CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hawk 982
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:23 am 
Field Grade

I'm considering purchasing a Hawk 982 pump action. Does anybody here have experience with Hawk? considering that its Chinese, will the receiver turn into a frag grenade after i fire 1k shots through it? it looks like an 870 clone, are parts interchangable?

thanks guys

-greg

Post subject: Re: Hawk 982
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:50 am 
Presentation Grade

Google search Norinco 982. There is tons of info on the net. They have become very popular and most places have waiting list for them. They are hard to get right now because the last time they were imported was about a year ago.

GC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:53 am 
Field Grade

Another similar gun is the NEF Pardner Pump. A bit different "look" to the receiver, but essentially the same.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:42 am 
Limited Edition

The 982 shares almost every thing as the 870 the only thing that I know that will not change over is the 982 barrel to the 870. But the 870 barrel will go on a 982 but you will need to use a spacer of some sort between the barrel lug and the mag cap. As for the trigger group goes I'm not real sure but don't think they are interchangeable. I have switch stocks, fore ends, bolts,fore end tube, and the mag caps but have not tried the trigger groups. I will post up some more tomorrow about the differences of the guns.

I like the 982 for the cost, if the gun was more than I would pass on it due to the fit and finish is not that good. On mine the set screws were to long so the ghost ring would move around no matter how tight I got it. other than that its a OK shotgun but it is a good deal if you want to beat some thing and not care if it looks ugly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:34 am 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
I like the 982 for the cost, if the gun was more than I would pass on it due to the fit and finish is not that good. On mine the set screws were to long so the ghost ring would move around no matter how tight I got it. other than that its a OK shotgun but it is a good deal if you want to beat some thing and not care if it looks ugly.

The fit and finish is just as good as 590A1. On the 590A1 there is exposed thick brazing around the outside of the barrel lug ring & the front GRS. The only exposed brazing on the 982 is on the forend metal tube and hidden by the polymer forend. The finish on the 982, 590 & 870 all rub off pretty easy. The stock fit on the 982 is very good and the recoil pad is nicer than most recoil pads that come on more expensive shotguns. I can tell you for a fact if the screws were longer on your shotgun that it's not the norm. I have handle around hundred of these shotguns and never ran into that problem. The 870 trigger guard and group is a drop in fit on the 982. The one on the 982 is nicer then the one on the 870P or Express models. It's made of higher quality aluminum. The 982 & 590A1 have a rugged military shotgun look to them and they look like they can take a beating. That's what I want in a tactical shotgun. The 982 is one hell of deal. There is no other shotgun on the market that offers the quality, features & reliability for the price. Non that even come close. The reliability of the 982 is unsurpassed. If the 982 was manufacture to the same specs in the USA it would probably retail around $400.

Dealers who carry them have a waiting for them. They are Big 5 stores in CA number one seller out of all the firearms they carry.

GC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:32 pm 
Utility Grade

I had the same issue with my 982, the windage set screw was too long and bottoming out on the elevation dovetail, allowing the ring to move side to side. Easy fix, but still, I had to fix it. Other than that my 982 has been nothing but a pleasure, no issues with installing my Hogue stock and forend. Now to send the barrel for choke tube installation, and it's good to go.

I bought the 982 to get a new shotgun for the money I would have paid for a used 870. I wasn't going to buy a new 870, so Remington wasn't getting anything from me either way. If the shop I buy all my guns from would have had a used 870, I would have bought one, but he had this instead. After shooting it, I don't regret my decision one bit. I was looking for a dependable beater shotgun to keep loaded with buckshot by the bed at night, and that is exactly what I got.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:54 pm 
Field Grade

thanks guys! well, now i know, if i can come across one, its mine. but im still between a used 870 and the hawk (whichever comes first).

thanks for all the info!

-greg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:56 am 
Field Grade

hey guys, so i went into big 5 today (i go in weekly just to dick around and hold guns) and they're stocked to the max with these hawks!

btw, is 189.99 a deal, or average?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:06 am 
Presentation Grade

$190 is a deal grab one. That means more have been imported into the US and will be showing up in dealers racks soon. The Big chain stores always get then first.

GC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:38 pm 
Utility Grade

Here's my new Hawk 982 w/ Max100's tube extender

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj39 ... 1980-1.jpg
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj39 ... 1982-1.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:34 pm 
Utility Grade

The Remington R3 recoil pad that Academy has for about $20 is a nice addition to this shotgun, makes a big difference in felt recoil on buck and slugs. Wish mine would fit my 12" LOP Hogue, but I guess I'll have to get a grind to fit LimbSaver for that.

How does that mag extension lock up, since the detents are on the inside on the factory piece? If I am seeing it right, you would lose that with an extension, since the area where the teeth are on the inside of the cap would be where the tube extends on the new piece.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:02 am 
Field Grade

yet another update

i talked to the store manager of big 5 today (friend o mine)

he told me $239.99

ha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:04 am 
Utility Grade

I gave $250 OTD for mine, and thought it was an OK deal, since at the time you couldn't find one. I saw what the price was on it at the gun shop, and did a search on the net for one to compare, and couldn't find one in stock, so I bought it. If they have several, look at the ring on the GRS, see if it is loose at all, and pick one that is tight, so at least you won't have to mess with that part.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
If they have several, look at the ring on the GRS, see if it is loose at all, and pick one that is tight, so at least you won't have to mess with that part.

It really doesn't matter because you should replace the elevation slot set screw and the two mount slot screws with better socket head screws. The size for all three is Metric M4. The length for the set screw is 5 mm I believe. You will have to shorten the new mount screws with a dermel or a bench grinder. Pull the trigger group and you can see the screws sticking through the reciver and can tell how much they need to be shortened. All three screws can be found at most hardware stores for about 50 cent each.

Big 5 usually has a sale on the Hawk 982 for $199. If they have as many as stated they will having a sale on them soon.

Quote:
How does that mag extension lock up, since the detents are on the inside on the factory piece?

The 982 doesn't have a detent on the barrel ring. My extensions have the ridges on the bottom of the base to engage a detent. Some might loosen under recoil without the detent. The ones that do, you can have a detent installed or I have heard some use plumbers tape on the shotgun mag tube threads. That should hold it pretty well.

GC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:53 pm 
Utility Grade

MAX100 wrote:

It really doesn't matter because you should replace the elevation slot set screw and the two mount slot screws with better socket head screws. The size for all three is Metric M4. The length for the set screw is 5 mm I believe. You will have to shorten the new mount screws with a dermel or a bench grinder. Pull the trigger group and you can see the screws sticking through the reciver and can tell how much they need to be shortened. All three screws can be found at most hardware stores for about 50 cent each. GC

The issue I had with mine wasn't either the elevation or mount screws, although I did replace the slot screw with an allen head set screw for elevation adjustment. My problem was that the tiny slot-head screw for locking down the windage adjustment was going through the sight block, and bottoming out against the elevation dovetail and wouldn't tighten enough to secure the ring in the windage dovetail. You could try to torque it until you twisted it off, and it still wouldn't hold the ring in place side to side.

I guess either install a detent or using tape would work. Hmmm, I have a spring and ball laying around after I did the "G" conversion to my PX4 Storm, maybe that would work for a ball detent.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
I have a spring and ball laying around after I did the "G" conversion to my PX4 Storm, maybe that would work for a ball detent.

You could order a detent & spring from Mossberg or Remington, drill a hole fore it and stake it in.

Quote:
My problem was that the tiny slot-head screw for locking down the windage adjustment was going through the sight block,

You can replace it with a socket set screw also. I don't know the size but it should be Metric. If it's smaller the size will probably be M3. Hardware stores DON'T CARRY M3 you will have to order some online.

GC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:17 am 
Limited Edition

Quote:
My problem was that the tiny slot-head screw for locking down the windage adjustment was going through the sight block, and bottoming out against the elevation dovetail and wouldn't tighten enough to secure the ring in the windage dovetail

What I did for that was take the screw out and a knife sharping stone and shorting the screw down a little bit at a time. Check to make sure that you can adj the elevation with out loosen the windage and your good to go.
So far other than that the barrel leads up with slugs a lot in mine because you can still see the machine marks in the barrel. So I just polished the barrel with some mothers mag polish on a mop and used a power drill to spin it. Hope it works out better next trip to the range.

It was the only one at the time so I had no choice for a better one but I wanted a shotgun to shoot slugs and heard all this good stuff about them but it looks like I got a bad one but O well I can live it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:14 am 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
I got a bad one but O well I can live it.

If you feel you got a bad one and aren't pleased with it, sale it. How much do you want for it? I will give you dealer used price for it which will be less than what one would cost me new. You can also sale it at one of the auction sites. It should sale fast at a fair used gun price because there many out there looking for one.

GC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:50 am 
Limited Edition

MAX100 your right I could always sale it but what is wrong with it I can live with as I don't shoot it that much and have no plans on saling it right now.

Just like any thing not all produced things are 100% all the time I must have gotten a Monday gun but like I said I can live with it. It just make clean the barrel a real chore.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
I could always sale it but what is wrong with it I can live with as I don't shoot it that much and have no plans on saling it right now.

I like mine a lot too and wouldn't think of selling it. I just wanted you to admit it.

GC