CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: gas driven clays carts ie:E-Z go-Club Car-etc.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Giving serious thought to one of these at age 69. Looking for personal experience with these and your opinions. Thanks.
Chris

Post subject: Re: gas driven clays carts ie:E-Z go-Club Car-etc.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I know several people that have them and I have ridden in several of them. There is nothing wrong with them at all. They actually do ride a little rougher on bumpy ground than the Rangers, Rhinos, Gators, and probably others that I can't think of now which have the independant suspensions front and back.

NSCA #604835
Click here to see my home club
Click here to see my favorite place to shoot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:26 am 

The EZ-GO Clays Cart has most everything you will need and 4 seats. The others are faster and have better suspensions but generally hold 2 folks, shooting fitments are add-ons generally. Your local EZ-GO dealer is probably dealing now!

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Chris: I have had my EZ Go Clays car for 6 yrs...gas, seats 4 and has room for our stuff.

I have replaced one battery.

The 2 seater EZ Go carts have an 8 hp engine and the 4 seat ones have a 15 hp.

One of the best buys I have made.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:38 am 
Crown Grade

Here in the golf capital of the world, folks use a variety of carts from a variety of makers. - Most folks add a lift kit, scabbard-style or ATV style gun holders, and at least one rack of sorts for shells, bags, etc. Some have built in coolers, many here have ceiling fans to help with the summer heat. (There are some in The Villages that are enclosed with A/C units). Gas vs electric seems to be about equal, although there has been some rumors as of late that a course or two may disallow gas because of the noise when someone is shooting (whether true or not I cannot ascertain) - Battery drive IS quieter, torque can be awesome - they need replacing after about 7 years or so. Gas carts are noisier, can be faster, can sometimes have fuel issues (filter clogging, etc).

IMO, it is really a tossup - either one, especially lightly used, will be far less expensive than the UTV Mules, Rangers, etc. They can, however, be equipped with flat beds so they seat two but can carry lots of stuff, so if you have an acre or two and need to haul mulch, etc - it can be done.

Golf carts also use a smaller and lighter trailer (less expensive)

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:14 am 
Crown Grade

Chris, I too have a E Z Clays Car, LOVE IT - I also own a Polaris Ranger and a Kawasaki Mule - for Sporting Clays use the Clays Car is hands down the winner IMO. Around the farm/ranch - the larger UTV's are the ticket.

RTA48

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:15 am 
Utility Grade

I've had an EZ-Go for about 10 years. One friend uses a Club Car. Two others have EZ-Go carts. We use them extensively, mostly because of age and health problems that would prevent us from shooting. Any of them will carry you and your gear, plus a buddy (or two). Also, Yamaha makes a very good machine. There are some differences among the various brands that are basically unimportant. My EZ-Go is bigger, my buddy's Club Car is lighter, and the Yamahas are faster and more nimble. Maintenance to carts has been minimal. Trailers seem to have problems with lights and wiring, mostly due to corrosion-- irritating, but easy to fix. ( Any of the carts can be turned into junk by idiotic driving or general use by grand-children.)

We all agree that renting carts would be the most logical and financially responsible way to go if we were to start over. Trailer hitches, trailers, licenses, inspections and various accessories add to the basic cost of the cart itself. Rental fees
for a year of an active shooting schedule would not buy a cart. We also agree, however, that having our own carts is "cool".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:54 am 
Presentation Grade

My shooting buddy and I went through this back in May. We priced a new EzGo and Club Car both lifted, boxes on front, custom wheels and 4 seater with 2 gun scabbard tech mounts and 2 reg gun mounts. Once we really started getting serious prices in on brand new machines we decided we needed to look at the Mule, Polaris, etc.

Well we found a Mule 3010 Trans 4wd (seats 4) for same money from one and within $300 of the other. To us you just get a whole lot more for your money with the Mule.

In our research the Mule uses the same motor as the new golf carts (they recently have went to the same motor in the golf carts before they were powered smaller) and our local range has 3 with close to 3K hours without much trouble and if those guys can't tear one up then they can't be tore up. It isn't hardly any faster and it not really a "fun/play" machine but more made to work, top speed is 25mph so not much appeal for the fast stuff.

We will have to buy a top at some point that the golf cart already had but we just haven't found one we like.

As for the trailer, we are using the same trailer we would've had to use for the golf cart...keep in mind that a Polaris wouldn't fit on this trailer it is wider than the Mule. We use a 5x10 trailer.

It is heavier and might cost us a mpg to tow but it has a lot more room to put stuff and has a lot more passenger room than what a golf cart offers. I wanted a golf cart from the get go and my buddy wanted a UTV. I am glad he swayed me over because I don't think now I could be happy with a golf cart.

Good luck and sorry to muddy the water a bit. As for carts if you are thinking resale the gas ones resale is slightly better and that is the only difference I have seen that wasn't mentioned above.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:30 am 
Field Grade

I seem to have accumulated all of the above - Yamaha gas golf cart (with rear folding seat and gun/ammo racks), EZ-Go electric cart and Kawasaki Mule (along with an assortment of 4-wheelers rigged for shooting).

The Yamaha gas cart has been the most reliable with no problems over about 7 or 8 years of nearly daily use. The electric cart needs frequent use to keep the batteries happy. The Mule earns its pay around the farm but the Yamaha actually gets used more often due to the convenience and I don't find it as convenient as the Yamaha at the range not is it as easy to load and haul.

The 4-wheelers are reserved for hunting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I just happen to have one for sale!

I have a 2006 EZ GO Clays cart with custom wheels, lift kit, SS custom exhaust system, and chrome wheels for sale.

This cart was used very little.

$5,500.00

Send me an e mail if you are interested.

KRIEGHOFFK80@LIVE.COM

Pittsburgh, Pa. area

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife

Krieghoff K 80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
NSCA 546619
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:19 am 
Crown Grade

I am retired and live on a working farm. I already have a John Deere Gator & a Polaris Ranger EFI. These are 2 seaters and would like the ability to trasport 4 easily when needed. the E-Z Go 7 Club Car just seem more suited to my shootin needs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Everybody around here adds a jump seat in the bed and a cargo rack in the receiver to transport 4 or in the case of the Ranger crew, 6.

NSCA #604835
Click here to see my home club
Click here to see my favorite place to shoot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

Not wishing to hi-jack the thread, but move it in a slightly different direction.
Does anyone know the difference in gas mileage between an EZ GO on a utility trailer vs an enclosed cargo trailer or an enclosed V nose trailer.
I haul from Canada to Florida through the slush and salt in January, so the enclosed has some appeal, plus I can put more in it. I presently have a 5x10 utility trailer. Seems to be there is an awful lot of drag because of the 'dirty' aerodynamic profile of an open cart with roof. I'm thinking of an enclosed one, but don't know what will happen to mileage. I'm thinking of a 6x12 so I can balance the tongue weight.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

Doug...the price of an enclosed trailer goes up due to the height of these things with the tops on them. I liked that idea a lot but found that the standard height enclosed trailers didn't work for a Mule/golf cart.

I know that doesn't answer your question but I can't image being any different. The drag of the cart aero should be offset by the additional weight of the trailer. My 2 cents.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:53 pm 
Field Grade

If you are pulling that far get your self a V nose trailer you will not regret it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:33 am 
Field Grade

dhwbailey,

I would look at the enclosed trailer, but keep in mind that on the small ones the entrance hieght is usually not tall enough for the roof to clear on a clays cart. I had this issue so went with an open Aluma trailer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

I split the difference. I bought an EZGo workhorse. I have a slide in seat that goes in the hitch and sits in the bed. Plenty of storage in the bed with the seat in.