CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SAMMI pressure chart
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Anybody know where I can find the SAMMI data for sh :shock: t guns. I used to find it with the powder manuf. paper data. I've run several searches on this site and on the web to no avail.

I'm primarily looking to see what the 12g 3.5" rating is, but really would like to see it from sammi.

Thanks in Advance!

Post subject: Re: SAMMI pressure chart
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:47 am 
Presentation Grade

http://www.randywakeman.com/shotgun_pressures.htm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks Wobbly1,

it may not be a SAMMI site but it was good reading and it helps explain the higher pressures found in Lyman's 5th ed. for 3.5 steel loads that were above the 11500 that I was familar with.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:30 am 
Crown Grade

Another good SAAMI pressure link:

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/saami_pressures.htm

(Shotshells are at the bottom).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks S2R...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:30 am 
Presentation Grade

Swampwood,

The SAAMI documentation you are looking for is here... the ANSI Voluntary Industry Performance Standards for Pressure and Velocity of Shotshell Ammunition...

Page 8 contains the performance parameters chart. The maximum pressure values (MAP) are given in hundreds... (eg) 125 = 12500, 140 = 14000

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:32 am 
Tournament Grade

What about the chamber test pressures of the major firearm manufacturers? Is there any data out there showing these test pressures? I would think it should be close to at least twice the normal maximum cartridge / shotshell pressures.
Also, is there a formula for converting C.U.P. to P.S.I.?
Thanks.

Veteran, U.S. Navy (USS Midway)

Post subject: Re: SAAMI pressure chart
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

aerod1 wrote:
What about the chamber test pressures of the major firearm manufacturers? Is there any data out there showing these test pressures? I would think it should be close to at least twice the normal maximum cartridge / shotshell pressures.

I'm not the one in the know, but I'd say the SAAMI guide lines set the pressure maximums. Now the Gun manufacturers could build to a higher standard, but the standard is the job of the SAAMI group. If they did build to higher pressures I wouldn't think they'd acknowledge that pressure. Doing that might encourage someone to pack more powder or other experimental components into a home brew and severly exceed the SAAMI max.

aerod1 wrote:
Also, is there a formula for converting C.U.P. to P.S.I.?
Thanks.

From what I read I don't think a formula exist.

SW

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:23 pm 

There is no conversion formula from CUP or LUP to PSI

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:06 pm 
Crown Grade

EVERYBODY feels better if pressure is within SAMMI pressure limits & indeed, there is little reason to exceed SAMMI presure limits as very good loads can be built in all gauges without exceeding their guidelines. The SAMMI guidelines are in general, more conservative & less complicated than the cup equivalent. The quality & strength of shotguns varies greatly. A good quality 10 ga. is not even working up a sweat at 11,000 psi. Most are so massive that twice that pressure is not enough pressure to flex the chamber & barrel, yet there are others with headspace problems that should not see the 11,000 psi max. Some of my 10 ga. doubles have three times the metal in the barrels & chamber than 12 ga. guns. The 10ga. guns that are built like a tank were built like a tank for a reason. They were made for heavy loads & to absorb a lot of punishment & most of them are up to the challenge. I have commented in depth about the cup system, but it is a bag of worms. There is nothing wrong with the system itself, but the problem comes when you try to compare / convert it to the SAMMI equivalent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

What about the chamber test pressures of the major firearm manufacturers?

aerod1 -- If you are asking about the "Proof" load pressure, they are about 55-70% greater than the mean service pressure.

This is all explained in the publication Wobbly1 noted.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:18 pm 
Crown Grade

I believe, if memory serves me correctly, the service load is not to exceed 2/3 of the proof pressure. (maximum average pressure)