CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Manhattan Arms Co. Side by Side Shotgun
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:59 pm 
Utility Grade

Manhattan Arms Co. Shotgun
I looked in archives, to the best of my limited ability, and found nothing directly related to my question. I apologize if I'm going over old ground. A friend inherited a dble barrelled shotgun with exposed hammers from her dad. It says "Manhattan Arms Co. on it, and on top of the barrels it says "The Climax Laminated Steel." It's pretty elaborately engraved on the reciever and appears to be silver, or some other rust proof white metal. It's obviously quite old, but I can't find it in any books. It's 12 gauge, and the whole thing is heavy, maybe 10 pounds or more.
Again, I'm not sure I'm doing this correctly, my apologies if I've blundered.

Post subject: Re: Manhattan Arms Co. Side by Side Shotgun
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:18 pm 
Crown Grade

See http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=113164

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:14 pm 
Crown Grade

You have what I call a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. That is a shotgun made by a major maker for and sold by a wholesaler or retailer who chose the name to go on the gun.Guns with the name Manhatten Double or Manhatten Arms Nitro Powder Superior Quality were made by the Hunter Arms Co of Fulton,NY ((1890 to 1945) for and were sold by Schoverling,Daley & Gates of New York City a wholesale sporting goods dealer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

Here is a Hunter Arms Fulton Manhattan Arms

but certainly would not be marked "The Climax Laminated Steel" suggesting Belgain manufacture. "Climax" was a trade named used by Louis Muller. As Ned posted previously, Manhattan Arms Co guns were also made by Neumann Feres.
Look for Belgian proof marks on the barrel flats.

Put your trust in God; but mind to keep your powder dry! Oliver Cromwell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:49 pm 
Crown Grade

SD&G used that Manhatten Arms Co. name on guns from a variety of sources over a period of many years. At one time my Father owned a nice Birmingham boxlock Damascus barrel 10-gauge that was marked Manhatten Arms Co.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:07 pm 
Crown Grade

There really was a Manhattan Fire Arms Manufacturing company and you can check it out at http://www.manhattanfirearms.com/ The company specialized in pistols, but go to the site, and click on FAQ and you will see their explanation about the shotguns with a similar name. Interesting stuff!