CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adding motion to the decoy spread.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:18 pm 
Field Grade

The only thing I've used is a mojo mallard. Need to try rigging a jerk rig sometime, but has any one used the mallard machine, wake maker, or anything like that?

"If I had to choose between a duck call and a jerk cord, I'd choose a jerk cord 100 percent of the time,” Buck Gardner.

Post subject: Re: Adding motion to the decoy spread.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have used all sorts of things to make motion in the spread and quite frankly, all of em work sometime, under some situations, but I have never seen any of them work all of the time. The first year robo duck was out, it was deadly but since... you just never know when it will and when it won't make a difference. :o

In areas I hunt regularly, on private land, I use a jerk string with a near permanent weight on the bottom. It's the cheapest and easiest. I also like a couple of swimmers in the spread too. The fewer the decoys I have to move the better because I believe its important to make it look like all, or most, are moving.

Course, this is just my opinion... and I ain't a dang duck! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:31 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I think that motion on calm days helps quite a bit. i have a pair of quiver magnets that make small waves in the set. I put them on each side and near a feeder decoy.

I also have a big drake pintail that I use as "jerk" decoy. On days when the water is like glass a bag of rocks to throw is better than nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Only thing we can use here in PA is a jerk cord .... we'll set a feeder butt up with one on calm days.

I am the NRA, and I vote

"In the eyes of a tyrant, the patriot is a terrorist.." - DCx2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

1. Field decoy with the spike in the top of a PVC pipe...swirls in the slightest wind.
2. Tie decoy to a low tree branch, if available, that moves in the wind.

Jay G.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

Mallard machine was a PITA with all the cords.

Mojo and a jerk cord.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mojos, quiver butts, and jerk rigs.

The quiver butts are nice in that you set them and don't mess with them again. I think the local birds have become quite adept at spotting Mojos for what they are, but we've had decent success running multiple mojos on remotes with custom-length poles to make it appear that the birds are stacked up and landing together.

Not a big fan of jerk rigs, as the duck cancan dance :lol: just doesn't do it for me.

Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool, or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool. - Tactical Response
Embrace your wear marks. - 870Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

Jerk strings are much more effective down here in Arkansas because the ducks have seen a million robos by the time they get to us. Sometimes old school is the best way anyhow !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

Ditto on the coment about the mallard machine and chords. We gave up on that several seasons ago...PITA! We use a robo, and don't hesitate to turn it off or pull it if its not getting the results we want. If you go with a mojo, get the remote. Jerk cords work well if you can keep the dog out of the line...don't ask how i know:)

If you hunt in flooded timber or hunt standing in the water, moving the ole leg back and forth when birds aren't looking/working away does a nice job of moving the water too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:54 pm 
Crown Grade

shotgunworld wrote:
1. Field decoy with the spike in the top of a PVC pipe...swirls in the slightest wind.
2. Tie decoy to a low tree branch, if available, that moves in the wind.

Jay G.

I accidentally tossed a texas rigged hotbuy up in a tree one time last year...but I guess that's not what you mean? :oops: :mrgreen:

Jeremiah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:01 am 
Tournament Grade

I have always disagreed with the notion of the mojos simply because when they became prevalent a novice could go out with no experience and sit silently without a call and have ducks come from on high into shooting range. Perhaps I am so old fashioned I have always believed that if you want to hunt ducks you should learn the nuances of calling, setting the spread properly, and taking the time to learn all the aspects of hunting that will make you successful. When I began, there were no 4- wheelers and consequently you had to have a passion in your soul to walk a mile across a buckshot ricefield, carrying a bundle of switch cane, shells, and the stamina to tote your kill back across those miserable bogs on foot. That separated the men from the boys, who did not have the fire in their belly to work so hard! Now, I appreciate the modern conveniences that afford a 70yr old without legs to continue to pursue his passion!! That notwithstanding, I still think that those nuevos would be much better served insofar as the pleasure derived, if they would take the time to study the sport carefully and learn that all is not about the killing, but of the satisfaction of being afield with friends and family.