CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Turkey, ham shoot shotgun 8 foot long barrels??
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

We have several turkey shoots here in the fall, I have seen people try all sorts of things to win, one guy even brought his benchrest shotgun with a 8' long barrel, which would have put him 8 feet closer to the target except he was told to keep the end of the barrel in line with the other guys so it didnt help him any..is there anything you can do to get a really tight pattern at 35-40 yards? the object at the shoots is to see who can get a pellet closest to the x in the middle of their target. I even took a h&r 12g with a 30 inch barrel, sent it to have the forcing cones extended, and a #2 card shooting choke installed, it was the tightest choke avaible at the time, but at 35-40 yards the gun didnt do any better than a regular turkey hunting choke did..thanks!

Citori 12
Citori 20
7..1100's
Charles Daly 12
Ithaca 37 16
Ithaca 37 20

Post subject: Re: Turkey, ham shoot shotgun 8 foot long barrels??
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I know nothing about turkey shoots... I've never been to one (but would like to check it out). I do however, go to the turketshoot website from time to time- I'm assuming you already know about it, but if you don't: http://www.turkeyshoot.net/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My PolyChoke has brought quite a few hams and turkeys home. I think some folks put too much emphasis on chokes and barrel lengths.

Anger is a condition in which the tongue works faster than the mind.

Why do people who know the least know it the loudest?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:05 pm 
Field Grade

My brother used to run what we called "Meat Shoots" or "Card Shoots" . They rewarded the closest shotgun pellet scored near a red X (or dot) on a white card-stock card.

Target looks like a printed bulls-eye shape, red mark dead center, printed on white card (usually about 5x7 inches , or so).
Checked by judge(s) using a back-lit illuminated table.
Most "games" have (ideally) eight to ten folk shooting a "round" , each person fires a single shot (or sometimes 2 single shots) at their own single card.
Cost anywhere from 1$ to $5 per person per round.

GAME:
One person shoots, card is collected by a 'house boy' : new card is mounted, then another person takes turn, till all have shot.
Closest pellet to center dot wins when all the cards are reviewed. Tie/draw is decide by shoot-off.
Winner gets turkey , or ham, or country bacon, or cash, or bottle of booze , or new shotgun....whatever the "round" has announced as a prize.

Many of the shoots were for charity or fraternal functions. American Legion, VFW, stuff like that. Lots and lots and lots of beer gets consumed, much food is eaten. Mainly luckiest shot wins. Fun for all.

RULES are vague and vary by the House BUT generally >>>
-A set distance from the shooter bench to the fixed target (some I've seen 45 feet to 60 feet to 80 feet , others near 30 yards... pretty much what the House grounds can accommodate safely)
-Most are mainly 12 gauge , many allow 20 gauge for kids and ladies.
-A lot of Houses will NOT allow a "ringer" gun to be played. If a "gun is played , it must be laid" on the table for other shooters to use too. (thus some guys bring guns that intentionally shoot off center, so that only the owner knows where to aim them. :wink:)
-Ammo provided by the "House" (sponsor), and is usually cheap target promo 1-1/8oz, #8, 2-3/4" . Can NOT use your own loads.
-Ammo must be handed single shot by the range officer to the shooter ready at the bench. Safety first!
-Fail to fire, STOP, handled strictly by range officer.
-Many "shoots" allow scopes.
-Most allow, and prefer, a sitting sandbag rest.
-Many shoots have a 'bore gauge' that measures the choke constriction. If too tight, no play for you! {House calls the limit of constriction before the games, and will measure when requested or suspected}
-Many shoots limit barrel length to 32", some 34".
-Use your own gun, use a House Gun, use ANY gun brought and laid on the House table. [I have seen 30+ guns to use, take your pick!]

BUT, there are also "Bandit Shoots".
-Range may be longer or shorter than normal.
-Special Bull Barrel single shot shotguns can be used, and do NOT have to be offered for the other shooters to use.
-Bulls are special machined barrels & guns sold by the wizard pro-resident-gunsmiths to be 'special pattern' winners' every time! :cry:
-Custom loads can sometimes be used, but oddly many Bandit Shoots I've seen stick to the same 1-1/8", #8 , 2-3/4" promo ammo.
-Unlimited gun weights and length can be used.
Bandit range House Rules are made by the sponsor for EACH shoot. They vary a lot by geography.

A thousand Plus dollars can be spent on those Bandit guns!
Bandit Shoots are for bigger money and shotgun hustlers looking for cash and bragging rights.
Rules vary, a LOT.
Patterns are dealt with as a Masters Art with these guys.
Fun to watch. Fun to compete and especially to WIN.
But not usually for the shotgun novice.

SUMMARY:
The fraternal VFW/Legion shoots, church shoots , picnic shoots = super fun , real family stuff. Bring earplugs, let wife and kids take a shot. Pure Luck wins it.
Bandit Shoots = get a custom gun and get ready for fierce competition!

Answer to OP blkcloud1: Maybe try adding a LOT, and I mean a LOT, of weight to the gun?
Then there is always spending more money$ to seek the Holy Grail of the perfectly patterned shotgun. I honestly do not know that magic answer, but I have seen countless people try to obtain it! Most guys go to the local wizard gunsmith who has a special method that ....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Go to turkeyshoot.net and there is a builders page on the menu. Go to that page and look for $SumToys web site. This is the builder I deal with. Bill is an awsome person and will guide you in the right direction. These guys all build guns for the type of shooting you are doing. That is the type of shooting I do. Lots of fun. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:44 pm 
Crown Grade

I am curious about that shotgun with the eight foot barrel. Could you post some information on it like the maker of the gun and the barrel and perhaps a picture. The longest barrel I've ever seen was forty inches except a joke gun with a barrel made of electrical conduit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ned Fall wrote:
I am curious about that shotgun with the eight foot barrel. Could you post some information on it like the maker of the gun and the barrel and perhaps a picture. The longest barrel I've ever seen was forty inches except a joke gun with a barrel made of electrical conduit.

I dont have any pictures, I sold the guy a milling machine to use in his gunsmithing business, he wouldnt tell me much about the barrel, he did say it had several wad catchers built into and the choke was so tight that when he shot it a ring would get cut off the end of the wad and would somehow stick in the end of the barrel..he would remove it and slip it on his pinky finger and wear it at the shoot...

Citori 12
Citori 20
7..1100's
Charles Daly 12
Ithaca 37 16
Ithaca 37 20

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:35 am 
Crown Grade

Ned,

Not an eight footer but long enough in all conscience.

The Metro gun barrel by Hastings; fits onto a standard multichoke gun. Designed for use in noise sensitive areas using subsonic cartridges; there are easier ways to obtain the same result but they aren't nearly as much fun.

regards
Eug