CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rolling block 20 gauge shotgun help
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:25 pm 
Utility Grade

Looking for any info and a possible value of this shotgun. Can't find a manufacturers name anywhere on the gun.

http://s562.photobucket.com/albums/ss67/todd_29/

Post subject: Re: rolling block 20 gauge shotgun help
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:39 pm 
Crown Grade

The action and possibly the barrel are from a Remington Rolling Block rifle. There were two models of this gun. First was the Rolling Block Model No. 1 (military style butt stock). These guns were made by altering military surplus rifles in the 1880s. Most of the guns came from New York State Modl rifles that were bored out to 20 gauge.These guns were not made b Remington. Often the guns were advertised as 16B gauge. They had 28 or 30 inch steel or damascus barrels.
The second, Remington Rolling Block Model 2 was the same except it had a shotgun style butt stock and was made from 1875 to 1892. I have read somewhere that Rolling Block shotguns were used by the military at the western forts as forage guns.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:42 pm 
Crown Grade

Husqvarna in Sweden built thousands of guns on the Remington Rolling Block action -- military rifles, sporting rifles and shotguns (Models 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 112) all under license from E. Remington & Sons and later Remington Arms Co.

http://www.skydevaaben.com/allhvamodels/info.xml

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:22 pm 
Utility Grade

I don't know who made mine either, but I swear it is a twin to your down to the patent dates. I'll post pictures if you're interested. I know from talking with my father that his stepfather pheasant hunted with his as a kid. Ed died when I was 11 and was around 80 years old, but I know the pictures taken of him with my gun are when he was between 11-15 years old. I've shot mine quite a bit as the bore and choke are still good on it. Back in 1989 a friend of mine named Phil Volmer from Utah, dove hunted with it shooting doubles and 1 triple that I saw. I love this old gun and plan on keeping it in the family.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:08 am 
Limited Edition

I'm told that Remington rolling blocks originally built as shotguns had a "sighting groove" in the top of the receiver, like the gun in the photos, whereas Remington rolling blocks originally built as rifles did not.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:46 pm 
Crown Grade

It definitely looks like someone other than Remington converted it.

If you examine the lines of patent date stampings on the top tang, it appears that the top line - which would normally say :Remington, etc, etc," - has been blanked out, as the remaining two lines of stamping are off-center.

The buttplate appears to have been fashioned, off-center, from a piece of sheet metal stamped with "What Cheer", or a mispelt/variation of what was once a common brand name for many products around the turn of the 20th Century.

Yours was an early conversion (ca. 1867-70), using a Civil War barrel - ID' via the sight dovetail in the barrel botton, under the forend.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:49 am 
Field Grade

It appears to me that the buttplate was made from a steel tool, perhaps the blade of a Butcher plane

Bob Beach