CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Savage Model 720 Values, Parts Availability, etc.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:15 pm 
Utility Grade

New user here, and this is my first post. I hope that doesn't breach forum etiquette.

I am considering purchasing a Savage Model 720 that has been listed locally (Connecticut) for $275. The complete description is, "mid '30s, mint shape, shoots great." Before I contact the seller and ask for more information and photos, I'd like to learn a bit about what it might be worth and whether it would make a good shooter. I've spent a few hours researching, which lead me to this site, and have come up with very little useful information. Recent sales on Gunbroker.com ranged from about $100 to $300. There were only two or three altogether (although a lot of listings for much more that nobody bid on), and those were for US marked guns, which seems to enhance value. For some reason, I could not search the term "720" on this site.

I'm hoping that somebody here may have some insight into current real world values and some experience with how the Model 720 is as a shooter (including parts availability if something breaks). I got interested in this because I was looking into Browning A5s, so I'd be interested in hearing how the Savage 720 compares, as well.

Thanks in advance.

Erik

Post subject: Re: Savage Model 720 Values, Parts Availability, etc.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:50 pm 
Utility Grade

Anybody? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

Welcome to the forum! You might want to post this question over on the "I LOVE MY" Browning Forum as these were licensed runs as an A-5 variant. They are quite nice and seem to handle well in my experience.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:58 pm 
Utility Grade

TheBlue Book of gun Values lists a 100% condition Model 720 at $225
It was produced from 1930 to 1949

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:39 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you! That's very helpful. I'll swing on over to the Browning Forum too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:09 am 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

I can't tell yo much except that many years ago a friend in my unit stationed in Germany had a parts gun that had the Savage receiver and a plethora of both Browning and Remington parts in it. I don't know what from where, but the barrel was not Savage, and other internal parts were not Savage either. I suspect some Model 11 Remington and A-5 Browning parts may fit, but I wouldn't take that to the bank. Probably not a bad buy, but I'd probably hold out for a Browning or Model 11 Remington and let a Savage collector have the 720. Parts are still around for both of those, in the event you may need them, but that rarely happens.

You might check with Numrich arms/Gun Parts in Hurley, NY I think it is, for parts for a 720. If they don't have them, it's a crap shoot. I know a guy locally that bought a bunch of old parts form an old 'smith that, actually got sent to jail for violations related to full auto and illegal alien gun sales. He died in the klink! He's got lots of Nobel parts, like there is a demand for those. Sometimes that stuff surfaces, but.... Don't count on it.

BP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:57 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the information. That's definitely helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:40 am 
Utility Grade

Can anybody tell me what Bluebook 100% condition really is and how relevant Bluebook pricing is to actual sales? I'm a real newby to the used gun market.

I did get some pictures of the gun I'm thinking about and I have to say it looks exceptionally nice. Not perfect, but the finish is really good on both wood and metal, no dings or chips, screws look good, etc. It looks to be in remarkably good shape for a 70 or 80 year old shotgun (to me). It's a fairly basic, non-military model with some simple engraving on the receiver. Based on Blueboook and the range of sales I've seen, which isn't many, I would guess $200 is about right, but honestly that seems kind of low for a good quality, classic gun as nice as this one seems to be. Still, I don't need this gun, strictly speaking, and I don't want to either overpay or insult the guy with a lowball offer, so I was hoping to get some more insight from you guys.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Two years ago I bought a Savage 745 (alloy receiver). I paid $180 and it is mint. It did break, but the gunsmith was able to fix it.
Since you are in CT as am I, there is a really good gunsmith shop in Stratford. Gunsmithing Limited. I have never been there, I always ship, but they are good.

Always lowball. Don't worry about insulting, you will likely never see the seller again.
Make sure all the parts are there, rings etc. See if you can take it apart, at least the barrel off, and check the various parts are present. Better still if you and seller could go shoot it somewhere. Set the rings for light loads and shoot some very light loads to see if it will cycle. Check the fore end for cracks. If it doesn't have them now it will when you start shooting. I suggest fiber-glassing the fore end before it does. I did it to mine, unfortunately it was after I cracked it. Mine is an excellent shooter.
12 or 16 ga?
16 ga would be worth more.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:51 am 
Utility Grade

It's a 12 gauge. I will definitely try and shoot it before buying. If I can't, I'll at least do a detailed inspection. I'm going to post over in the Browning section and ask for tips on inspecting these. Thanks!

BTW, Stratford's pretty close for me so I'll have to check those guys out.