CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Turkey shoot??
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:39 am 
Crown Grade

Okay, I'll be the first to post:

What is the definition of a "turkey shoot"?

I like to play the trap games e.g. chip shoots, Annie Oakleys, buddy shoots, etc.
Are those considered "turkey shoots"???

We don't actually shoot live turkeys, but we did decades ago.....

Post subject: Re: Turkey shoot??
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Turkey Shoots are usually held locally and may also be called Ham Shoots, or whatever kind of merchandise is given away. You pay your money, and take 1 shot using a shotgun at a card that has an X on it or some kind of similar target. Usually 10 shooters are involved, and each has their card. The closest shot to the X wins the ham or turkey or whatever they are giving away.
There are a lot of variations to the game such as shotguns and shells furnished with no outside guns or shells brought in. Some events may base the win on the highest number of shot within a circle, etc, distance to the target may vary and other rules.
The other "Turkey Shoot" talked about on these forums is the big Turkey Shoot Sporting Clays event held annually at The Meadows National Gun Club near Forsyth, GA and it benefits the National Wild Turkey Federation.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:44 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
My club's "turkey shoot" is called that because turkeys are the prizes. We shoot 10-bird trap matches where the post one shooter icks the yardage and also card matches.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

My sister won the local turkey shoot. It was a luck shot. But the turkey prize from the VFW was real nice!

"You will receive power"
Acts 1:8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:16 am 
Limited Edition

In Ky., we call refer to trap games as Turkey Shoots. Some of our games are: Bushwhacker, Killer, 5-Across, Buddy Match, 3-Long, 3 Buddy, etc........................

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello, this is my first post in this forum and I have a question. I have been shooting at my local turkey shot for about the last 12 years and have recently bought a new gun. I was shooting a Mossberg 835 that I got for my 16th birthday 18 years ago. Now I am shooting a Mossberg 535 turkey tactical and not having any luck. We are shooting 95ft with 7.5 Winchester shot gun shells. I am using a xx-full choke(.660) and would like to change my choke but with so many on the market advice is what I need so any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:41 am 
Field Grade

Hi Turkey Tac. I know little as I only attended my first turkey/ card shoot last month. I've been shooting for decades but never went to one of these before. My club's "turkey shoots" included trap games and card shooting, with turkeys/hams being prizes. During the card shoots, No.4's, No.6's, and No.7 1/2's are used. The "regulars" were switchimg tubes for each shot size, and when I asked I learned that for 7 1/2 the tube sizes ran from .642 to .650 IIRC.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:18 pm 
Limited Edition

we have a good turkey shoot here. 12 people per round, every so often a kids round. the kids all win trophies. they give away turkeys, hams, sausages, cornish hens, usually a few times they will raise the round to 5 dollars a shot and the winner gets a bushel of oysters. there is another big round that costs 5 dollars, whoever wins each night goes to the final round on the last week and they prize is usually something big. last year it was a tree stand.

besides the turkey shoot, they have a post with a light on it and a square foot piece of sheet metal with a hole drilled in it just big enough for a pellet to get through. you pay 2 bucks a shot and if you break the light, you win half the money in the pot. people go for this all night so the pot usually gets pretty big. ive never done this actually but my brother has came home with 50+ dollar prizes before.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

Just got my vest and looking forward to the fall turkey hunt. In Pennsylvania the turkeys are coming back pretty strong last few years.
Getting nice Toms is getting better.
Its no fish in a barrel. They are wary like deer.

"You will receive power"
Acts 1:8

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:08 pm 
Field Grade

yea in my neck of the woods we have 14 shooters per shoot and use reload 8shot. $5 you can win $50, $10 you can win $100. Beer, Guns, Marksmanship, Gambling, Good People...thats a turkey shoot.

JR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:49 am 
Limited Edition

I have often heard or seen written that trap and other shooting sports are not good spectator events. IMO, Trap games or Turkey Shoots are the exception. The favorite game at our club is "Killer". It is fun to participate and fun to watch.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:48 pm 
Field Grade

I entered an oddball contest (they called it a 'tukey shoot' but the prize was a package of beef) It was at a target shooting match at 100 yards with rifles, various classes. Then they offered a match shooting a 'running deer', a deer target on a cable on pulleys. Everyone shot their target rifles, and NO ONE hit the running deer except me, using my target rifle, like the others, but instead of using the scope, I used a point method of sighting, like a trap shooter, and I won the thing because I had barely nicked the outer edge of the paper the target was mounted on. I had the nearest thing to a hit, and won the prize.
We all learned a valuable lesson--gigantic scopes help target shooters a little but they are near useless in hitting a running animal. I will use a M-94 30-30 with iron sights if I ever get another chance at that contest.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:50 pm 
Field Grade

labwild wrote:
The favorite game at our club is "Killer". It is fun to participate and fun to watch.

How do they do this 'Killer' game?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

Quote:
During the card shoots, No.4's, No.6's, and No.7 1/2's are used. The "regulars" were switching tubes for each shot size, and when I asked I learned that for 7 1/2 the tube sizes ran from .642 to .650 IIRC.

This is pretty much what I hear. I also hear that most shooters would rather shoot #8's or #9's.

These shoots happen at distances from 50' to 100'+. Usually 60', 75', or 90' though.

The longer the distance, the more challenging it is to blow a hole in the center of the target.

I myself would like to compete in some shoots, but only against stock guns using screw-in chokes. That way, anyone can afford to play the game.

Favorite Chokes for 870:
Factory SK, Carlson's Mod, Primos XFull, Indian Creek .675, Indian Creek .665, Rhino .660

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:56 pm 
Utility Grade

At my club we shoot every sunday :D we shoot at 50 yards closest to the X wins $$ ,we also shoot slug rounds , i have wone both but latly i seem to be in a dry spell :oops: it's an awesome time with good people , and YES im ADDICTED but i can quit anytime :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Some people call them still board shoots.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I tried a Turkey shoot at a local western MD Club and showed up with my Guerini and my full chokes. Most guys had stuff like in this picture.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/iS ... l6ob7R2ZWg

I went home.

NSSA Level 1 Skeet Instructor
NRA Certified RSO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:23 pm 
Utility Grade

Yeah that is a serious card shooting gun. Does anyone know of any shoots in Indiana that are going on this time of year?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:05 pm 
Utility Grade

here in Northern Ky most guy's use rem 1100 or rem 870 i myself take a old red letter 37 and my wing master 30" full choke from the MFG has been a great gun for the turkey shoots but the old 37 has won a lot more money it is also a 30" full choke i have never checked the bore on it but the last time they checked it at the turkey shoot they told me it was real close to being e legal.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

Where are the card matches shot at that you go to RDO? I'm not too far from northern KY. The Win. 37 has a tighter 2 3/4 chamber and longer choke than the Rem. 1100 or 870. That's why it shoots a better pattern. The Rem. model 31 is a good card match shotgun, as is the Win. models 12 and 1200. Good tight 2 3/4 chambers and long full chokes in the barrels of those model shotguns.