CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: getting the bolt back into the receiver of my Beretta a301
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:21 pm 
Utility Grade

I have only been shooting for about 6 months now, but I really, really enjoy it! Skeet is what I am focusing on and although my shooting has much to be desired, my main focus is just handling the gun properly and adhering to the proper etiquette on the field. Anyway, one thing I really get hung up on is putting my Beretta a301 (my first shotgun) back together after cleaning it. Specifically, getting the bolt to properly slide back into the receiver. I find that it frequently gets stuck once it is just inside the receiver. Getting it to the point where the cocking handle can be reinserted and it can be slide to the rear of the receiver seems to be hit or miss for me. Does anyone have any ideas on how this task can be done smoothly every time :? Any pointers would be much appreciated... :)

Thanks,

Ross

Post subject: Re: getting the bolt back into the receiver of my Beretta a301
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Although I have several of the older 300-series guns (and I like them), I haven't used them as much as a 391. The problem you describe is common with a 391, and I can only assume it is also common with the older models. I haven't had that problem with an older model, but that is probably because I learned how to avoid it with the 391.

In the 391, it is often caused by putting the bolt into the receiver at a slight angle, rotated just slightly to the shooter's right side (i.e., clockwise). In that case, the bolt will go back about 1/2", compressing the recoil spring a little bit, before it stops. The solution is to take the bolt out, rotate it slightly counter-clockwise (as seen by the shooter) and put it back in.

Another possible cause, which would make the bolt stop as soon as it enters the receiver, is that the end of the connecting rod is not in the cup on the end of the recoil spring. It is a lot easier to get the rod in the proper position if you have the trigger group out of the gun when you put the bolt back in.

See viewtopic.php?f=57&t=101242 That discusses the 391 only, but the older models are very similar.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:52 pm 
Crown Grade

It also helps is you have the gun in a vertical position with the butt down on a work bench. The connecting rod will hang down and is easier to manuever in place in the cup at the end of the recoil spring.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

Albanygun hit the nail on the head. Having the receiver vertical somehow allows the rod to correctly align itself into the spring easier.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:28 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

If I have a problem getting the bolt to go in, it is seating the connecting rod 9 times out of 10. I put the gun on a table or my tailgate and line it up and lower it in as I hold the bolt together. If it stops and is not in the right place I rasie it an inch and push the magazine tube back to true verticle and the second try makes it. My guess is that those of us with a lot of pitch ( about 3 inches for me ) will have more difficulties alligning that connectiong rod because the gun is not at a true verticle position.

Last edited by astomb on Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:14 am 
Tournament Grade

I find the easiest way is to put the trigger in last, then you can actually see what you are doing while you fit the bolt :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:52 pm 
Utility Grade

First of all, thank you all for taking the time to answer my question. Now... Seamus, after looking over the info you provided and taking into consideration what the others have said, cleaning my a301 was a lot less frustrating. Especially, getting the bolt back into the receiver… However, one thing I don’t get? albanygun, Blasstar and astomb all refer to the receiver being absolutely vertical. Now, I don’t doubt the certainty of this. In fact, that approach is exactly how it is shown in the PDF manual for the Browning B80 (which I downloaded from the Internet). But, for some reason that approach does not work for me. What is working is to have the receiver perfectly horizontal to my shoulders with the top of the receiver straight up. Then, I find that the bolt will slide in. Then I inspect to make sure the rod that comes off of the bolt slide is in the little cup. Then I put back the cocking lever and trigger group. That is the way it finally working for me two weeks ago when I struggled with it for three hours and that’s how it worked for me tonight when I was able to do it a couple of times within a few minutes. Anyway, maybe I should be looking at some supplementary notes like the ones you put together. I like my a301 a lot and I doubt I will be parting with it any time soon (if ever)... :)