CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Gold Evolve
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:31 pm 
Field Grade

Hey all. I have the chance to buy a Browning Evolve. I really like the looks of the gun, as I have a cynergy and they look similar. I'm wondering though, if the gun will cycle lighter loads. I reload 7/8 oz. 1250 fps 2 3/4 shells. I really like that load and would prefer not to change it. Will it cycle? Also, are these guns similar to the SX2 or SX3? As an alternative, I have the option of picking up a beretta 391 urika trap. Which do you think I should go with?

391:$800
Gold Evolve: 650

Thoughts? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Browning Gold Evolve
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hi JP,

The Beretta 391 will certainly handle the light loads you listed.

I have an 3" SX3 and it will cycle 7/8oz loads all day long, even 3/4oz skeet loads without difficulty. The Browning Evolve should do the same. Any chance to try before you buy? Another plus for the Browning is that both the Evolve and the Cynergy run Invector Plus chokes thus doubling your choke choices.

The bottom line is though, as always, buy the one that fits the best. There is no better choice than that decided by gun fit.

Good Luck & Good Shooting

P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:49 pm 

The Evolve should cycle your loads. They are very similar to the Winchester SX2/SX3 with the carrier being different between the two. The two piece carrier on the Evolve facilatites the spped load feature. The Evolve has a different safety button shape as is their receivers, forearms, ribs, and stocks.

The AL391 is a very good model as well. The trap model is set up for that intended use.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:56 am 
Diamond Grade

I can only speak for the Beretta. I own an AL 391 Trap Optima. My reloads are from 1 oz. feather weights to 1 1/8 oz. super handicap or super s/c loads. They cycle fine. If I scaled back to 7/8 oz. I don't see where I would have issues. The low recoil on the Beretta is impressive but, recoil is not an issue with me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:24 am 
Presentation Grade

I say go with the Evolve. It has a tinge more modern style than the beretta offerings.

Will cycle anything.

P.s. Thanks worc... :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

I think the Browning Gold Evolve also has an aluminum alloy magazine tube. It makes it a bit lighter, but alters the swing quite a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

The Beretta Trap will be set-up for trap. Slightly longer LOP, higher rib, MC parallel stock, shim adjustable. If it's for all around use why would you want a trap gun. Are your loads for Trap doubles and handicap? Just curious how you are using the gun.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:07 am 
Field Grade

Spankey wrote:
The Beretta Trap will be set-up for trap. Slightly longer LOP, higher rib, MC parallel stock, shim adjustable. If it's for all around use why would you want a trap gun. Are your loads for Trap doubles and handicap? Just curious how you are using the gun.

That is a good point. I mostly shoot skeet. I tried the gun on saturday. Barrels were too long, a bit heavy, cheek stock a bit high, just overall not a good fit for me. I normally shoot my 26" bbl cynergy. I hear a lot of mixed reviews regarding the remington 1100. Any opinions on them? or can someone recommend an under 7 lb. reliable semi auto that will cycle 7/8 oz. loads? Thanks all for you help on this

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:24 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

jphaxx wrote:
or can someone recommend an under 7 lb. reliable semi auto that will cycle 7/8 oz. loads? Thanks all for you help on this

There are many, but in Illinois they are called "20 gauges."

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:31 am 
Tournament Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
jphaxx wrote:
or can someone recommend an under 7 lb. reliable semi auto that will cycle 7/8 oz. loads? Thanks all for you help on this

:lol:

Dang, I wish I'd said that...

Thank you for the chuckle......

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Quote:
can someone recommend an under 7 lb. reliable semi auto that will cycle 7/8 oz. loads?

My Benelli Supersport is the most reliable auto I have seen with the lightest loads I have tried. I have a friend who loads 3/4 oz, and they are flawless in this gun.

"Confidence breeds success breeds confidence, etc." - The secret of mojo!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:18 am 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
jphaxx wrote:

Ha! In California, it's about to be called illegal. j/k. I hate this state. Anyways, I would get a 20 gauge, but all my other guns are 12 gauge, and I would probably have to buy a new reloading press to load 20. So i prefer not go with a 20 gauge right now