CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Franchi Veloce SP World Class O/U
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:07 pm 
Field Grade

I've searched and searched. With all the high priced Berettas and Guerinis for sale,
I just don't understand the lack of availability of the Franch Veloce World class series?

What gives? Most Franchi dealers are also Benelli and Beretta dealers, so I just don't get it?

At 5.5 lbs. in 20 gauge and AAA wood, one would think they would be in side by side competition?

Anyone have a REAL answer. Yeah, I know. We all have opinions and theories.

But I'd like a REAL answer! What about it Franchi dealers? What the hell is going on here?

Regards,

D.K.

Post subject: Re: Franchi Veloce SP World Class O/U
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:35 pm 
Limited Edition

The Veloce is a good gun, though perhaps hard-kicking in 20 ga due to it's light weight. I've always found the 28 ga tempting, but it's a poor fit for me.

I think the answer to your question lies in the brand. Franchi makes good guns, but the line as a whole is perceived as lower-valued than Beretta or Guerini, so expensive Franchis seem misplaced. For instance, the World Class Veloce is priced like an upper end Silver Pigeon, yet the SP is merely the middle (or even lower-middle) of the Beretta line.

It's a bit like the failed $95,000 Volkswagen Phaeton... a fine car, but at that price folks buy Benzes and such.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:30 pm 
Field Grade

jfon wrote:
The Veloce is a good gun, though perhaps hard-kicking in 20 ga due to it's light weight. I've always found the 28 ga tempting, but it's a poor fit for me.

I think the answer to your question lies in the brand. Franchi makes good guns, but the line as a whole is perceived as lower-valued than Beretta or Guerini, so expensive Franchis seem misplaced. For instance, the World Class Veloce is priced like an upper end Silver Pigeon, yet the SP is merely the middle (or even lower-middle) of the Beretta line.

It's a bit like the failed $95,000 Volkswagen Phaeton... a fine car, but at that price folks buy Benzes and such.

Thanks for the thoughtful answer. And it's a good one. At least it makes sense to me.
That said, however, doesn't change the fact the Berettas weigh much more!

I suppose it would be cheaper to just buy a Guerini Magnus Light than hire a gun bearer!
Beretta needs to make a legitimate lightweight. Not everyone shoots trap or skeet all day. Some of us actually carry our guns hours at a time and many of us aging boomers prefer very lightweight guns for that task. I'm not at all recoil sensitive and prefer recoil to carrying all that unwanted weight!

Thanks,
D.K.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:56 pm 
Limited Edition

Actually, Beretta's are lighter than Beretta wants anyone to know. Their literature used to list the same weight for all their field O/U's, whether a 12 ga or a baby frame 28... and I think the weight was generally that of the 12ga.

I was surprised how light the first 20 ga Beretta 686 I hefted felt, though good balance may have played a part in thus impression. I have a scaled 28 ga 687 and though I haven't weighed it, it feels to weigh smack between two other guns I have... a 6 1/4 lb Browning and a 5 1/2 lb Parker Repro. The 20 ga Beretta frame is barely larger, so I think it wouldn't weigh much over 6 lbs.

Still, a Veloce would clearly be lighter, no question. Good luck in your quest.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:02 pm 
Field Grade

jfon wrote:
Actually, Beretta's are lighter than Beretta wants anyone to know. Their literature used to list the same weight for all their field O/U's, whether a 12 ga or a baby frame 28... and I think the weight was generally that of the 12ga.

I was surprised how light the first 20 ga Beretta 686 I hefted felt, though good balance may have played a part in thus impression. I have a scaled 28 ga 687 and though I haven't weighed it, it feels to weigh smack between two other guns I have... a 6 1/4 lb Browning and a 5 1/2 lb Parker Repro. The 20 ga Beretta frame is barely larger, so I think it wouldn't weigh much over 6 lbs.

Still, a Veloce would clearly be lighter, no question. Good luck in your quest.

Thanks for the help.

D.K.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:20 pm 
Crown Grade

jfon wrote:

That said it all.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

It's tough to beat the Beretta 686 White Onyx field and sporting models. They are great guns for the money!!

NSCA #636379
Pure Gold Ultra Series Chokes

Home Club:
Upland Valley Sporting Clays
Carrollton, Ohio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:25 am 
Diamond Grade

:D :D

Hi:

Get the Veloce and never look back! They are great guns!

Leomat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I bought the Franchi Veloce two barrel set in 20&28ga several years ago. When my youngest son, 40, expressed an interest in quail hunting I gifted it to him for that Christmas of 2006. We have shot together several times, he using the Franchi. It has been a light reliable shotgun and he enjoys particularly the 28ga barrel for quail.
I thought that it was a tad light in 20ga for my taste, felt recoil, but ideal in 28ga. for quail here in the south.
All in all a really nice gun for the money.

Best...John