CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ghost Ring Sights
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:07 am 
Field Grade

Hey operators, been away from the bbs for a few months.

Gonna get started on working a stock Mossy 500A into a HD/Tac unit. I posted a thread here earlier and received great advice. All heeded and most worked unit the unit.

Have a simple (lol) question regarding sights.....

I'm looking to add a ghost ring. Mossberg offers a standard add-on unit, but again has become unavailable. I saw it on their site about a month ago, but failed to order it. Now, you can't find a single kit anywhere. I guess shotgun build-ups are becoming the norm in lite of new/potential big brother legislation.

Anyway....anyone have any thoughts on MMC or LPA set-ups? I know they are roughy double the cost of factory, but maybe it's what-the-hell. I like that the LPA offers tritium on both the rear and front. MMC seems to only have tritium on the front. They both have a banded front, and I figure I can have the gunsmith sweat smooth solder around the edge, similar to sweating copper plumbing. That might keep thing securely in place. The price seems roughly $20-ish or so between the two.

Any thoughts, experience, recommendations?

I'm thinking the night sights might be worthly.

Thanks for input!

I promise to ask more questions about ammo here shortly (LOL)

Thanks again

Post subject: Re: Ghost Ring Sights
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tritium sights on the rear tend to overpower the front due to their proximity. They really aren't needed.

Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool, or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool. - Tactical Response
Embrace your wear marks. - 870Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:52 am 
Limited Edition

Check FireQuest, they sell Mossberg factory GRS. If not I vote for MMC, I've got a pair on my 1100.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:54 pm 
Limited Edition

I really liked the Mossberg GRS for slugs.

They had a woderfull sight picture although at night the sights were hard to pick up.

Here is a pic of the sight picture from Mossberg factory GRS

WASR10 7.62x39
Hi-point 995 9MM
Winchester 1300 12 GA 22 rifle sight
Mossberg 500A 12 GA 18.5 bead sight
Mossberg 500A 12 GA 18.5 GRS
Swiss K-11 7.5x55 Swiss
Savage model 112 .223
Mosin Nagant M44 7.62x54R

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:21 am 
Field Grade

FMD, as I think about it, you're correct. Those bright dots in my face would not work good.

Axfoster, I did not find anything on that site. Thank you for the input, though.

EBK, thanks for the input. But what is that red dot at the front site?

Thank you gentlemen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:52 am 
Limited Edition

Batt501 wrote:
FMD, as I think about it, you're correct. Those bright dots in my face would not work good.

Axfoster, I did not find anything on that site. Thank you for the input, though.

EBK, thanks for the input. But what is that red dot at the front site?

Thank you gentlemen

Its a bright orange paint that comes on the factory front sight makes it real easy to pick up in dim light but it does not help for low light.

WASR10 7.62x39
Hi-point 995 9MM
Winchester 1300 12 GA 22 rifle sight
Mossberg 500A 12 GA 18.5 bead sight
Mossberg 500A 12 GA 18.5 GRS
Swiss K-11 7.5x55 Swiss
Savage model 112 .223
Mosin Nagant M44 7.62x54R

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:20 am 
Presentation Grade

I would sale the 500 and buy a 590 with GRS new or used if you can find one. You will probably end up putting a lot of money in the 500 when you could have had a 590 for the same cost or less.

GC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

I agree with max100. I bought a 500A, put a ATI stock on it and bought a set of factory ghost ring sights. I have been trying for 2-3 months to find a gunsmith to mount my sights-all to no avail.
the 3 smiths in my area won't touch it and the smiths on here won't even respond to my queries.
so I am going to take a loss and trade it for a 930.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

tgrif wrote:
I agree with max100. I bought a 500A, put a ATI stock on it and bought a set of factory ghost ring sights. I have been trying for 2-3 months to find a gunsmith to mount my sights-all to no avail.
the 3 smiths in my area won't touch it and the smiths on here won't even respond to my queries.

Why wont they do it?

"You will receive power"
Acts 1:8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

don't really know. when I called to ask about getting them installed all 3 said they don't do that kind of work. not much of a gunsmith in my book if they can't handle something that simple.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tgrif, here is dfarriswheel's method of epoxying the front sight on if you have the receiver with the holes already on it.
Quote:
I'd buy some new epoxy.
You can get some really good stuff from Brownell's, or a better brand of "one hour" type from a hardware store will do just fine.

The "trick" is to get the barrel and the sight REALLY clean. Flush and wash with hot soapy water, then soak in Acetone or Lacquer thinner. Then warm with a hair dryer to dry. Leave the parts warm when assembling. Note "warm" NOT HOT.

Next, get as good a mix of the epoxy as you can. You can use a re-loaders scale to weigh the two parts to insure an exact mix.

MIX the two thoroughly. If the instructions say mix for 1 minute, mix for 2.

Apply a coat of wax to the barrel where you DO NOT want epoxy sticking. Shoe wax will do fine.
This works better than a standard release agent and is easy to remove.

Put the assembly in a warm place. Epoxy cures from internally generated heat. A warm sunny, window spot will make it cure faster-better.

Wait until the excess epoxy hardens into a rubber-like consistency, then cut the excess off with a brass or plastic "knife" made from sheet brass or plastic filed to a sharp edge. The wax will prevent it from sticking and you can trim off the excess before it get too hard. This is much neater than trying to wipe still-liquid epoxy off.

http://www.weaponevolution.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:40 am 
Field Grade

tgrif wrote:
I agree with max100. I bought a 500A, put a ATI stock on it and bought a set of factory ghost
ring sights. I have been trying for 2-3 months to find a gunsmith to mount my sights-all to no avail.

OOF! i was fully planning on doing that same thing!

With one exception. I have a 500A, I wanted to mount a front
site and either place another site on the back of the barrel or sliding
it onto my rail. Feasible?

Sol: What the f@&*$ is that?
Vinny: Heh heh. This is a shotgun, Sol.
Sol: It's a f@&*$ing anti-aircraft gun, Vincent.
Vinny: Well I wanna raise some pulses, don't I?
Sol: You'll raise Hell. Never mind pulses.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:41 am 
Tournament Grade

thanks m24. I guess I will have to do it myself :( or just trade the damn thing.
I would never have thought it was going to be this difficult to get them mounted.
doesn't speak very well for the gunsmithing community or mossberg for making something that is so hard to mount.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Grif:
I know you've had probs with your smith but if you get the front mounted if you wanted to be more secure you might be able to get your smith to put a roll pin or screw through the base of the sight and into the base of the bead.

Gloves:
You really don't want to put a sight on the handguard.

http://www.weaponevolution.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

m24shooter, thanks for the input and help. I mounted my GRS over the weekend.
I had installed a Big Dot bead previously so I planned to leave it in place and mount the blade sight over it. I first had to remove the washer that was used with the Big Dot and then I used Red loctite to secure the Big Dot in place. I also had to file the top of the Big Dot flat which allowed the blade sight to sit securely down on the barrel. Then I used a 1/16" drill bit to drill thru the front of the blade sight and into the Big Dot bead to facilitate putting a steel pin in. I used a loctite brand epoxy designed for metal to metal. after roughing up the area where the front sight would sit on the barrel and masking the area with shoe wax , I proceeded to epoxy the blade sight into place and insert the 1/16" steel pin thru the sight and bead. I let it cure for 24 hours, cleaned everything up and can't wait to go the range.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

HMMMM. I wonder if I could use my little beed on my Mossberg to help anchor a GR front site? Is there a hollow based front sight? or one that could be drilled? You can't even see the beed when looking straight across the receiver on my 500. I really want ghost ring sights on my Mossberg 500.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:57 am 
Tournament Grade

this is the Big Dot and there is plenty of room under the blade sight for it. all I had to do was file the top down some to allow the blade sight to sit flush on the barrel.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

here is what my front sight looks like. the color on the blade is distorted by the flash:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

this is looking down the barrel thru the sights.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:50 pm 
Utility Grade

tgrif wrote:

I had this same problem getting the ghost ring sights mounted on my 500. I eventually took it to the gunsmith at the local Gander Mountain store. They said they could do it, but not at the store. They sent my barrel out somewhere to have the front sight mounted and then the barrel refinished. They had my barrel for almost two months and charged me $170 to mount the thing! I only paid $300 for the whole gun! I was not happy. Oh well, lesson learned. I'm never going back to them again.