CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rio ammo question
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

Got a question about two types of Rio shells. Hopefully some of the clay/skeet shooters will chime in as well.

Looking to purchase a bulk load of shells for friends to be used for dove hunting and I've narrowed the choices down to: Star Team 32 (ST32) and Super Game 32 (SG32). Both are same load, etc. However, the ST32 is 1300 pfs. The SG32 is 1280 fps. Also, the ST32 is more expensive (about $5 more a flat).

It would seem that the SG32 game load would fit best for dove since they are designed for game birds, but one of my friends said the Star Team 32 is the best all-around shell.

Anyone have the scoop?

jed

Post subject: Re: Rio ammo question
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Use the cheapest thing you can find for doves....it doesn't take much to bring one down.

In Argentina , I have dropped a whole pile of them w/ cheap (I repeat cheap) all plastic loads --no brass nor metal base.

Doves will fall if you do your part.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

Agree with Sera.
Go with the cheapest.
And 20 fps difference between these two will not matter in the least.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:06 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I feel the same way, those are 32 gram/1 1/8 oz aren't they??? No way I'd be shooting that heavy a load either. :roll:

I can't remember what they're called but RIO has some 28 gram at something like 1250 fps, that would be closer to my choice---------with 7 1/2's.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

I agree, Dove are easy to kill, I'd say the Star Team is a lot of shell for Doves, however I have had to go back to the truck and get a flat of AA Super Sports too, so to each his own.
They(dove) ain't worth the high dollar shells until you don't have anything cheap to shoot at 'em! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

Let me re-phrase my question:

Does anyone know the exact difference between the two types of shells I mentioned (other than the published information such as dram, fps)? I know there's a powder and pellet difference (not shot load). Just wondering if Rio experts were out there.

thanks, jed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Give these guys a try. Nice to deal with and great prices!

http://cacassociatesinc.com/gpage.html

The Best Things in Life are NOT Things!!!
It isn't about the past, it isn't about the future. It is about the ride!

KRIEGHOFF K-80 PLANTATION GRADE
KRIEGHOFF K-80 SUPER SCROLL
PURE GOLD SPORTING CHOKES

NSCA 546619

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:25 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

jed1894 wrote:
Does anyone know the exact difference between the two types of shells I mentioned (other than the published information such as dram, fps)? I know there's a powder and pellet difference (not shot load).

I don't have either of these in my cut apart samples and since the last I had any RIO's, they may have changed components so I'd hate to give false info.

At one time the UEE/RIO game shells had 2-3% antimony shot, target loads supposedly 4-5%, but I never cut any open that I would have considered being 5%. Doesn't really matter, there isn't going to be enough difference in those shells (except recoil) to matter----as long as they have the same wad which I would guess they do.

I even read right here once upon a time, that some RIO rep had told this guy that low brass shells in their lineup had 4-5%, high brass had 2-3%, I have no idea if that's correct or not. My opinion is-------NOT!!!

Here's all the info I know about being published by UEE
http://www.rioammo.com/index.htm

But I'll offer this one last time, if you choose either of those, you're going to not care a whole lot about how many birds you're getting to shoot at before the end of the day----if that's all you have. They're gonna get your attention!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

TexasTon wrote:
jed1894 wrote:
Does anyone know the exact difference between the two types of shells I mentioned (other than the published information such as dram, fps)? I know there's a powder and pellet difference (not shot load).

I don't have either of these in my cut apart samples and since the last I had any RIO's, they may have changed components so I'd hate to give false info.

At one time the UEE/RIO game shells had 2-3% antimony shot, target loads supposedly 4-5%, but I never cut any open that I would have considered being 5%. Doesn't really matter, there isn't going to be enough difference in those shells (except recoil) to matter----as long as they have the same wad which I would guess they do.

I even read right here once upon a time, that some RIO rep had told this guy that low brass shells in their lineup had 4-5%, high brass had 2-3%, I have no idea if that's correct or not. My opinion is-------NOT!!!

Here's all the info I know about being published by UEE
http://www.rioammo.com/index.htm

But I'll offer this one last time, if you choose either of those, you're going to not care a whole lot about how many birds you're getting to shoot at before the end of the day----if that's all you have. They're gonna get your attention!

Thanks Steve. I'm ordering a bulk load (100 flats) through a Rio dealer for several guys I hunt with. They made the choice of shells; I'm just interested in the choice they made. I personally shoot the 1200 fps version (target load 32). The guys are split between the two I mentioned above. Since I'm ordering, I wanted to get as much information for them as possible so they'll be happy. .... thanks again. jed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Rio are goos shell. Just go cheap they will work.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

You're going to be shooting so many birds - I would go with a 1 oz load around 1200 fps / 8's or 7 1/2's are probably plenty.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:29 pm 

RIO has always performed well for me both in clay shooting and hunting situations. Hardly a better round out there for the money.

Amassing a stockpile of shotshells

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:26 pm 
Utility Grade

I have shot thousands of rounds of the Rio TS28's. I have to say they are my favorite shell. 1 oz., 1280fps. I have just started using the Kemen Kemex 28's (only because I couldnt find the Rio's) and they seem to be a great shell as well. About the same price as the Rio's too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:52 am 
Tournament Grade

I believe the difference is the Star Teams use "Star shot" a harder more round shot. Is it worth $0.02/shell more, I don't know. Is it worth saving $500 on the order, i'd say yes!

When I do shoot Rio's, I use the Star Team 1 oz 1300 fps load in 7 1/2's, and love it. I would agree with your friend, the Star Teams are considered a better load, less of a promo or field load.