CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Savage 755A
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:43 am 
Crown Grade

I would like everyone's opinion on this model. It has the long recoil action, aluminum receiver, and the receiver is rounded, not square like a 720 or 745. I don't care about price since I already have decided what I am willing to pay. I'm just looking for reliability experiences, and if you think it would be a workable choice for pheasants and ocassional clays. I won't be shooting steel through it.

Post subject: Re: Savage 755A
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I owned one that was probably unfired when I got it. What a nice old pawn shop special!!! I lost it in a trading spree that involved two other old guns being traded for a Citori, and the pawn shop I traded it to still has it, about three years later, unsold (as of last week).

I did shoot my 755A. It wasn't anything but a Savage made version of an Auto Five with an aluminum receiver. Some,,,,very few,,,parts might even interchange. Mine functioned one hundred per cent, but I didn't shoot it more than a few hundred shots.

Expect it to be as reliable as an Auto Five, which was the very best. Don't expect it to be durable as a target gun,,,,burning through thousands of rounds a year,,,due to the aluminum reciever, and frankly it's not likely that anybody has ever made a copy of anything, to sell for less money, that's better made than the original.

If you break anything major, the gun isn't worth fixing, and parts are likely to be a problem anyway. But, nothing major is likely to break, it's a nice light hunting gun,,,so have fun. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:18 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

The alloy receviers on the gun had som problems with cracking.

Super-X, is a Browning A5 barrel the same as the barrel and interchangeable with the Savage M755? I never tried to swap them and doubt that they are interchangable but in the Shotgun General area, someone said that they are interchangable. :?:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I read that about swapping A-5 barrels but not R-11 barrels, too. And, I don't doubt that aluminum recievers can crack. Aluminum is a wonderful thing for making Airstream or Avion travel trailers, solid cast aluminum car wheels, and beer cans. I don't consider it a fit thing for use anywhere in a shotgun, but I've been outvoted about all that. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:29 am 
Crown Grade

Oh, like in the receivers of the entire Benelli line?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

Isn't the 755 a steel receiver? The 775 is Aluminum?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You know, I think that's right. Mine was a 775, I think. It certainly was aluminum.

Aluminum is used in shotguns for three reasons. The first is that it's easy to machine. The second is that it doesn't rust. The third is that a good measure of the public wants a lighter shotgun, and aluminum is an easy way to lop off some weight.

Aluminum isn't ever found in a fine gun,,,,unless the maker caves in to the part of the market that wants a lighter gun.

Aluminum looks pretty well like aluminum no matter what you do to it. A skillful maker can hard anodize it so that it looks all right when it's brand new. But, the slightest stratch is forever, it can't be re-anodized outside a large factory, and although the best grades of aluminum may be stronger than the lower grades of steel,,,,the good quality steel used in fine guns just knocks aluminum down the creek as far as strength. Besides,,,John Moses Browing didn't work in aluminum and plastic. He worked in blued steel and fine walnut. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:17 am 
Diamond Grade

He didn't have Aluminum or Plastic so he used BRASS!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Much better looking but still soft and weak :roll:.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:16 pm 
Crown Grade

Well, I bought the gun, so I get to find out what they're like first hand! It is in unbelievable condition (judging by the pictures). They claim over 90%, and unless there's a hidden problem, I believe them. Can't wait to get it home.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:35 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Let us know if an A5 barrel will work. I'd really like to know.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:08 pm 
Crown Grade

It'll be a while till I get my hands on it, but I will be sure to let you know, as I have a friend that shoots an A5.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

IIRC the A-5 barrels won't fit but the remington 11 will.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:03 am 
Crown Grade

Picked up the 755A last night. It is in over 95% cond. as advertised! It has a steel receiver and trigger guard assembly, verified with extensive magnet testing. It is fairly heavy. I don't believe it has ever been cleaned, and has no wear anywhere. The blueing isn't even worn off the slides on the barrel where it slides back and forth in the receiver, and those grooves have all blueing, also. I believe it has only been fired a very limited number of times...I'm cleaning it, and after switching the friction assembly to the "heavy" setting will be firing it today. I don't see how any gun that was shot even a little could be kept in this condition for over 50 years, but I'm a happy camper! So far I think it was a good place to spend $180.00 :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:18 am 
Crown Grade

You did well. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:54 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Bye the way, both the M755 (191949-58) & the M775(1950-65) had alloy recevers as did the M745(1940-49).

While J.M. Browning did not work in alloy for his shotguns, Val Browning, his son designed the Browning Double Automatic, a two shot, and produced the gun with both steel and aluminum receivers from 1952 until 1971. Also, the A5 Superlightweight was made with an alloy receiver but that was long after John Moses Browning was out of the picture.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:39 pm 
Crown Grade

It's obvious you are not going to believe me, and I don't really care, but mine is steel, with a jeweled bolt.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'm not sure what A5 is saying but I have seen the Stevens with both steel and alloy receivers. I believe you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My Savage Auto Five was aluminum,,,but I've handled some steel ones. I don't know what they were numbered.

I've seen them with two different "humps" as well. Some of them looked more like A5's, and some were rounded off more like an 11-48.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:09 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I pulled out some old Savage catalogs and the M755A had a steel receiver and does not look like an A5 but has a more streamlined receiver. This gun was also offered with an alloy receiver.

Could you post a picture of the gun?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:57 am 
Crown Grade

I wish I could post a picture, but I don't have a camera or the know-how. Just an old prairiebilly shotgunaholic, counting down the 11 days till the pheasant opener. :wink: