my wife has actually made and sewn pockets into my other vest and some shirts for the pad. (I am lucky to have a skilled seamstress at home.)

Good gun fit also helps alot.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:40 pm 
Field Grade

I suggest getting a vest that fits well.

I got one that is a size too large. Figured I could fit vest over a coat or sweater.

But when wearing a t-shirt, pad is not in the right spot.

So now I gotta buy another vest that fits properly for warm weather shooting. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Rastoff wrote:
I have one similar to those and I don't like it. It's another piece of gear to carry around and it doesn't really make that much difference in recoil to me. I'd rather invest in a quality recoil pad for the gun.

I agree with Rastoff a quality recoil pad for your gun will be just as good and you wont be made fun of for being a sissy :D I prefer a vest because it offers a pad, a place to put your shells, and a place to show off of your patches.

Benelli Super Nova MAX4HD 28" 12ga
Remington 870 super mag turkey camo w/ scope 12ga
Benelli M2 MAX4HD 28" 12ga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

After reading everyone's responses to my original post, I went on a hunt for a vest.
I tried on a number of different brands at several different stores. I also looked into the Browning Reactar pads. What I found out about vests is that:
1. Most lower priced vests ($50 or less) do not have the pocket to slip in any type of aftermarket pads, i.e. Browing Reactar.
2. Higher priced vests ($70 or higher) offer the pocket but, with my body style, the pad pockets are in the wrong spot. For example, the top of the pocket falls in line with my armpit. The pad, once slipped in, now covers an area below my armpit and no where near where I mount my gun.
3. Browning Reactar pads, are nice and very thin which is a plus.
After, trying to think what I could do given my body style and where I mount my gun I was at a loss about what to do. I kept going back to the idea about getting a shoulder recoil pad.
I see that a lot of people were not impressed with anything on the market, however, I did find this one -

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/p ... structions

Three features attracted me to this pad. The first being that the pad material covers a larger surface area than the Browing Reactar, it covers from the top of my shoulder down to my armpit - the exact area where I need to mount my gun. Second is that the thickness is virtually the same as Browning's. And last is that it is easier to adjust where I want to put the pad when comparing it to what I would have to do to make a vest's pad fit properly. So, even if it does shift slightly out of position there is plenty of surface area to the pad that my mount area, on my shoulder, is still covered by the padding.

Shot several rounds with it today and my scores were right where they always are and I felt great and my mount wasn't affected in the slightest.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:53 am 
Field Grade

Then the final outcome is all that matters.