CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: e3
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey experts,

I shoot alot of lite skeet loads and have been thinking about switching from IMR 700X to Alliant e3. No particular reason other than than the fact that i have heard from some fellow reloaders that e3 is even more efficiant and clean burning. Can anyone confirm, deny or care to comment?

Post subject: Re: e3
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:31 pm 

Efficient? Depends

Run both of them thru this calculator

http://10xshooters.com/calculators/Shot ... adingCost/

Make sure that you use data from recipes that give the same velocity and use similar costing other components, and the same shot load.

I don't give a hoot about sanitary or not powders.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

I shoot e3 in a 1 ounce sporting clays load. It burns clean, even in cold weather, something I didn't get with clays international. Can't add much more than that, but I do like it.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:24 pm 
Limited Edition

I suggest you read these....

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=211995

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=199717

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=198134

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=206197

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=212345

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:14 am 
Crown Grade

Much like a lot of the Alliant powders, it doesn't meter quite as well as the Hodgdon's products, and there have been inter-lot changes in the last few years.

But the advantages of this powder (e3) far-far outweigh the above, and very much worth the extra cost on a number of fronts (3 major ones). Efficiency (you do use a lot less). Consistency, CLEANlyness (yes, to some of us, this has value, be it in O/U's, *or* Auto's), and temperature stability.

I honestly can't prioritize these because (at least for ME), they are ALL very important to me. Probably the best 12-gauge 3/4 oz powder I've used to date (and everyone KNOWS how unstable 3/4 oz loads can be, especially in the cold).

If you want the piece of mind of knowing that your Standard deviation chrono figures are as low as they can possibly be (powder selection wise), then this is your powder.

O/U or not, you WILL come to appreciate the 'clean factor' once you start doing high volume target work, and if you happen to have a gas operated auto loader, you will soon see my point quicker than you know.

Buy the e3, and don't look back. Period.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

[quote="Republican"]Much like a lot of the Alliant powders, it doesn't meter quite as well as the Hodgdon's products.
quote]

e3 meters extremely well. I have a powder baffle on my mec and my drops are within 1/2 a grain. But that is with my sizemaster, I still do not know what my new mec 9000 will do, but I think it will be better due to powder dropping on every stroke instead of every 7 strokes.

I haven't used anything except Alliant, they are American made, Hodgon is not.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:54 am 
Crown Grade

lab_man wrote:
e3 meters extremely well.

lab_man wrote:
my drops are within 1/2 a grain.

lab_man wrote:
I haven't used anything except Alliant,

Well, then you wouldn't really know any better then, now would you? (.5 != extremely well)

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:54 am 
Tournament Grade

That is +/- 0.2 tenths of a grain.

Remember, this is a shotgun shell we are reloading, not the main fuel tank for the space shuttle! If +/- 0.2 tenths of a grain is not good enough then you need to find a different hobby.

You only partially quoted my relpy to you. I said a half a grain, (+/- 0.2) with a sizemaster (that is a single stage reloader). I just purchased a progressive reloader which will vary less due to reduced vibration beacuse there is a powder drop every cycle instead of every 7th.

Republican, this was not meant to be personal attack, try not to be so defensive. I am not a Democrat. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:02 am 
Diamond Grade

I have been a big fan of e3 for several years now. I use it for 7/8oz Sporting Clays loads. It works well at all temperatures we have in Michigan, clean burning and meters well.

Plus it's American Made.

Can't ask for more than that...

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Republican wrote:
Well, then you wouldn't really know any better then, now would you? (.5 != extremely well)

Well, he may not but I do. Red Dot, Green Dot, Promo, Clay Dot, e3; all of these Alliant manufactured powders meter well, (+/- .1gr), certainly equal to any of powders Hodgdons Distributes. Hodgdons has no control over what they buy and repackage. The marking hype of Clays metering better is just that, marketing hype. Metering is miss understood and relates to handling, unrelated to the actual powder, for the most part. I have seen two jugs of clays with density differences exceeding anything seen with Promo. How the powder is stored and handled makes a big difference.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:24 pm 
Field Grade

I started my 12 g reloading 30 some years ago with Red Dot, and some Green Dot. I didn't make a change until recently. I tried Promo. In practice for winter league, is was unreliable (poor ignition, poofy sounding shots) below about 30 degrees. I went back to red dot. I am looking forward to trying e3 in my winter loads this comming year.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:59 pm 
Utility Grade

I like me some e3. Autoloader cleans up easier...

I get +/- .2 grains with a Lee Load All.

Rem Gun Club (black)
Win209
16.5g
CB 4100
1oz. 7 1/2