CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 870 Express + grip
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:27 pm 
Utility Grade

hi all, just joined up.

I doubt this is even possible but I figured I'd ask. I've got an 870 Express with a dark wood finish...
http://www.remington.com/images/product ... %5D_sm.jpg

I'm wondering if I could buy a buttstock/pistol grip stock for not too much green...but I'm wondering if anyone has seen the dark wood stock with either a wood pistol grip or a synthetic pistol grip that somewhat matches the stock I've got? I love pistol grips, and I'm just trying to make my 870 Express look a little more tactical... :?

Post subject: Re: Remington 870 Express + grip
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:39 pm 
Field Grade

Never seen a wood pistol grip (for an 870). Don't think such a thing exists. Only option is Butler Creek or Knoxx, and those are synth.

And just so you know, that gun you provided a pic for has the express laminated stock. It's not real wood. A lot of gun guys refer to it as "plywood". That doesn't mean it is any les durable or desirable than real wood. I actually think it lools better than plain grained real wood.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:53 pm 
Utility Grade

Flat Gun wrote:
Never seen a wood pistol grip (for an 870). Don't think such a thing exists. Only option is Butler Creek or Knoxx, and those are synth.

And just so you know, that gun you provided a pic for has the express laminated stock. It's not real wood. A lot of gun guys refer to it as "plywood". That doesn't mean it is any les durable or desirable than real wood. I actually think it lools better than plain grained real wood.

It's not? Dang....
With those two that you said...do you mean I can get a wood stock with a synthetic pistol grip? Or Id have to get a full synthetic?

Also, if I can find a matching foregrip to go with the buttstock/pistol grip I'll buy it...as long as it's a good price and it looks good on the 870.

Also how common are these kind of stocks with a pistol grip on it? I like the idea of the shotgun shells being this handy...

Last edited by MstWntd on Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

Flat Gun wrote:

Yes, it is real wood. Laminated stocks are milled from wood sheets that are cut thin and then the sheets are laminated making it much stronger than your average stock cut from a single slab of wood.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:45 pm 
Field Grade

Mr_Mac wrote:
Flat Gun wrote:

Yes, it is real wood. Laminated stocks are milled from wood sheets that are cut thin and then the sheets are laminated making it much stronger than your average stock cut from a single slab of wood.

Actually, it's not even true "laminate", or "plywood" (for stocks), if you want to get technical. It's pressed sawdust, with different stains thrown in. I guess you could say it is "wood" (40%), but it's more fillers and binders (60%).

Not that it's a bad stock, that's what I was trying to say from the beginning.

For the set http://www.cactustactical.com/osc/speedfeed-iii-remington-870-tactical-stock-forearm-set-p-1460.html

Or here http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SHT400-1.html

If you want cheap check gunbroker, but you get what you pay for.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've oten wondered about that. You might talk the guys at nouglyguns.com into something custom or get a blank and DIY.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:10 pm 
Utility Grade

Flat Gun wrote:
Mr_Mac wrote:
Flat Gun wrote:

Actually, it's not even true "laminate", or "plywood" (for stocks), if you want to get technical. It's pressed sawdust, with different stains thrown in. I guess you could say it is "wood" (40%), but it's more fillers and binders (60%).

Not that it's a bad stock, that's what I was trying to say from the beginning.

For the set http://www.cactustactical.com/osc/speedfeed-iii-remington-870-tactical-stock-forearm-set-p-1460.html

Or here http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SHT400-1.html

If you want cheap check gunbroker, but you get what you pay for.

Thank you kind sir!
80 seems good, I was figuring something like 200, so this is a relief!
How hard is it to switch the foreend in and out from the wood to the Speedfeed? I think the stock is just a couple of screws...
Really like the way that looks and works...just wonder if I will still be able to use the pistol grip with duck hunting...which is why I may want to swap out of needed.
Is Cactus Tact a good place to buy from?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Unscrew the butpad (phillips) then the stock bolt (flat bit) and the butstock comes right off. There is a special tool to remove the nut on the forend. I just used a stout flat bit and some extra oomph but YMMV.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:58 pm 
Utility Grade

liljake82 wrote:
Unscrew the butpad (phillips) then the stock bolt (flat bit) and the butstock comes right off. There is a special tool to remove the nut on the forend. I just used a stout flat bit and some extra oomph but YMMV.

I heard a spanner wrench does the job on their reviews on cheaperthandirt. Im really digging this...some people are saying there are minor things that are screwed up, like some discoloring, the recoil pad not being aligned right...I'm reading this and getting worried:
Quote:
A great product and well worth the money once fitted, however I had to work a bit to make it fit my Mossberg 500: 1)The provided mounting screw was *barely* long enough (I could only get one and a half threads in the gun, without any washer… not a good idea). Solution: get yourself a 9/16 spade bit and a cordless drill to bore the hole a little further towards the gun, problem solved. Also, my kit did not come with a washer and the OEM washer was too wide… so I had to purchase a new lock-washer for a couple of cents. 2)The OEM sling attachment point (a screw with an eyelet on the end), when unscrewed from my old stock and screwed into the new one, protruded up into the bottom mag-tube of the stock, thus making it unusable. Solution: leave it out or get a hacksaw and shorten screw by about half. 3)Once the stock was mounted, I found that I could no longer drop the trigger assembly out of the gun (the first step in disassembly… rather important). Solution: remove the stock every time you disassemble the gun, don’t disassemble the gun, or (what I did) carefully grind plastic away from a few key points until the trigger assembly clears the stock easily. 4)Finally, there were a few rough edges inside the mag-tubes that caused the followers to hang up occasionally. Solution: get some sandpaper or a file and smooth the rough edges. As with most ‘drop-in’ products, the stock did *technically* fit out of the box… but expect to spend a little time adjusting it to your application if you want it to work well.

I know hes' talking about a Mossy 500, but I hope I don't run into the same problems with my 870.

I'm eager to get this...just reading up on some of these reviews makes me cautious.

Aside from that I'm not sure how that would work with me being lefty (lefty 870) and the left side of the mag tube being lower...does anyone think it'll hit my arm when I shoot...or my wrist?

Edit: Grr this is killing me...I'm finding some pics where the mag tube on the right side is higher, and others where it's lower...a video I watched showed the left side lower and the right higher...