CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg Bolt Shotgun (.410, 183D-A)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:08 am 
Field Grade

I have a shotgun that my grandfather gave me when I was a little guy & wanted to know what you guys know about it. I'm hoping to restore it and begin using it...

It's a bolt Mossberg .410 w/ a nice looking stock & a full choke on the end of it.

On the barrel, it has:
O.F. MOSSBERG & SONS, INC.
NEW HAVEN, CONN., U.S.A.
MODEL 183D-A 410 GA 3 INCH
on the barrel

On the end of the barrel where it meets the receiver, there is a "P" with a circle around it.

On the end of the barrel there is a choke (looks factory) that says "MOSSBERG 410F" on it. I'm guessing this is a full choke?

Anyone know where I can get a different choke for it? The safety has a little red "F" for fire. It use to have a little green "S" for safe - but that is now gone. Any idea where I could get another one?

Any information is appreciated. I'm mostly interested in finding out if this choke is factory and if it is - how can I get more chokes for it.

-robert

Post subject: Re: Mossberg Bolt Shotgun (.410, 183D-A)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:11 am 
Field Grade

One more thing... If this choke is in fact removable - how do you get it off? It's got little "ribs" that look like they are meant to help you get a grip to spin it off - but it won't budge w/ my hands only.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:26 am 
Crown Grade

Here's where you can find parts, they do show the green safety tab http://www.e-gunparts.com/products.asp? ... z183DA&MC=

but it appears that full is the only choke available. And yes, it is factory. You might be able to get a couple of more tubes and send them to be expanded...

the choke probably just needs soaked good with solvent to loosen it up, probably been there since the '40's

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:28 am 
Field Grade

Thanks MarlandS - I appreciate the link. I'll see about getting another choke or two. I'm wanting to clean this thing up and begin using it - just because it was my grandfathers and I have fond memories of lugging this thing around clearing brush with it! ;-)

-robert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:24 pm 
Utility Grade

I have this exact same shot gun also. but I am missing the Red and Green Safety/Fire tags.

I have a few of my own questions, first I was wondering what the value of one of these shotguns are? ( I am wanting to insure it. It was my dads, and then I got it, and I plan on passing it to my son. ) Next, about roughly how old are these shotguns? I know my dad says its over 50yrs old, but he said it was used when he got it, so I would like to know roughly how much older they are.

Thanks in advanced :)