CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Can you shoot slugs with a standard factory barrel?
Yes 96%  96%  [ 54 ]
No 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Are you crazy? 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 56
 Post subject: Shooting slugs with a standar factory (smoothbore) barrel?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:23 pm 
Utility Grade

We are having a debate here at work about the need for a "slug barrel". This is not a debate about, accuracy, distance, etc. Purely a physical perspective, is it safe to shoot slugs from a standard shotgun barrel?

One guy says that the slug barrels are built to withstand the increased force of a slug load, and that if you use a standard barrel, the slugs will basically cause the barrel to "banana peel'. Thus, you have to use a "slug barrel".

I say you can shoot slugs from a standard barrel. Just make sure they are rifled slugs made for smooth bores, and use a cylinder or improved cylinder choke. I shoot remington rifled 12ga. 2 3/4" slugs from my Beneli supernova w/ IC choke, the same barrel I use for waterfowl, turkey, etc.

Post subject: Re: Shooting slugs with a standar factory (smoothbore) barrel?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

I say you are right and he is wrong. If you are using all lead soft fosters, you can even use full choke, but grouping may be terrible.

I took my first two deer of my life with a full length vent rib barrel bead sight 20g winchester 1400 with fosters at 8 yards and 60 yards. Gun was fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

/

Yah. Das Goot. You are right. I shoot slugs from my smootbore Mossberg 500.

As soon as I get my 20 gauge "cylinder" choke, I will be shooting slugs from my new 20 ga Benelli Nova.

/ Yah. Das Goot.

"Hmmm, load first ask later, kinda backards ain't it, sport? Where you been anyway?"--------Curly-Nohair

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:28 pm 
Utility Grade

while I may be new here shotguns have been happening around me for 25 years or so and a smooth bore is all I've ever had so yep perfectly safe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:26 pm 
Limited Edition

SAAMI specs are SAAMI specs, regardless of slug versus shot shells. As a matter of fact, many HOT Turkey loads generate more pressure than standard foster slug loads.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:30 pm 
Utility Grade

MThompson wrote:
We are having a debate here at work about the need for a "slug barrel". This is not a debate about, accuracy, distance, etc. Purely a physical perspective, is it safe to shoot slugs from a standard shotgun barrel?

One guy says that the slug barrels are built to withstand the increased force of a slug load, and that if you use a standard barrel, the slugs will basically cause the barrel to "banana peel'. Thus, you have to use a "slug barrel".

I say you can shoot slugs from a standard barrel. Just make sure they are rifled slugs made for smooth bores, and use a cylinder or improved cylinder choke. I shoot Remington rifled 12ga. 2 3/4" slugs from my Beneli supernova w/ IC choke, the same barrel I use for waterfowl, turkey, etc.

I agree. I shoot rifled slugs in my Smooth Bore Remington 870 with no issues. Well, except for a very sore and bruised shoulder. Ha Ha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:37 am 
Field Grade

When mom still deer hunted she shot an old 20 ga Winchester pump with a modified 24 or 26 inch barrell ca't remember and a red dot scope throwing 2/34 rem sluggers. Gun still going strong I've loaned it out a few times for nephews starting to deer hunt.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Your friend would only be correct about barrel damage if he were to shoot a full bore solid, heat treated slug such as as a Dixie slug through a choked smooth bore with a tight choke constriction --- then, yes, he would split the end of his barrel almost for sure. Regular slugs don't present any such problem.

In addition even then the problem wouldn't result for the reason he says. I would be more like pounding an axe head into a crack in a board where the axe head was wider then the crack. Same thing would happen with a full bore hardened slug through a tight choke.

Post subject: Re: Shooting slugs with a standar factory (smoothbore) barre
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:51 am 
Field Grade

When I was growing up, my dad shot slugs through his 20ga. browning semi auto with a smooth barrel. That shot gun is 62 years old, and you would be hard pressed by looking that it was brand new. No barrel damage and thousands and thousands of shot shells and several deer and target slugs shot. but none the less no barrel damage.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:20 am 
Utility Grade

Here we are, 5 years later....I'm still shooting slugs in my smooth bore Benelli.

Only difference, is I've found my gun prefers the Winchester SuperX 2 3/4" rifled slugs. Every year I "sight" it in at 50 yds with the stock beads only, and every year it is less than 2" groups. These are also the cheapest slugs on my local shelves. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've been shooting slugs out of my BPS 22" smoothbore with a rifled choke for years' for pigs I always grab it over my rifled barrel, never had any problems whatsoever, just make sure it is not a full choke barrel!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:29 am 
Tournament Grade

All foster slugs are safe in all ckokes those little fins tha most think are to make it spin are actually so it can squeeze down to a full choke

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

My Dad used a 28" vent rib fixed choke modified barreled 870 Wingmaster with a weaver 2.5x M1 Carbine scope. His 1st deer was a 7-point buck and he still has the antlers. At deer camp a guy was using the same thing except it was an 870 Express with a screw in IC choke with no sights except the bead. Poly-chokes even have slug settings on them. That's what a lot of A5 hunters used back in the day.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:08 pm 
Crown Grade

I have to admit I was really impressed how accurate rifled slugs fired from my 28" Accu Choke were the first time I tried. Even more so when I fired them from my 18.5" bbl. Of course I do also have a fully rifled 24" bbl I use for sabot slugs only. Obviously that's a more accurate bbl that I have taken to 100 yards ranges and beyond, but that doesn't take away from the fact that rifled slugs from a smoothbore bbl are pretty dang accurate. Just remember to keep a choke in no tighter than improved cylinder.

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:59 am 
Utility Grade

Maser wrote:
I have to admit I was really impressed how accurate rifled slugs fired from my 28" Accu Choke were the first time I tried.

The same with my 28" Supernova with just the factory beads....year after year, 50yd groups are almost always touching and dead center on the target.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

Here's a 3 shot open sight group at a 50yd. target from a lawnmower's hood with 2 brands of ammo with different weighted slugs. The best part is that these shots are from a .410!