CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carlson choke tubes vs. Kicks
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:11 pm 
Utility Grade

I am looking for an extended, full choke that is capable of firing anything from BBB and smaller steel shot. I am looking at a Carlson Super Steel Choke, and the Kicks High Flyer. The kicks is quite expensive, but has better reviews, and I emailed Carlsons about the Super Steel Choke and he said that it can only fire shot smaller then BBB and less than 1550 fps, I have some 3.5" shells that fire 1660 fps so i guess these are not allowed through that choke. What are your opinions on this? I am in Canada and don't have many sources for these chokes, but Bass Pro says they can send them up here.

Post subject: Re: Carlson choke tubes vs. Kicks
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I like Carlsons have had great sucess with them and they don't break the bank. If you oreder from them get them direct on their website. Shipping is free on orders over a certain amount and you get a free choke tube case.

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:50 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Making choke tubes is not rocket science. I think that Carlson's makes a great product. I several of their chokes that I use for waterfowl and for wild turkeys.

I personally will not shoot large steel shot in any choke tighter than .015 or Light Modified based on what I have seen on paper and experienced in the field.

If you want to shoot long shots (50 yards and over) and use tight chokes, I think that you should not use steel loads.

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers." Aldo Leopold

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:57 am 
Utility Grade

Would Carlsons ship it into Canada? They may not give me free shipping becase I am in Canada

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I do not know the only way to find out is to contact them. I am sure they must have customers outside the US though. Here is their website.

http://www.choketube.com/

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:13 pm 
Utility Grade

thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

Let me know how it goes. I'm in Canada as well and I'm looking at the Kicks high flyer as well. They're $67 US on thier website which is better than the $100 for the Patternmaster (at least for my wallet).

I wonder is Basspro in Toronto has them?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:40 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

My experience with BBB steel shot at 1300 fps or more is that it does not throw good patterns in in tight chokes. I certainly would not spend more money for essentialy the same product based on their claims and hype.

I would buy the Carlson choke that Carlson recommended as best for large steel shot and use the money saved on shooting long shots on clay targets.

If you feel that you are going to be forced to shoot long shots, you probably should shoot HeviShot and use a modified choke.

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers." Aldo Leopold

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:16 pm 
Field Grade

has anybody shot over 1550 FPS? and what would happen if i did shoot say 1625 fps? Thats what I have for duck load and I need some chokes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:44 pm 
Crown Grade

"My experience with BBB steel shot at 1300 fps or more is that it does not throw good patterns in in tight chokes."

That was what I was thinking.

Furthermore, it should pattern pretty tightly. I'm not sure that anything tighter than nominal "Modified" is really warranted -- it should throw "Full" patterns anyway, with big, hard shot. It's even a Sporting Clays trick, to stick in larger steel shot (in that case #6) when you want a tight pattern through an open choke, say, if you have a semiauto that only has one barrel, and you have a double with two very different distances. You put in an open choke, say IC, and you order your shells in the gun to get an IC pattern with #7.5 lead, and an IM pattern with #6 steel, using the same choke. The same should hold true with big shot, if not more so. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:12 am 
Crown Grade

I've had great results with Carlson. They have great customer service also.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What are you wanting, information or agreement? Larger shot - lead, steel, tungsten, you name it - usually patterns tighter with LESS than a super full choke. In my experience this starts around shot size #4 (US). I would think BBB would need at most Improved Modified and probably Modified. Why are you shooting BBB at ducks anyway? I consider that strictly goose medicine.
No way I would pay extra big money for a fancy named choke tube. Shot and ducks can't read. I have gotten excellent results from factory, Carlsons, Trulock, Briley, Colonial and probably some others. Just make sure you use tubes rated for steel if you shoot steel, and I have zero - none - ported tubes of any kind.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:57 am 
Field Grade

I tend to agree with Virginian. Ported tubes don't seem to "reduce recoil" as they are supposed to, but they are VERY LOUD, especially to by standers and others in or to the side of your blind.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:11 am 
Presentation Grade

A lot of guys think if they buy some super spazzo high-flying waterfowl choke they will be able to "shoot farther". And if you read the hype on some choke makers websites I can see why they think that. Thats just not the case. A steel pellet (or lead or whatever) will have the same energy at a given range no matter what choke you use.

The fact is that you just cannot squish steel shot much in a choke. It is hard, and it must go somewhere when the choke gets tight, so the shot string just gets longer. Or you get blown patterns. If the truth were known, I bet a lot of those "full, long range" waterfowl chokes are nothing but renamed IC or MOD chokes.

I have nothing against quality chokes, but don't make the mistake of thinking tighter is better. (tighter is better for some things, but not steel shot chokes)