CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vihtavuori shotshell reloading
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:38 pm 
Utility Grade

I am looking for reloading data for vihtavouri powder.Has anyone tried it?

Post subject: Re: Vihtavuori shotshell reloading
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:31 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

jay-461 wrote:
I am looking for reloading data for vihtavouri powder.Has anyone tried it?

Sorry Jay, None exists. I called Kaltron Pettibone in Bensenville Il., the importer of VihtaVuori powders, and they verified that they had no shotshell data. They had previously sent me their Reloading Guide, but there's no shotshell data in it.

They do have powders in the correct burning rates to accomodate shotshell reloading, according to the burn rate charts, but there simply isn't any data available at this time. ( I checked earlier this year). To load any of it would strictly be going into uncharted waters.

DLM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:10 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks, that what I had found out but wanted to check and be sure.I thought maybe someone had worked up a load.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Is that an Italian made powder?

/

"Hmmm, load first ask later, kinda backards ain't it, sport? Where you been anyway?"--------Curly-Nohair

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:52 am 
Utility Grade

FINLAND

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:34 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Outstanding powder!

I thought that way back when VV was still an unknown here in the States, I had a data booklet that did have some shotgun data in it, but danged if I can find it! I'm sure there was a very limited amount of data, but at the time I had no interest in loading any of it in shotguns. I was working up loads for my varmint and wildcat rifles. However; this would not be the first time I was mistaken. IF I ever find that booklet again, and IF there is some shotgun data, I'll let you know. I'm just sure there was just a little bit of data. Maybe it was in the hard bound VV data book my friend has?

Indeed shotgun load data is in short supply, too bad too, VV is outstanding powder!

BP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:39 pm 

oy

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

I can understand if you happened to have several pounds of the stuff laying about, but why would anyone want to research into obscure components when better (or at least suitable and easier) components are so readily available?

jay-461, I'm not saying this to attack you at all, but I can't understand why people would want to force themselves off of the beaten track. Moreover, how do companies like this stay in business? Is Vihtavuori a mainstay in pistol handloading?

(Now don't get me wrong. I can understand wanting to hike the Continental Divide or climbing Mt. Everest, but this seems more like taking three left turns instead of one right turn or going from New York to Chicago, with a layover in Los Angeles. Wait, I think I did that once.... :( )

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:28 pm 
Crown Grade

lymans has some limted loads listed, 4th edition.

sometimes you hit homeruns buying powder for nothing. 10 bucks beats 110 everytime. sometimes it might be fertizler.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:39 pm 
Utility Grade

I use thier rifle powder in my 264 mag and my 7mm STW and it preforms best of any other powder that I have tried.I would think it would also preform as well in shotshell loads. JAY

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:10 am 
Diamond Grade

I don't have any shotshell load for this powder, but Lyman's REALLY got me mad with listing this and a couple of other IMPOSSIBLE to find powders in their last metallic handbook. Maybe better, but if the locals don't carry it, you only need a pound or two a year, so ordering online isn't cost effective, you see where I'm going?

That book gathers dust while I just use the previous edition.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:39 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Bust'em wrote:
lymans has some limted loads listed, 4th edition.

sometimes you hit homeruns buying powder for nothing. 10 bucks beats 110 everytime. sometimes it might be fertizler.

Bust'em
Those Lyman book loads on VihtaVuori aren't going to do you much good unless you have some pretty old powder. The powder designations of N3SL, and N3SM, and N3SH, are no longer used by VihtaVouri, and there's no conversion table anywhere to be found that will convert the old numbers to the new numbers.

Just another dead end street.

DLM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:46 am 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

reluctant,

I'm sorry you feel that way about the VV powders. Obviously you've not done any work with them i.e. load development in both rifle and handgun. I have, extensively! There are some mighty fine powders available in the market today, but none better than VV. I've got I think at last count 6 different numbers of VV powder. Considering how well it perform in rifle and handgun applications for us serious load development types it is just a natural follow up to want to give it a try in shotguns.

If you do not have VV powder available in your area, it's your bad luck!

Why VV, well 4250fps with Nosler 40 gr BT and 1/2" groups with a Ruger 77VT .22-250 is about as good of reason as I can think of. Slightly larger groups in an old Sako Deuce with 50 gr V Max and Sierra 50 gr bullets, 3/4" groups with 225 gr bullets in my 35 Whelen, 75 gr A Max at 3650 and 1/2" groups with my proprietary grossly overbore .224 varmint rifle, much like a .22 Mach II. Sub 1/2" groups in both of my .22 BRs with 50 gr Nosler and Sierra bullet at just over 3600 fps.

Those are just a few of the reasons that come to mind as to why I'd be interested in trying their powders in shotgun loads! Oh, yes, the 8# jug of N-140 that I bought a few years back for $82 has something to do with it. Oh, I forgot, my .17Mach IV Contender. Yes, I do like VV powders.

BP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

/

I found some free copies of the VIHTAVUORI "reloading guide for centerfire cartridges" at Shootin Shop South in the Southern Metro Denver. Their customer service phone # is:

358- 6 - 4310 - 111 ...and indeed, I am very interested in their powders. I've seen people write of them in.....(mumble mumble....other forums).......and stuff.

/ After all......
Quote:
oy----Curly-NoHair

I think we should pursue some specific Shotshell Load information on them.

/

"Hmmm, load first ask later, kinda backards ain't it, sport? Where you been anyway?"--------Curly-Nohair

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

Burnt Powder wrote:
reluctant,

I'm sorry you feel that way about the VV powders. Obviously you've not done any work with them i.e. load development in both rifle and handgun.

That is spot on. I haven't done any development work on any load. I generally leave things like that to my betters.

And for the rest of your post, thank you. That is exactly the sort of information that I was looking for. It's unlikely that I'll ever load metallic rounds, but if someone should ever ask me, I'll have a better idea of where to point them.

I realize that this is outside the scope of this forum, but how do you determine what makes a better metallic reloading powder? Is it accuracy or precision? Both? Cleaner burning?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:13 pm 
Utility Grade

For me it is accuracy and performance in all type weather.Jay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:13 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Consistency, accuracy and non-excessive chamber pressures with the primary goal accuracy.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

You'd be amazed at how much just changing powders does for that in some situations. Unless you try, you never know.

Indeed I have shot thousands of rounds over a chronograph and in groups on paper over the years.

VV, Hodgdon, Winchester, IMR, Accurate, and Alliant all have very good accurate powders. Not all of them in all my rifles, but I've never had one that didn't like one number of VV or other. The Reloader series of powders is also very, very good in most all applications. I'd be hard pressed to rate one over the other.

Hodgdon 322, H-4831, AA 2015-Br, AA 2200, IMR 4198, 4064, 7828, H-414/WW 760, H-335 are some of my most favorite ones.

Oh, this is a shotgun reloading forum isn't it! :roll:

BP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:16 pm 

Burnt Powder wrote:
reluctant,

I'm sorry you feel that way about the VV powders. Obviously you've not done any work with them i.e. load development in both rifle and handgun. I have, extensively! There are some mighty fine powders available in the market today, but none better than VV. I've got I think at last count 6 different numbers of VV powder. Considering how well it perform in rifle and handgun applications for us serious load development types it is just a natural follow up to want to give it a try in shotguns.

If you do not have VV powder available in your area, it's your bad luck!

Why VV, well 4250fps with Nosler 40 gr BT and 1/2" groups with a Ruger 77VT .22-250 is about as good of reason as I can think of. Slightly larger groups in an old Sako Deuce with 50 gr V Max and Sierra 50 gr bullets, 3/4" groups with 225 gr bullets in my 35 Whelen, 75 gr A Max at 3650 and 1/2" groups with my proprietary grossly overbore .224 varmint rifle, much like a .22 Mach II. Sub 1/2" groups in both of my .22 BRs with 50 gr Nosler and Sierra bullet at just over 3600 fps.

Those are just a few of the reasons that come to mind as to why I'd be interested in trying their powders in shotgun loads! Oh, yes, the 8# jug of N-140 that I bought a few years back for $82 has something to do with it. Oh, I forgot, my .17Mach IV Contender. Yes, I do like VV powders.

BP
Yes, but what are your credentials? :wink:

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:34 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Curly said: "Yes, but what are your credentials"?

Curly, you had better be nice to BP. He might be an Engineer too!! No use gettin' him all stirred up. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:09 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

D L,

You and Curly know full well what my credentials are! I used to be a big fan of Cracker Jacks! :wink:

BP