CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fit of Browning Citori Superlight 12 vs. 20 gauge
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:05 am 
Tournament Grade

A local shop has a 1985 Citori Superlight in 20 gauge marked for $799. This is the earlier steel receiver Superlight with straight English stock and 24" invector barrels. It appears to have been carried a lot with some bluing wear and some dings and scratches in the stock, but is still very tight. I checked with Browning and they confirmed that the "123" model designation was a 20 gauge superlight even though it wasn't listed on their website.

I have a 1991 Superlight 12 gauge with similar features that I really like, so was planning to buy the 20 gauge. Before I bought it though, I wanted to check out the fit compared to my 12 gauge.

Last year I started a thread that compared the frame and stock dimensions on a Light 12 and Sweet 16. Here is a link:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=144311

In that case I ended up selling the Sweet 16 even though I really liked the weight and gauge, because I simply could not get the gun to fit me. Even though the Light 12 fit me perfectly, the lower sight line on the Sweet 16 just wouldn't work.

Learning from my mistake I took my Superlight 12 gauge in to the shop to compare the dimensions. Sure enough the Superlight 20 gauge has the same fit issues as the Sweet 16. Basically the sight line to comb dimensions is almost 1/4" less than the 12 gauge versions of the same model. It is not much, but at least on the Sweet 16 is was enoguh to consistantly throw off my shooting. I guess i will have to pass on this Superlight 20 gauge.

Has anyone tried to solve the same problem? I'd like to have a smaller gauge Citori Superlight that would fit me. I guess Browning just assumes the smaller frame guns will be used by smaller dimensioned people, ha.

Thanks,
Cass

Post subject: Re: Fit of Browning Citori Superlight 12 vs. 20 gauge
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

On President's day 1994 I blew up my beloved 1913 20 gauge Flues Ithaca side by side shooting back yard trap. I wasn't hurt, but I was powerfully sad. So,,,like when a kid's puppy dies,,,,I had to go out right then and there and buy a new little 20 gauge to replace it.

I bought a Browning "Upland Special" Citori with a straight stock and 24" barrels. It was the saddest, sorriest, worst fitting, hardest kicking, impossible to hit anything with shotgun I've ever owned. It would put black bruises on you shooting it about four rounds of skeet. My scores went from twentysomething to tensomething every time I shot it. I'd pass it around on Wednesday night and none of my buddies could shoot it either. Finally I took it to a gun show and sold it to some unsuspecting fellow like you. :wink: (It sure was a good looking gun)

I happen to own a 1984 geniune steel framed Superlight Citori in 12 gauge, with 26 inch barrels. I can shoot that one about as well as anything I own.

I'm the guy that believes that the best gun fitter is 500 rounds of ammunition and open house at a sporting clays range. Grit your teeth, son,,,and fit yourself to the gun,,,that's the way to go!! But,,, that beautiful little 20 gauge Citori is the only gun I can remember that I couldn't follow my own advice and learn how to shoot, no matter how much I shot it.

Post subject: Re: Fit of Browning Citori Superlight 12 vs. 20 gauge
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Wow, that does make me glad I didn't go ahead, ha! I'm glad I checked it out enough to see that it wouldn't fit me well.

When I had my Sweet 16 I tried the grit your teeth and learn the gun as you described. It didn't work for me either. I do think that approach generally holds true though as long as the gun fits reasonably well.

Thanks,
Cass