CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cross eye dominance eliminator advice
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A fellow skeet shooter of mine is, like myself, left eye dominant and shoots off his right shoulder. He has just purchased a gadget that sticks to the vent rib behind the front bead and it has a tubular coloured fluoro insert, a couple of inches long and behind this a sort of U shaped metal channel of similar length that all forms the one piece unit. It is sold as a cross eye dominance corrector and he seems happy that it has solved his problem. Before I get one of these myself, does anyone else have experience with them and do they generally work for most shooters who have this issue ? They cost about $60 aussie dollars each which is approx. $53 US. Thanks, Reidy.

Post subject: Re: cross eye dominance eliminator advice
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

reidy wrote:
A fellow skeet shooter of mine is, like myself, left eye dominant and shoots off his right shoulder. He has just purchased a gadget that sticks to the vent rib behind the front bead and it has a tubular coloured fluoro insert, a couple of inches long and behind this a sort of U shaped metal channel of similar length that all forms the one piece unit. It is sold as a cross eye dominance corrector and he seems happy that it has solved his problem. Before I get one of these myself, does anyone else have experience with them and do they generally work for most shooters who have this issue ? They cost about $60 aussie dollars each which is approx. $53 US. Thanks, Reidy.

If they help it is psychological unless one looks at the sight in lieu of the target. If one is concentrating on the target then no sighting devise on the end of the barrel will be of value.

259xx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:04 pm 
Crown Grade

There are several ways to deal with cross-eye dominance.

Tape / dots - small piece of translucent tape over the dominant eye, place in such a fashion as to preclude that eye from being able to see the end of the bbl.

There are different front sights such as the one you are looking at - also look at a EZ-hit sight that is less $ and gets good reviews.

Train yourself to shoot with the dominant eye / hand. If you're right handed but left eye dominant - learn to shoot left handed.

I believe there is aso the school of thought that says you can train your weak eye to be the master eye. This is difficult and requires a dedicated training regime to accomplish from what I've read.

Shooting with your dominant eye is probably the best solution, though I'd be reluctant to do it without some good coaching.

I am seriously cross eye dominant. I use the tape method. I have dedicated shooting glasses and all my lenses are taped identically. I have put the ez-hit sight on my gun and I'm hoping that after 4 years of shooting with tape, my brain will have figured out that we use the right eye to shoot with. One of my goals for this year is to try to eliminate the tape. The tape causes me no issues that I'm aware of, but I don't hunt with my skeet glasses - so it may be an issue in the field since I don't have that crutch with me. It may be a disadvantage at clays games with inconsistant target distances as your depth perception is now whacked.

john

One of Many

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

I use them on four of my shotguns and they have increased my scores from 18-20 to 23-24 in both skeet and trap. The company, Meadow Industries, makes two versions. Your friend has one and the one I use is just the L shaped channel that attaches about 1 inch behind the front sight.

They work on the same principal as putting a dot on your lens but for me the dot took away my depth perception and it didn't seem to work very well. This works for me and I would highly recommend it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:54 am 
Crown Grade

If your dot took away your depth perception, you have placed your dot incorrectly or made it the wrong size or shape. The target should not be obscured by the dot. Only the front end of the gun should be obscured and the target should always be visible above the dot.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:47 am 
Diamond Grade

Do you have a website address for this dominance corrector?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

The web site is Meadow Industries and they are also available through Recob's. About $15.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:23 am 
Crown Grade

The Ez-hit is here

http://www.easyhit-usa.com/

its a fiber optic sight - but with a tube in front of the fiber optic that pre-cludes the off eye from seeing the sight. There are different models that basically vary the length of the fiber-optics portion of the sight.

John

One of Many

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:12 pm 
Field Grade

Reidy,

I got one of Ray Mack-can't remember the exact brand. Excellent unit but didn't help me & my intermittent cross dominance. It was just stuck on with double sided tape but its tough and the fluro bit does not break off like those tru glo sights.

Don't know where you are but if you are going to shoot at Cecil Park I can let you try my gun so PM me.

For skeet it was a pretty easy decision to decide to use a patch and I also shoot Heads Up as advocated by John Shima. That way my barrel rib is so far away the old rifle shooter in me does not take over.

regards,
JohnT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've used the tape dot on the lens for years and it works fine for me. The secret is to keep the dot SMALL. I've seen guys tape off half the lens--way too much tape. My dots are about the size of the end of a pencil or a green pea. You have to have a consistant mount and adjust the dot until you get it placed exactly right, but once you do it works very well. With the small dot, you don't lose the full view of depth perception. It just covers the very end of the barrel and bead. With shooting glasses that sit high, you never see the dot in normal wear. Only when you drop your head down on the stock does the dot drop down in front of the bead. I would try it before I bought anything. How much does half an inch of scotch tape cost?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

"cross eye dominance eliminator advice"

Right eye dominant, left-handed shooter: Close right eye. Maybe peek with right eye for low 6.
Left eye dominant, right-handed shooter: Close left eye. Maybe peek with left eye for High 2.

Closing one eye (my left) works for me, and I am a right-handed, right eye dominant shooter. If I open both eyes, I'm in trouble.

Bruce

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:03 pm 
Crown Grade

I tried a few things. Then I found one that worked. I may not be the world's best skeet shooter, but it's not because of my eyes. Now if I miss, it's because I screw up the lead, or something like that, not because my focus swaps. :o

I am naturally left-eye dominant, but right-handed.

I took a Ruger 22/45 Target pistol with iron sights and I shot 3 bricks through it over the course of a week or two, forcing myself to use my right eye to aim, with both eyes wide open. The key was FORCING myself to use my eyes this way, until it became easy to do.

No problem since, and I don't have to put tape on my glasses (a frustrating and debilitating crutch if you hunt!), close eyes off and on, etc. I can actually shoot normally and use my eyes the way they're meant to be used. This has helped in other shooting disciplines, as well, and in the field especially.

The reason to use a .22 pistol is that you can put 1500 rounds through it cheaply and quickly. You don't have to hit a moving target or anything; all you're doing is re-training your eyes. It takes a while to re-train a habit you've spent a lifetime unconsciously building. You won't be able to do it, just shooting a shotgun, IMO.

Once I developed an awareness of both of my eyes and how they were working together, it's been hard for me to imagine what it used to be like, being cross-dominant. For me, this really has worked. :)