CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Federal flight control buckshot
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:27 pm 
Field Grade

So I've read a few things about the Federal flight control version of shells all of which have been great. However, most reviews I've read have been with them fired from a short barrel as in 18" or 21" or something short like that.

Since I'm planning on using them for deer hunting not home defense and I have a 30" barrel most of those tests are irrelevant to me as I don't care how they pattern at 7 or 10 yards.

I was at Dicks today and saw some. First ones I've seen. Anyway, I picked up a box of the 3" 00 buckshot ones with the flight control. Are these decent? Are they something that patterns better than regular buckshot in most guns or are they something you just have to see how they do in your particular gun?

I'm planning on shooting them through a Remington 1100 with a 30" barrel that has a full choke. It patterns pretty decently with the Winchester 00 buckshot in the value packs from Wal-Mart. Will these flight control ones pattern better or is it something you just really have to test?

Not sure when I will get a chance to test it again.

What kind of pattern can I expect at 40-50 yards? Are these good enough to kill deer at that range?

Post subject: Re: Federal flight control buckshot
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

My first question is, did you experience sub-standard performance for the standard "00" buckshot loads? If not, why change? They have been in use for many years and have delivered the kills. Has the superior marketing skills of the manufacturer gotten between you ears and into your wallet?

Too often we see manufactures come out with "New" or "New and Improved" to capture a larger market share or give them reason to charge a little more (increase profit). Shooting a deer with buckshot is not rocket sceince, and ammo manufacturers try to turn it into just that, to justify so called improved technology and thus demand higher prices.

I may be all wrong on this one, but beware of new inovations. It's funny that they never use all their technology and inovative capabilities to produce good products at lower cost to the shooters. It is always to justify a higher price tag.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:41 am 
Field Grade

Well, I've never been impressed with buckshot. I've never gotten to to pattern like I want. I'd like to have a decent pattern at 40 yards or so. Instead I seem to have 1 or 2 pellets hit a 8" target if I'm lucky. If I could get a lot better than that I'd be happy. However, if it it's not any better I guess I will have to stick to regular buckshot like I've been using. Up close from like 10-15 yards regular buckshot always seems to pattern great for me. Much past that and it starts not doing so great.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:39 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

hometheaterman wrote:
Well, I've never been impressed with buckshot. I've never gotten to to pattern like I want. I'd like to have a decent pattern at 40 yards or so. Instead I seem to have 1 or 2 pellets hit a 8" target if I'm lucky. If I could get a lot better than that I'd be happy. However, if it it's not any better I guess I will have to stick to regular buckshot like I've been using. Up close from like 10-15 yards regular buckshot always seems to pattern great for me. Much past that and it starts not doing so great.

Hometheatreman:

Buckshot loads have come a long way. Today there are many gun/choke/load combinations that can saturate the kill zone of a whitetail deer with 00 buckshot at 40 yards. That is why buckshot users have to pattern test shotguns just as carefully as a rifleman sights in his rifle!

The 3" 12 gauge Federal Flite Control 12 pellet 00B load is usually one of the tightest patterning small pellet buckshot loads availale and certainly worth checking out. But remember 00 Buckshot usually runs .325 diameter and weights in at only 52 grains.

If you want the tightest patterning BIG buckshot - The Tri-Ball II buckshot load is available from Dixie Slugs. Three .60 caliber 315 grain balls in a saucer size pattern at 40 yards will put a deer or hog down fast!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

From what I understand you may not get good results using a full choke with FC wads. The Idea behind the FC wad is that it stays with the shot longer and helps keep the pellets together. The tight choke may damage the petals and effect the flight of the wad thus effecting the shot. I actualy shot a steel drum from about 10 yds and had the wad penetrate the steel with the shot. Yeah we rave about patterns being one hole at 10 yds but this also gives you tighter patterns at 30-40yds. Also barrel length doesn't effect pattern so a pattern from an 30in bbl isn't going to be tighter than an 18in bbl w/ the same choke.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:19 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

"Also barrel length doesn't effect pattern so a pattern from an 30in bbl isn't going to be tighter than an 18in bbl w/ the same choke."
liljake82

I must disagree: Muzzle pressure does indeed have an effect on patterns. It is not unusual to see a load that patterns poorly from a short 18-21" barrel turn in stellar patterns with 26-28" barrels, (same load and choke tube). This usually occurs with heavy payload shells that must use slow burning powders.

RMc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:45 am 
Field Grade

It seems like when I had the 870 00 buckshot out of both the 3" and 3.5" ones I tried never patterned well at all at around 35-40 yards. As in I was lucky to hit a cardboard box with 1 or two pellets. I tried a few different brands including Federal but never the flight control ones.

I also tried a modified and full choke. I finally found out it liked 3" Winchester Supreme 000 buckshot. I could never find 000 buckshot in 3.5" and I'm not sure they make it so I never tried that.

Then I got this 1100 and shot some both 3" Remington 000 buckshot and some Winchester value pack 3" 00 buckshot and neither did that great at around 20 yards. I'm talking I shot the target twice with the 00 buckshot and it had 9 pellets in it. It was a 8" target with paper around it. So probably 10". I don't consider this good considering each shot had 15 pellets and 20 yards is fairly close. The 3" didn't even do that well.

This is just the experience I seem to have with buckshot.