CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Model 12 disassembly
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:53 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi All,

After years of waiting, I've finally picked up a Model 12 (ser. no. 1355406). I'd like to restore the wood finish, which will require removal of a heavily brushed on layer of polyurethane yuk.

I've scrounged for disassembly instructions and found a write-up in the archives of "American Rifleman". However, disassembly seems to be limited to removal of the trigger assembly and breechbolt.

At a minimum, I'd like to remove the buttstock (easy enough, as I've found the throughbolt). However, how does one remove that corncob forend? I'm aware that there are takedown models, and that mine is not among them. So, is this a job for a gunsmith, or can I do this at home? Given detailed written instructions, I'm pretty good at getting things apart and back together and working again.

Post subject: Re: Model 12 disassembly
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:03 pm 
Crown Grade

Your's is not a takedown? :shock: All Model 12s are takedown, even the Featherweight model.
You must not know what to look for. Give some more information.

Last edited by Ole Cowboy on Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:50 am 
Utility Grade

Hmmm.... I only know what I learned in school (hard knocks). Seems I read on this forum that there are takedown and non-takedown models, and several of the examples I looked at Kittery Trading Post in Maine were tagged as "takedown" models. Others were NOT labeled as "non-takedown", but the exploded parts diagram from Winchester appears to show the barrel threaded into the receiver.

To paraphrase Forest Gump: "takedown is as takedown does". I understand that anything can be disassembled given time and determination. But is does seem that the model 12 I am looking at right now is not so intuitively disassembled as my other pump guns. So, where can I go to find the instructions?

There is a pin with an internal spring clip at the end of the magazine tube that is removable. Beyond that, it's not obvious to me what step #2 is; and getting that forend off, from the exploded parts diagram, looks like it happens at about step 10.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:29 am 
Crown Grade

Read my lips! ALL Model 12s are takedown. :roll:

No, the Model 12 does not take down like most other pumps!

That pin at the end of the magazine is the takedown pin. Don't remove it, just push it down, use it as a lever to turn the magazine tube a 1/4 turn and then push the forearm/magazine tube as far forward as you can. Then turn the barrel/magazine assembly a 1/4 turn and remove it from the receiver. Should take about 10 seconds.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:35 am 
Crown Grade

dmg4 wrote:
Seems I read on this forum that there are takedown and non-takedown models,

This is true of the Model '97.
The takedown model, BTW, takes down the same way as the Model 12.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:12 pm 
Limited Edition

http://www.americanrifleman.org/Gallery ... =22&gid=11

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:45 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks guys. My apologies if this is trying your patience. This is my first encounter with the Model 12. It took 7 seconds to get the shotgun taken down to the 2 basic subassemblies by following the above instructions, so I am teachable. I'd still like to remove the corncob forend to remove the gooped-on varnish. It appears from the part diagram that part #27 is the "action slide sleeve screw cap" which retains the forend on the action slide.

What are the steps that precede the removal of part#27, assuming that it would then be possible to slide the forend foreward and off the action slide?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:13 pm 
Crown Grade

There are several things that have to be taken apart, but the main thing is that you will need a special spanner wrench to remove the nut at the front of the wood.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:54 am 
Field Grade

Alright, here's two links for ya':

http://www.americanrifleman.org/Article ... 1550&cid=2

That also has the exploded view, it's numbered.

And this:

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/vie ... php?t=7289

hope that helps!!

BTW, the first links doesn't say anything about how to remove the barrel, even though it has to be done, at a certain point before you can go on. I had to search online to figure it out, but you already know how to do it, so that's fine. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:11 pm 
Field Grade

So how exactly do you go about cleaning a model 12? Like, what cleaner?, what oil?, etc. Some type of step-by-step instructions would be great!! Could someone word it like I have never cleaned a gun before? (Which is almost the truth! :-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:48 pm 
Utility Grade

Quote:
There are several things that have to be taken apart, but the main thing is that you will need a special spanner wrench to remove the nut at the front of the wood.

Yep. I can make the spanner.

Now, if I'm reading the exploded view parts diagram right, those above referenced parts would be, after takedown, removed in this order:
1. the magazine locking pin
2. magazine plug screws (2)
3. magazine plug
4. magazine plug stop
5. magazine band bushing screws (2)
6. magazine band
7. action slide handle retaining spring
8. action slide sleeve screw cap
and...voila... the varnish-glopped action slide handle (or forend, as I've been calling it)

Do I have this dissassembly process right? If not, please advise.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:45 am 
Field Grade

I'm not exactly sure, as I'm not currently looking at it, but last night I completely broke down my gun, and I couldn't figure out how to get the actual wooden grip off of the magazine. I could get the magazine separated from the barrel, pretty much in the way you said (I actually took off the screws before taking out the pin, and make sure you let it up slowly, or the magazine spring will fly out.) But I couldn't figure out how to get the slide off of the magazine (That is what you want right?) You can probably figure it out looking at the exploded view. Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

AFP - To remove the slide handle (and wood) from the magazine tube, you will need a special spanner wrench to remove the "Action Slide Sleeve Screw Cap". I always just called it the forend nut. The nut has to come off before the slide handle can be removed from the magazine tube.

dmg4 - That sounds correct from my memory.

To both, these books are invaluable:
Winchester Model 12 Takedown Guide

Model 12 Sequnce Manual

*Disclaimer - I am not connected to either seller, other than being a satisfied customer of one of the sellers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:54 pm 
Field Grade

OK, I got the takedown guide, and it's great! A couple things though, I started taking down my gun, but when I got to step 6, it says that the top of the spring goes in a recess, and the bottom attaches to the shell guide plate. I don't have anything like that, but there's a groove that the spring sits in, so I guess it's just different cause mine's from 1914, so they might have changed it slightly later on. I'm thinking the same type of thing in step 7 where it says there should be a small hole in the hammer spring guide, but there isn't one. I also can't "drift out" the cross pins. Anybody know anything about this?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Why do I get the feeling that your going to screw this gun up?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:42 pm 
Field Grade

Awww now, come on! ;-) I'm gonna take this thing to a gunsmith as soon as I can get my parents to make the 45 minute drive to him :-) I just want to take it down, and give it a good once-over before hand! :-)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

With steps 6 and 7, you're really going down further than you need to for a thorough cleaning. Just removing the single screw and dropping the trigger guard assembly is plenty enough to clean it out.

As far as drifting out pins... The guide doesn't really explain what driftng is - it assumes you are experienced and knowledgeable about it. There are some pins and screws which should be staked. Bottom line, don't mess with them unless you know what you're doing (Not saying you don't - maybe you have a machinist in the family to guide you).

Anyway, all you need to do for a good cleaning is to drop the trigger guard. If you want to go just a tad further, read ahead to removing the cartridge cutoff, ejector, and bolt. Don't break any of those assemblies down any further. That is more than sufficient to give it a thorough cleaning.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:52 am 
Field Grade

OK, Thanks!! A retired gunsmith friend of mine said that one of the best ways to clean it is to put it in almost boiling water, so that it heats up the metal enough to make it evaporate when you take it out. Or if you can't get it that hot, use compressed air to dry it off. Then put a little bit of oil on it, and put it back together. Will that work good?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

I wouldn't do it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. When I hunted with a muzzeloader, we cleaned the barrels with steaming hot, soapy water. A muzzleloader barrel is one thing, but a m12 receiver/bolt/trigger guard just has too many little places to retain water.

It also depends just how dirty it is. The m12 I picked up last week is an old 2 9/16 gun that has been heavily used. I removed the trigger guard and it really wasn't dirty at all. I just wiped it down with Hoppes, then oiled and reassembled it. The one before that was nearly as old and was literally caked with black crud. I soaked the parts in a tub of Hoppes overnight, then worked all the crud out with q-tips. Your gun will fall somewhere between those 2 extremes. Use cleaning solvents made for the job, and just clean what needs cleaned. If you take it to a gunsmith to be cleaned, you might consider taking it to a different smith.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

My M-12 (1942 production) needs cleaning out. Happy to discover this thread. I've also read the two links given. Maybe I haven't studied the directions carefully enough.

Should the barrel/magazine tube/slide assembly first be removed from the receiver before the trigger assembly is removed?

If it is not necessary to remove the barrel assembly, should the bolt be locked up against the breech, or pushed back into its rearmost position, before taking out the trigger assembly?

Also, does it make any difference if the safety is on or off when removing the trigger guard assembly?

I don't wish to gut the entire gun, only clean out what I hope is a lead pellet that seems to have jammed the trigger.

Thanks.