CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reloading 410 Slugs/Sabots for Taurus Judge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hi,
Where does one start, I been reloading 410's for skeet and backyard shooting for a few years now. I would like to use 2.5" hulls need help with primer, power, wad and Slug/Sabot choices. Also need an on line saler for 410 Slugs/Sabots. At this time it is for fun target shooting as I just got the Judge as a fun item. Shot backyard clays with it Sat. and had a blast, now want to do some target shooting. Best/Good ways to cut shooting cost are also needed
TIA,
ncreb410

Post subject: Re: Reloading 410 Slugs/Sabots for Taurus Judge
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:57 am 
Limited Edition

Reloading sabot slugs for a 410 ????

This is about as close as your going to get:

http://smallboreshotgun.wordpress.com/2009/05/07/the-125gr-410-slug/

However, if we are talking loads for the Taurus Judge I would not recommend slugs. 45-Colt loads with give you better performance then 410 slugs for a single projectile load. For buck-shot loads your best bet is 3@0.395" round balls cast from hard WW alloy; Lee sells a cheep mold in that size. Even then unless you have one of the longer barrel versions of the Taurus Judge terminal performance is still going to be less then stellar.

Still, such hand loads are better then any factory buck loads. Most factory buck-shot loads use too soft of lead that doesn't stay round and a 0.395" ball size is like off the scale five ought (OOOOO) buck. With buck-shot out of a 410, bigger is better - your only going to get three or maybe four pellets of buck crammed into a 2-1/2" shell any-way so you should use the biggest possible balls. Anything bigger than 3@0.395” balls in a 2-1/2” shell and you start running into pressure problems because your trying to push a total load weight that’s better suited to 3” shells. In truth 3@0.395” from WW alloy is a little bit on the heavy side for a 2-1/2” shell as well but it can be made to work. In 3” shells you can use 3@0.410” balls cast from the RCBS mold but that mold it’s harder to get and more expensive then the Lee 0.395” mold anyway.

To the most serious charge of "ARMING WOMEN" I plead guilty on multiple counts.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

Sabot slugs don't do a 410 much good. There are very few rifled 410 shotguns out there. In a judge a 410 sabot would never touch the 45 caliber rifling of the barrel.

The only commercially available 410 slug for reloading I know of it from Ballistic Products.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/prodin ... er=0721641

It is just a 0.375 lead round ball and a special wad to fill up a 2.5 inch 410 hull. As turbo1889 points out you might be better off with 45 Colt for plunking in a Taurus Judge than 410 slugs. If you get a press setup you can reload 45 Colt really cheap if your using cast bullets.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the info. (mcbirch & turbo1889), I have never loaded slugs or sabots before very good starting info. I will keep looking for 2.5" "Heavy loads" recipe. Also I will start getting Info. on the 45 long colt (I am looking low cost fun) lead bullets and reloading same. Please any info. at this time will be helpful.

ncreb410

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:12 am 
Limited Edition

The link I originally posted to the semi-sabot load that uses a 0.358" wad cutter inside a cut down 410 shot wad as a sabot works fairly well out of a 410-bore long gun. From your original post it sounded like you have long guns in 410 as well as your Judge. I will say, though, that I'm not too keen on the powder load they suggest for that combination. Red Dot is a pretty fast powder to use in the 410 even for slug loads. About 15 grains of 2400 powder will give better velocity and less pressure and won't wear out hulls as fast when loaded in the exact same combination suggested in the link for that slug load. Or at least it did for me --- your mileage may vary and you copy that load or my modification to it at your own risk.

You should go check out McBirch's web site --- especially the section on his tests with the Judge.

http://mcb-homis.com/

http://mcb-homis.com/judge/index.htm

Now if I'm correct in my suspicion that you have 410-bore long guns that you want to reload slug and buck for as well then there are some other sections on his page that your going to want to check out as well.

Both McBirch and myself are the two main "tinkers" on the web right now who fiddle with reloading 410-slugs. He does better analytical testing then I do and does better write-ups then I do and sooner or later anything I come up with as far as 410 slug designs gets sent to him. So long story short bookmark his web site and check it for updates every month or so if you want to stay up to date on the most relevant info on 410 slugs including reloading them. If you run some searches on my user name on the cast boolits forum you can also find some interesting but rather long and sometimes rambling threads on some of my experimental 410 slug designs. Be warned, though, they are exactly that --- Experimental. And not all experiments turn out as planned.

To the most serious charge of "ARMING WOMEN" I plead guilty on multiple counts.