CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: winchester model 37 steelbilt 16 ga
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:44 pm 
Utility Grade

OK i am new here have been trying to re-search this gun for a week or two with not much luck

ok it is a Winchester Model37 steelbilt 16ga then has a stamp that says CHOKE

on the bottom of the gun where it is stamped Winchester you can see that it was red at one time can still see some of it. It is a single shot break action with a lever that moves side to side to operate the break action it has a 30inch barrel

was given to me by my uncle bout 15years ago and he said it was his grandfathers???

Post subject: Re: winchester model 37 steelbilt 16 ga
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The model 37 was manufactured for about 25 years or so, discontinued in the early 1960's. It should be a full choke. Years ago, they were a favorite at turkey shoots, but that seems to be a dying thing in my area.

During their quarter-century run, Winchester made about a million model 37s. I don't know what percentage were red letters, but the Blue Book claims they demand a slight premium.

Post subject: Re: winchester model 37 steelbilt 16 ga
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:57 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Also, there is no really good way to date a M37. They were good solid utilitarian shotguns but they seemed to have alot of recoil. There is some collector interest in mint examples, especially in the 28 & .410 gauge guns with the original box and paperwork,etc.