CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what's difference between Hevi-shot and hevi-metal shells?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:21 pm 
Waterfowl Expert

I recently saw an advertisement in Macks Prairie wings Catalog listing these to types of shells by same manufacturer. the Hevi-shot comes in 10 packs at about $230/100 for 3inch. the hevi-metal are $200/250 shells for 3 inch and comes in 25 shell per box. there is a big difference in price!!

Post subject: Re: what's difference between Hevi-shot and hevi-metal shells?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That's because there is a big difference in the shot inside the shells. Hevi-Shot is now a whole line of shells, and Environmetal uses very UNclear advertising. Not all Hevi-Shot is as heavy as it was, and Hevi Metal is even lighter. Better do some research before parting with your hard earned coin anymore. I think the "Goose" loads are still 12 or 13 gm/cubic centimeter in density. Lead alloyed for hardness is like 10.8.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:02 pm 
Waterfowl Expert

From Environmetals website: answer to my question!!

Q: What is the density of the new HEVI-Metal™ shot? What is it made of? Is it harder or softer than steel?

A: The HEVI-Metal™ shotshell uses large steel shot and ballistically equivalent high-density pellets made from our own patented tungsten alloys. The density of the high-density tungsten pellets varies to match the ballistic performance of each size of steel shot in each of the different shells. Generally, the smaller the steel shot, the denser we have to make our HEVI-Metal™ pellets to compensate.

The high-density pellets are ballistic twins to the large steel pellets in each shell. But the high-density pellets are smaller diameter and slightly lighter, so more of them fit into a shotshell of a given charge weight. That’s where you see the huge advantage from HEVI-Metal™ shotshells: more lethal pellets in the same charge weight, leading to 20% or more additional lethal pellets on target at 40 yards than any steel shotshell on the market. You get the same range you get from large steel pellets, but you fill in the blanks on your target for more clean kills.

The high-density pellets are a bit harder than steel, for better penetration. And they have the normal HEVI-Shot® shapes for extreme lethality.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That sounds like 100% extreme pure marketing to me. It's made with plain old steel shot to make it cheaper, and they still don't say what the density of those "High Density" pellets really is. As long as the density is greater than steel, not necessarily lead, it's easy to make a smaller pellet "ballistically equivalent".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:28 am 
Presentation Grade

I liked the Hevi-steel. They should have made it in #5 shot though.
Why they have decided to go the Dual pellet Hevi-metal route is not clear to me.
I will be involved in some testing on Hevi-metal on waterfowl real shortly.
Will use them on teal also, and maybe between the two can get some idea of its performance.

This maybe a good example of shooting at pattern paper and not getting the whole story. If both pellets behave in the same manner down range, then their claims will be true, more pellets on target. But if pellets do not react the same, then this will be a bust.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My understanding of the hevi-metal shells is that its basically a duplexed load of normal steel and hevi-shot. As for what version of the hevi shot they put in them - that's anyones guess. I would assume its the hevi shot duck version.

RSI has published a few loads for hand loaders for sometime now that duplex larger size steel and smaller sized hevi shot.

I am the NRA, and I vote

"In the eyes of a tyrant, the patriot is a terrorist.." - DCx2