CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Building Trap Houses
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:35 am 
Field Grade

Our Club has a spare Win-Western trap and we want to build a CHEAP trap house. Anybody seen an above ground trap house? The roof would have to fold or slide to load the machine. Looking for ideas.

Thanks,

Bill

Post subject: Re: Building Trap Houses
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:40 am 
Tournament Grade

Aside from bunker trap setups, I've only seen above ground trap houses, so it must be possible. Frankly, it's never occurred to me to have them buried underground.

As for plans, sorry, I'm no help there. The only trap range near me is entirely privately run, so my only contribution is to occasionally spread some lead around.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, I have shot on fields with the trap house and trap above ground. Most have hinged tops to load the traps (automatics). Keep in mind, they will not pass ATA requirements or inspection, the target comes out over foot too high. This making the field non-typical.

maltzie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

reluctant wrote:
Aside from bunker trap setups, I've only seen above ground trap houses...

Are you talking about Trap houses that look like this?
Half of this house is under ground. You just can't see it unless you go around to the front.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yup, Rastoff, that's exactly what I'm used to seeing. I don't know how big a trap machine is, so I just assumed that it was above ground. I guess I am used to seeing them below ground after all. Thanks for the correction!

Last edited by reluctant on Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:51 am 
Field Grade

We have 2 trap houses like that one but we used pressure treated plywood instead of blocks, stands up to frost better. We have a drainage problem and have to run a 100 foot ditch to drain the house. Looking for a cheaper practice trap setup. I am thinking a weather proof box that just tips backwards to uncover the trap. The box would protect the trap from a low shot.

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

Where I shoot we have a trap mounted above ground and the shooting stations are elevated to compensate for it. Works for us.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

I don't know why folks automatically think "above grade" when they think of a cheap trap house. Moving small quantities of soil is one of the cheapest aspects of the construction process.

Do you have access to reasonably priced railroad ties, or other treated timbers? Want a cheap traphouse that looks regulation? Get a shovel and a chainsaw and start to work: Excavate as req'd; lay down a gravel base; build up the three walls to the required height, add a lintel across the opening; and finally a roof.

Instead of casting a concrete foundation for the trap machine, lay down cross ties at the appropriate location (for your machine's anchor points) and lap them into the base course of the perimeter ties. Place ballast (add more gravel up to the top of the cross ties in the floor) and back-fill to establish finish grade.

As a Calif licensed architect, I'm including the following CYA:
The above meets the requirements for exemption b.1 of §5536.22, Architects Practice Act, Business and Professions Code, Chapter 3, Division 3.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Oh I see, you want us to actually do some work! Dude, we don't want to work. We just want instant gratification! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:00 am 
Limited Edition

Rastoff wrote:
Oh I see, you want us to actually do some work! Dude, we don't want to work. We just want instant gratification! :wink:

It's the American way! :P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:49 am 
Field Grade

Read my post above. 100 feet of drainage ditch will double the cost of the house. We are not affluent and always do the work ourselves, but we have to hire a backhoe (our soil is NOT sand) and buy cement. By the way, gravel will not keep the frost from caving in the sides of the house....you need cement....bought any lately? We have 2 regulation trap houses, >$1000 each for excavation and material (we did the labor).

Thanks to the guys who were constructive! We have a plan; trap set on treated posts 40 inches into the ground (frost), trap covered by a 3 sided box that is removable, 4th side (the back) remains for protection against a low shot. We can make it regulation by elevating the shooting stations (much easier than digging holes, DUH). We already have portable skeet houses built on skids.

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:04 am 
Limited Edition

Bill-

Don't take the above posts as directed at you. I think Rastoff was having a little fun, directed at nobody. I just egged it along a little, in jest.

Notice the smilies?

As for elevating the shooting stations versus digging... you've still got materials and labor in that, unless maybe you are shooting off of a bank. Digging a hole the size of the bottom half of a trap house isn't a huge deal (and can be done for "free", if the soil isn't all rock).

Can you maybe entice a local excavator to dig it in exchange for free shooting? Then you are only out the cost of the birds (minus any potential profit built in to a "full priced" round), and can stretch the "cost" out over as long as it takes him to shoot up his designated number of rounds.

Either way, have fun with your project. No matter how you slice it, it's a variety of materials versus labor, in one form or another.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:24 pm 
Field Grade

My skin was thin this morning, :) We have a soil problem, 4 inches of top soil and 14 feet of hardpan (clay and shale). Dig a hole and it fills up with water (reason for the 100 ft ditch). Digging is a major cost in western NY. I am just looking for a way to get this trap out of our storage room and into use with the least amount of expense....... and work for the 3 guys that do all the work. You know those 3 guys, some clubs actually have 4, :twisted: or so I am told.

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yeah, I was just poking a little fun at zippy13's post.

I've dug my share of holes and I know how hard it can be. Drainage is a major issue and if not taken care of properly, will ruin the whole project at the first decent rain. The soil here is so hard we land the largest airplanes the AF has right on the dirt of the lake bed. That includes the first two space shuttle landings. I've bent a couple of pick axes trying to break through the first foot or so of dirt in my back yard. Yes, I understand digging difficulties.