CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FN SLP
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

I am thinking of getting a FN SLP. What do you guys know about them?

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firea ... id=FNM0018

Post subject: Re: FN SLP
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have one and love it. Great shotgun all around. I can't see you being disappointed with it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

If you don't mind me asking, what did yours cost?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

They are very well made and the fit, finish & stock is nicer than the 930 SPX. The 930 is a copy of the FN SLP which makes them very similar.

The SLP looks like it has a tube extension but it doesn't. It has a one piece mag with metal sleeve that fits over it.

They are basically a $750 shotgun selling for over a thousand. Well made but over priced in my opinion. When they mover their operation to SC "dealer cost" on them increase by about $200, which is about $930 now. That's why they going for over a $1000.

GC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:30 am 
Tournament Grade

They are certainly similar in appearance to the Mossy but to my knowledge their internal operation is entirely different. To that end, it probably isn't the best comparison to use. I would suggest looking at them in comparison to Winchester Super X2 and X3 as well as Brownings as that is the operating system that they are based on. At that price point, they are very comparable. I actually purchased a gas ring to shoot ultra light loads that was designed for the Browning Gold and it works perfectly. Add in the fact that you can now do barrel changes with this shotgun and you have a much more versatile platform than is often found in the shotgun world.

In regard to price, yes they have come up in recent years but so has everything else. In addition, I have not heard of any problems in the manufacturing process like those that seem to have come up repeatedly with the Mossy 930 SPX. Quality control costs money, and that may go a long way towards explaining the difference in price in combination with what I feel is a smoother and more reliable operating system than the Mossy.

I should note that I am completely in the tank for this particular shotgun. I am at a thousand rounds now roughly and have not had a single malfunction. I should also mention that it is a bit like an AR in that it can be a money pit. :) Since I have purchased it I have replaced the ghost ring and front sights with tritium inserts, added a nordic extended bolt handle and bolt release button, tapered off the fore grip a bit to make reloading easier, and put on a side saddle. All told I am over a $1000 at this point with the add ons. I bought it in 2006 when it did cost significantly less than it does now.

I am a person who does not mind spending a bit more for what I personally perceive to be higher quality. With all of my guns I would rather save a little longer and buy exactly what I want rather than what I can afford at that time. I do not make great money by any stretch so I try to avoid buyers remorse by making sure that I know exactly what I want and do my research so that I know how to properly judge quality.

That's just me, as always my opinion is probably worth exactly what you paid for it. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

From what I know they are great shotguns.

http://www.weaponevolution.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:02 am 
Field Grade

As most everyone else has replied, they are a great shotgun. I bought mine just over a year ago from Tanners and paid $749. I only have 350 rounds through it but it has been flawless with everything from Field load birdshot to full power federal Vital shok 00 buck. Very nicely made and a joy to own and shoot.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

chazmo wrote:
As most everyone else has replied, they are a great shotgun. I bought mine just over a year ago from Tanners and paid $749. I only have 350 rounds through it but it has been flawless with everything from Field load birdshot to full power federal Vital shok 00 buck. Very nicely made and a joy to own and shoot.

If it is the same one I linked to, that is lower than current dealer cost.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:42 pm 
Utility Grade

Here's a link to a review of the SLP Mark 1, 22" bbl.

http://www.gunblast.com/FN-SLP.htm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

I believe Tanner was getting a special deal. FN was offering a promotion deal. When you buy certain number of guns, 10 or so, you get one free. He would then average the cost of 11 guns and do his markup for there. That's why he was able to under cut every dealer on retail price, smart.

Quote:
They are certainly similar in appearance to the Mossy but to my knowledge their internal operation is entirely different. To that end, it probably isn't the best comparison to use. I would suggest looking at them in comparison to Winchester Super X2 and X3 as well as Brownings as that is the operating system that they are based on.

930 is a copy and I stated that they are very similar, not the same. If you have ever taken both guns apart you would know what I mean. I believe the Winchester X2 Practical Tactical is made by FN Belgium and is the same as the SLP. The only difference is it has a 2 3/4" chamber.

GC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:37 pm 
Utility Grade

New SLP (18") owner here. Love the gun. I find myself picking it up just to admire it, and it's even more fun to shoot.

One question: Are there any aftermarket stocks out there that will shorten LOP by about an inch? I measured it at 14" from the factory, which I like just fine, but I think if I could get down closer to 13" it would be perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:03 pm 
Field Grade

groovinpickle wrote:
New SLP (18") owner here. Love the gun. I find myself picking it up just to admire it, and it's even more fun to shoot.

One question: Are there any aftermarket stocks out there that will shorten LOP by about an inch? I measured it at 14" from the factory, which I like just fine, but I think if I could get down closer to 13" it would be perfect.

A stock designed for the Remington 870 can be made to fit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

I know a dealer who is selling them NIB for $800.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

I believe that the FN SLP also won the Golden Bullseye award for best shotgun from the NRA. Something to consider as well...