CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Shotgun for around $1000.00
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:23 pm 
Utility Grade

I am new to the world of O/U's and would like to purchase a good valued gun for around $1000, used for hunting and some clay work. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Post subject: Re: New Shotgun for around $1000.00
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

www.gunbroker.com Try this, you're bound to find something that you like. -Matt Latham

In school? In your home? In your town?
Would you just turn around?

Volunteer Fire/EMS - Join NOW!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:18 pm 
Crown Grade

You might consider a used Citori, but I know there is just something about a new gun. You can finds hundreds of opinions on this subject, i.e. Ruger, Verona, Stoeger, etc.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

FORGET THE CITORIE, A Franchi Alchione is a quality o/u and is right at your price range..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:10 pm 
Ruger! Ruger! Ruger!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Another vote for the Citori! :) They are excellent quality guns. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

Franchi, because Brownings are too exspensive and are just as good. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

another vote for ruger but also check out some used berettas

Aaron

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

NOOOOO Franchi good enough and owned by Berreta

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:35 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Go to a local range and ask to shoot several different makes and models. Buy the one you like best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:47 am 
Tournament Grade

I was in a similar position just a couple of months ago. Here's my two cents:

First and foremost, don't just get people's opinion on a "good" gun. Find one that fits you, feels right, and if you can test it - shoots well for you. I recently sold a Citori at a $500 loss because I never shot it well. It most certainly was a very high quality gun, but the model I had didn't work for me. I'm already shooting my new, much less expensive gun far better (used to always shoot 23-25 with my pump, couldn't break a 20 with my Citori, have yet to fall below 20 with my new O/U in the 5 rounds I've shot so far).

Used guns are CERTAINLY an option. There are some good guns out there but you have to know how to determine reasonable wear and tear. See if you can get it to a gunsmith before purchasing it. Also, the added benefit of a used gun is that you may be able to shoot it prior to purchasing, ensuring the gun is a good fit.

The Franchi and Verona guns are decent enough at that price range, however my opinion is that the Winchester Supreme gives you way more bang for your buck. You won't hear a lot about the Winchester line as they just started making O/U's a few years ago. However, they are owned by the same holding company as Browning, and are manufactured by the same company in Belgum as the Citori's used to be before the Citori's moved to Japan. I purchased a Winchester Supreme Sporting Clays, and I couldn't be happier! Once again, just because it offers more for the money, that doesn't mean the gun is going to fit you.

Lastly, and again this is just my opinion, look VERY carefully at the Ruger Red Label before choosing this gun. It appears to me that the allowable range of error in production of this gun is way more liberal than any other brand out there. When I was looking for a new gun, it's the only brand for which I found a highly visible manufacturing defect, and I didn't find it on just one gun, but on 3 guns in the months prior to my final purchase.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy!

P.S. My Supreme was $950 retail but I got 5% off for applying for a Gander Mountain credit card.

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Last edited by Timmer on Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:07 am 
Diamond Grade

I'd look hard and long for a Citori in acceptable condition. One of the things you -really- want is the Invector chokes, though. Unless you're going to shoot skeet with it and the gun's already SK/SK. Even then you'll have more flexibility with the Invector.

My Citori's got more abuse... looks like it was owned by Hellboy before I got it. Still works.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:18 am 
Utility Grade

I would like to thank everyone for their opinions, I think this should help me with making a decision. I did look at the Winchester Supreme at Gander Mtn. I didn't read alot about them does anyone have any news about them. The gun fit well and semmed solid I would like to hear alittle more about it. I also liked the Frianchi Alcione at that price range. Both fit about the same.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:57 am 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Timmer;

Not to be a know-it-all, but Winchester did not just start making O/Us a few years ago. Ever hear of a 101?? Been arround for a while. They have indeed been out of the O/U market for a while and in the past few years re-entered it with the Supreme line. That line does indeed seem to be expanding. Actually in between the 101 and current models there was a 1001 too. Yes the new Supreme and Select, etc., etc. are new introduction shotguns, but O/Us are not new to Winchester.

BP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

Burnt powder, thanks for providing further information. I was merely offering information that I had learned in researching NEWER guns. I would expect the old Winchester o/u's cannot be compared to the new ones as Winchester had left the o/u market.

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:38 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Timmer;

Can't be compared?? I do it all the time!! :shock:

Maybe that reflects a difference in generations?? I seem to gravitate towards more of the older classic firearms rather than the new ones. If I was interested in a shotgun, and I was a few weeks ago, I considered used 101s, used Brownings, used Berettas and new ones of the same manufacturers on the same playing field. I never discount a used gun when considering an additional gun purchase. I don't automaticaly assume someone is just talking about new guns, and that is probably because I lived through those years when 101s, Superposed, Model 12s, and such were the NEW guns and I wanted them then and couldn't afford them. Now I can, or at least think I can, so they still automaticaly come to my mind. I did look at the New Winchester Supreme Select Sporting a few weeks back before I bought my NEW Beretta. Honestly, I probably would have bought one if I had either wanted a 12 ga or they had made it in 20 ga. I wanted a 20. Looks to me like Winchester is again in the O/U business!! Nice shotguns. Maybe even beter than what I remember the 101s being?? :roll:

BP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

Burnt, you and I are going to need our own website!

1. When I said that the old Winchester O/U's couldn't be compared to the new one's I wasn't saying you couldn't physically pick them up and compare them. I was noting it would be unwise to suggest whether the new O/U's were good or bad based on the quality of the old models. I will make a mental note for future posts that I have to be very literal. Perhaps I'll space my letters further apart as well so slow readers can catch up.

2. If you read my original post, I most certainly wasn't dismissing used guns.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'll 2nd what Burnt Powder said. I had shot 1100's for skeet until about 1975 when I bought a new Winchester 101 Pigeon with Purbaugh small gauge tubes. They were and are great guns and can be had at reasonable prices. I sold it years later and bought a used K-80 tube set, but I still run into the "new" owner of my 101 from time to time. He replaced the tubes with Kolar's quite a few years ago, but that gun is still going strong and breaking 1000's of skeet targets every year. There's plenty of these older guns out there that still have alot of 100 straight's left in them. Find a nice, well cared for gun and give it a new home.

Mark

A Sailor's Creed - "If you can't tie good knots, tie lots of 'em.”

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:56 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Timmer;

I guess if you want to get real literal and space you'r words farther appart... for us s l ooooooo w w w readers.

C I T O R I s never were made in Belgum.

The Superposed was made in Belgum. When the Browning line was moved from Belgum to Miroku in Japan the new gun was named
C I T O R I.
Not that it makes an iota of difference to me.

:wink:

BP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:28 am 
Timmer,

Your original advice was sound advice. Don't let old Burnt get under your skin. He gets that way once in a while.