CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: remington wads
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:03 pm 
Utility Grade

i recently was given an unopened box of "remington power piston " wads they are marked " for 1 1/8 target loads . i cant seem to find any reference to these wads in my manual . im currently loading sts , rxp , remington light 8's and have a bunch of AA's . can these wads be interchanged with any wads out there today ? i was also giver about 1500 federal 1oz. wads marked 12SO . once again are these useable in the above mentioned hulls . im loading 17.5 grains of 700x with remington sts primers . i have been away from trapshooting and reloading for quite a few years so any help would be appreciated . thanks in advance rick

Post subject: Re: remington wads
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:25 pm 
These should be the same as the RXP wads, data for them should work fine. For info for the Federal wads, try the IMR website. I haven't used IMR/DuPont powders in a while but I recall seeing loads with these components in their old free load books. If you can't find the website, try Hodgdon as they recently bought out IMR. uglydog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:30 pm 
Field Grade

the federal 12SO can be used in all the hulls you mention but not in 1-1/8 oz.loads.the wads are designed for 7/8 oz or 1 oz. loads.lyman shotshell handbook 4th edition has all the data you need.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:01 pm 
Utility Grade

thanks for the help guys . the federal wads will indeed be used for 1 oz loads . years ago when i was into the game i found i shot better with the 1 oz than the 1 1/8 . its kinda new to me as im switching over from a one eyed shooter to 2 . also the league here has instituted an eye protection rule so its time to adjust . the shooting glasses i purchaced has helped as they have a slight magnification to them which clears things up a bit for me . you know , the old age thing has set in lol . i find it to be a relaxing sport taking my mind off buisness . also finding that mint condition citori sealed the deal . off to the loading room thanks again rick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:31 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Rick -- "Power Piston" is a Remington trademark that is generic to all of their plastic wads. Within this family are several different kinds of wads, and the box should clearly identify them. Generally speaking the RXP, Fig. 8, TGT12, etc. will require different propellant quantities and/or types.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:50 am 
I had some older Remington wads that were identidied by a number rather than a model (RXP, Fig 8, Tgt). I found load data for them in an earlier version of the Lyman manual. Check the box for a number.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:17 pm 
I had some older Remington wads that were identidied by a number rather than a model (RXP, Fig 8, Tgt). I found load data for them in an earlier version of the Lyman manual. Check the box for a number.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:29 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Some of the "old" power pistons were actually designed for the then standard Remington hull. It had a plastic hull body and a rather thick fiber base wad. The shotcups look the same as the current shotcups but the center section is somewhat shorter. That is becaue the hull they were designed for had a thick base wad and didn't have the room in it the current one piece moulded hulls have. They don't really work well for anything. I have a bunch of 20 ga wads just like that. It has the shotcup of the 7/8 oz wad but the center section and base cup or the heavy field load of 1 or 1 1/8 oz loads. They really don't work well for anything. I have loaded some of them just for grins, and they do indeed shoot, but poor crimps and erratic velocities are the norm. I decided they were a waste of shot and powder even though they were free!

BP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

Until the early 80's Remington used a numbering system for their wads. Here's a conversion list from the numeric to the present alpha/numeric system. I also have a graphic listing of Remington wads with pictures and measurements of each wad. If you want a copy, let me know
TerryS

Remington Wad Designations - by gauge/bore
W 29922 = R 12L
W 29924 = R 12H
W 29926 = RP 12
W 29928 = SP 12
W 29930 = RXP 12
W 23694 = RPA 12

W 29932 = R 16
W 29934 = SP 16

W 23678 = RP 20
W 29942 = RXP 20
W 29944 = SP 20

W 23680 = SP 28

W 23668* = SP410W
W 23670* = SP4103
* = shot container, not power piston wad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:55 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

TerryS -- Thanks a bunch. I had that list around someplace, but I couldn't find it. I've printed your list off and stapled it inside the Lyman manual. Maybe I won't lose it again.